What are the arguments against gay marriage?

I'm supportive f everyone's right to an opinion, even if it is not my own. I do t really judge people for their beliefs but I'm just not sure what justification there is against legalizing gay marriage across e country.

So people who are against it? Why?

My stance is, who cares. Gay marriage doesn't affect you or your straight marriage. If a church or any religiously affiliated organization wants to not let a gay wedding happen on their premises they should be allowed to say no but to ban it across the CPU Ty because t apparently violates your religion just baffles me

Most Helpful Guy

• Gay marriage is the kind of thing that the government likes to emphasize on as if it was a big deal.

Banks destroying lives, that is a big deal.

Kids getting killed over oil, that's a head line.

Gay marriage is just a way to keep the masses preoccupied with fighting each other in stead of speaking up against government.

If you are scared of being f***ed in the ass you should speak out against the banks and corporations, not two guys trying to build a life together...

• I gotta disagree that it isn't a big deal. These are people's lives here. And the fight for, and against t is very real. With that said, your follow up has earned a best answer lol.

What Girls Said 7

• People who are against it most likely are religious people who strongly believe their beliefs are right and everything else is wrong. So they wouldn't ever think to condone something they see as wrong or not okay. A lot of people are also very closed minded about things in general, as in even if its not for religious reasons they still feel right and therefore everything else is wrong to them.

Me personally, I don't care what other people do. Just my two cents but for those religious people slamming judgment down remember you are not God. So stop trying to do his job because you don't know what he has planned for anyone else or even for yourself.

• That marriage should be only between a man and a woman.

• There really isn't any logical reasonable argument behind it, aside from the fact that most people will tell you, that's what the bible says. It's stupid to me, how people will live their lives and perceive their beliefs and life experiences off of what the bible says. What ever happened to having your own opinion? I just can't believe how someone, an outsider, can have an opinion on who and what you decide to do with your life. People are so worried about what other people are doing, HELL worry about your own damn sh*t. I don't even understand how this is LEGAL!

• They are e same people (conservatives) who claim that government is too big and shouldn't dictate so many things I. Our lives. But when it comes to things like marriage equality, women's health issues, or gender equality, they need government to stand in the way. It's so hypocritical. They do like small government, they want a big government that fits their agenda

• In my religion, it's a sin and a man and women are made for one another. It's unattural for a men to have sex with another men. That's why they can't reproduce naturally.. Honestly, I believe that, but at the same time, I don't hate anyone who's LGBT. Even though I believe in men and women only, it doesn't mean I hate anyone nor put them down. And though I don't exactly believe that a men shall be with a man, or a women with a women, I symphatize them and think it's wrong when others bully them because of who they like. But I don't really care if theyre gay or straight either. Like just because I believe in men with women only, it doesn't mean I say anything nor do anything or even look at them if theyre gay or lesbian or bi. And it's not only religious people who don't believe in gay marriages.. I know an attiest who's disguisted by it. And unlike me, the religious one, he's the one who's bashing on gay people, so don't blame everything on us. And what might be right for you might be wrong for another. Everyone has their own beliefs, values and perspective of things. It's just how the world is.

• Because it was created for man and woman despite what the liberals say

• Fathers used to sell their young daughters into marriage. Blacks couldn't marry whites. But marriage has changed. Would you argue those changes were bad too?

• Chill liberal. Those things SHOULD have been changed.

• So what's so wrong about it changing again?

• Who cares its legal now :|

• In some states yes. But not every where

• It was a supreme court

• They ruled that section 3 of doma, which said the federal go t doesn't recognize same sex marriages is unconstitutional. States on their own still have the right to prohibit gay marriage

• God created marriage for a man and woman only.

• And that's fine that you belief that. But why should the rules of government be based on beliefs that not everyone in that country has? Despite what some will tell you, we are NOT a Christian nation

What Guys Said 9

• I don't think the government should be in the business of dictating what consenting adults do with each other, but, because I love a good argument I will do my best to argue against legalizing gay marriage.

As a society we create laws for two main reasons, first is to protect the rights of individuals. This is the basis for laws against murder, theft, rape, fraud, and other crimes in which one person maliciously harms another. These laws prevent one person from doing something to another person without their consent.

The second type of law are laws that are put in place to protect society and our way of life as a whole. These laws deal specifically with consensual situations, where no one is forced to do something or has something done to them against their will. Examples of this are all the laws that prohibit, regulate, or enforce the following things; drugs, alcohol, prostitution, gambling, suicide, age of consent, minimum wage, public indecency, the forced purchase of services like insurance, and animal abuse laws.

Currently, in most states, gay marriage falls into the second category. The question is this. Should it be there or should it be completely legal. To answer this it is best to look at other things that are in that category and make comparisons.

People say that gay marriage doesn't affect anyone else. Well neither does suicide, but we don't want to live in a society where it is acceptable for people to kill themselves because it goes against the morals held by a majority of our nation.

The same goes for laws against prostitution and gambling. No one protests about the rights of gamblers or Johns to live the lifestyle they choose because we, as a society, have decided that protecting society as a whole is more important than the rights of a few individuals to engage in behavior that many people find immoral.

Using this as our guide it is easy to see that gay marriage should not be legal as long as a significant portion of our society finds it immoral. The only way someone can say that we shouldn't use the morals of the majority to dictate laws is if they oppose ALL laws that fall into the second category, and believe that no laws should be used to try and provide a framework and guidelines for the way we behave in society. Simply put, to say that one persons moral belief against gay marriage is invalid, while your moral belief against, say, public indecency is valid is hypocrisy in it's most blatant form.

• It's like going to McDonald's and finding out they are all out of fish sandwiches...but you don't eat fish, idk. I don't have a problem with it. I'm straight...gay friends/family..blah blah blah. But change is scary to some people...you know...they don't want to see it. If you can close it off at a certain point you can keep the power from rising. If you snip their rights you can keep them a minority and make sure you remain the majority. Kind of like American slavery with the African-Americans but less harsh and violent. But still...it should be equal rights.

Now with churchs...i agree the choice should theirs to turn down a wedding if they want.

• Besides the obvious religion based arguments, another one is taxation revenue being lost by same gender people being able to be taxed jointly as a married couple instead of being taxed individually.

• "it's against God" lol..

Well, neither the US or any other Western liberal democracy is a theocracy, so we don't base legal and political principles on what God wants.

There is no real reasoned argument, other than the subjective biases of theists.

• It's so gay.

• It's appalling and it makes me sick to my stomach to think about, the thought of being with another man is too much to grasp.

I'm not even religious!

You can have your gay marriage as long as I get to have my traditional marriage between man and woman, but in public when I see a gay couple I can't be forced not to think less of them.

• That's the thing thou. I do t think anyone is trying to threaten marriage between a man and a woman. Aside from thinking less of them though, I think your opinion needs to be more prevalent. Is two guys having sex gross? Yea. I'd never do it but it isn't my job to decide what's right for per people. It's only their job. If your a guy who likes guys than do whatever the hell you want to do. E divorce rate is already as high as it is, why do gays threaten the sanctity of traditional marriage.

• To you and I, sure it is. But to them it's completely normal. Ey are just doing what comes naturally to them so I see nothing wrong with it.

Eventually, it will be universally legal in this country. I think the mentality against homosexuality will fade when more people become exposed to it, have gay friends and neighbors, all of that. Once people realize that they are just normal people it'll come with time. I just don't understand why we have to wait.

• If you think that the sex being "gross" should be a valid argument against two people marrying I'd take a hard look in the mirror buddy.

• It's nasty

• Opponents usually say "it was created for a man and a woman" as if it's some supreme being decided it's a great intention that only pure souls are worthy of, haha. It's just a legal contract. Even though tons of straight marriages end in divorce, and a good number also start just for gains unrelated to love.

What I like the most is that they won't admit to their homophobia and hide behind religion as their reason for opposing it, even though they don't have a problem overlooking their professed faith's restrictions on the things that are convenient/enjoyable for them.

There is also that slippery slope bullsh*t I keep hearing where some bearded a**hole with an American flag fears that "soon a man will be able to marry his dog!"

• I'd believe they weren't homophobic if they just said, we don't want gay marriages in our church. But elsewhere, do whatever you want

• According to several religions it is immoral and considered a sin. It is something that many people are just not comfortable seeing. It's a very new social change, and people are always resistant to change. There are many financial benefits to being married. This can be viewed by some as people getting gay married just for the tax benefits, or that once all the gays get married there will be much less taxes being paid and then everyone else taxes would go up.

Personally I don't really care either way, and I am religious. What I do take offense to is how the media is attempting to shove it down our throats. For being such a small percentage of the population they get a lot of attention.