Ladies - when you marry, will you hyphenate or take your husband's last name?

If / when you get married, will you hyphenate your name or take your husband's last name in the traditional manner. If you're already married, which did you do?

Whichever is your choice, what is your reasoning for it?

Guys - what are your thoughts on women who do one or the other?

• Hyphenate
    14% (3)0% (0)10% (3)Vote
  • Take husband's last name
    62% (13)0% (0)43% (13)Vote
  • Other (explain)
    24% (5)0% (0)17% (5)Vote
  • I'm a guy
    0% (0)100% (9)30% (9)Vote
And you are? I'm a GirlI'm a Guy
Updates:
I'm curious about some of the issues that might arise with hyphenating. For example, if your daughter ends up with a hyphenated name, what will she do if she get's married? What if her husband has a hyphenated name too? Will she end up as Jill Smith-Jones-Wilson-McDonald?

Just curious how that get's handled.

Check this out:

link

0|0
19|1

Most Helpful Girl

• No

It's an immature decision (IMO) and disrespectful to the marriage and the husband.

If I'm getting married, then I'm a big girl marrying a man. I am now a "we."

If I'm still stuck on keeping my last thing then I would have a lot of growing up to do. That's just how I see it.

1|2
    2|0
    • Good answer. I'd have no problem taking my wife's last name if we liked it better, but hyphenating just seems like a hassle that creates more problems than it resolves..

• I think that's emasculating...but I'm more traditional

Plus, I like my bfs last name

• You're alright, pickled tofu.

What Girls Said 18

• I will definitely take my husbands last name. I'm not really a traditional person however, I am a little more traditional when it comes to this particular subject. And hypothetically, if I marry my current boyfriend, I like his last name better anyway.

1|1
    0|0
  • I really would want my husband's last name but if it's overly complex to pronounce then rather not as I'm planning on being a lawyer someday which means lots of clients and lots of wrong pronunciations which I don't feel like explaining. I myself have a very complex surname but in my country it's a relatively common surname which lots of people understand. If I move overseas I'll gladly give up my surname just cause I know no one will ever pronounce it right.

0|1
    0|0
  • I have a horrid last name but plan on hyphenating. Howevet my children will have my husbands last name. Sadly our family had only 2 grandchild boys so its a dying breed. I want to at least do my part and keep it while I am alive.

0|1
    0|0
  • I am traditional to some degree, so I think I would have to let go of my own surname and take his. Awww! =) Although I do quite like my own surname! =D I don't think there is anything wrong with hyphenating, but I wouldn't want a mouthful of a surname every time I introduce myself. =P

1|0
    0|1
  • I'll gladly take my husbands last name, I mean I'm marrying him, why wouldn't I want his last name? :)

1|1
    0|0
  • I will take his last name. I absolutely adore his last name. I loved it even when we were still friends. My family is just a bunch of losers and hypocrites(apart from my mother, me and my brother) so I'm just so eager to change my name to his.

1|1
    0|0
  • i took my husband's name. and it's bloody awful.

0|1
    0|0
  • I took his name.

0|0
    0|0
  • C, other

0|0
    0|0
    • You missed the (explain) part.

• I'm keeping my last name

0|0
    0|0
  • i like my last name and so does a lot of people...to the point theyd prefer calling me by my last name over my first. its short,simple and not as common. plus since I'm with an American I wouldn't want someone to mistake me and be shocked/disappointed when they find out I'm asain.

it doesn't sound right with his last name either haha

id prefer not to hyphenate either because I already have a middle name and id just have a extremely long name if I kept it.

damn I should talk about it with him haha

0|1
    0|0
  • its probable I will keep my last name...and hyphenate.

1|0
    0|2
    • Cool. Why would you be inclined to do that? I'm just curious about the reasoning. Thanks for your answer.

• I like having my own identity.i don't see the point of taking on someone elses name fully.What exactly is that suppose to prove or indicate?of course it indicates marriage,but I'm personally not into the idea.Also...im an artist and I am very connected to my name and I don't want to deal with putting someone elses name on what I do.Just my personal preference.ALSO...I have an African name and it depends on what the other name is...it might not be a good...fit.:)

• I personally love my current last name so I would probably hyphenate...but I guess I'll see when the time comes.

0|0
    0|0
  • I'll take his name.

I love my last name, don't get me wrong, but my current boyfriend (who I'll most likely end up marrying) has a decent last name too.

Now if his last name were something weird like Boove or Wenus or Weimer or something super weird, I'd keep my last name all together. No hyphenate whatsoever.

1|0
    0|0
  • Most likely I would take my husband's last name but if I really hate his last name I may hyphenate it or not change my last name at all.

1|1
    0|0
    • Like if his last name is Boobie or something I'm not changing my last name to that. Sorry.

• I'd keep my maiden name for work but in family instances go by his surname. I work in a minority profession where contacts are important. I've built a reputation under my maiden name. There's no reason for me not to use it in my personal life and it's might better for the kids that we all have the same surname.

My mother did the same.

0|0
    0|0
  • I changed my last name to his, but in unofficial situations like fb I hyphenate my last name.

0|1
    0|0
  • I'll probably keep using my maiden name professionally, to have publications, work that I do, etc. linked to the same name for continuity's sake, but legally I don't mind taking his last name.

1|1
    0|0

What Guys Said 1

• I'd have some issuies about marrying a girl that wanted to hyphenate. I'm not saying that I wouldn't if I loved the girl enough and if she had some good reasons, but in general, I'm against the idea.

1|1
    1|0
    • I see it the same way. It's not that I'm against hyphenating, especially if there is good reason to do so, but if it's just a matter of principle then I would have some concerns. I think that says something about her priorities and her views on commitment.

• Show All
    • I agree 100%.

• lol @ robs her if her identity

A girl like that is confused to begin with