Christians? Wedding Rings? Right or wrong?

I am a Christian, and I am engaged. I have been wearing a simple engagement ring every since we were engaged, and now people are telling me how sinful it is. I don't wear jewelry or makeup, because I like being natural, but I have no problem with other people wearing either one. I'd like a Christian's perspective on engagement/wedding rings, and why you feel that way. Thanks so much!

Most Helpful Girl

• The exchange of rings is done in almost every Christian wedding ceremony. However, my pastor and pastor's wife don't wear wedding rings because they don't want people to talk negatively about them wearing "jewelry". I don't see why people would bash them for wearing wedding rings, but that's their own thing.

So I personally see nothing wrong with it, it's a symbol of commitment to your husband. So do what you feel is best, and don't let other people tell you that it's sinful, because it's far from sinful.

What Guys Said 6

• first of all, congrats in getting engaged! I hope to someday ask my girlfriend to marry me too.

From what I understand, there nothing in the bible that says a christian wearing an engagement ring is sinful. how mis-informed can people be? it is also sinful to judge, if I were to add.

• Thanks! And good luck with your girlfriend! I also feel judging is a sin, thanks for answering!

• I'm not sure what they're talking about. The exchange of rings is standard in most christian services.

• Yep, my pastor uses them every time

• So there are a couple passages in the bible suggesting women not 'adorn' themselves with good and braids and that it should be their internal qualities that matter. By contrast the Song of Solomon speaks favourably of a woman adorned in jewels.

You can interpret as you will but I'd suggest there's a difference between taking excessive pride and showing off with material things, pleasing our spouse with our appearance, and wearing a symbol of a covenant.

• I completely agree, and again, its all personal preference for me

• As far as I can see it is considered pretty normal. But it may depend on the local customs.

Are you protestant, Catholic or Othordox?

• Not really sure how to classify, I'm not Catholic or Orthodox, but I am a Christian. I mostly just try to follow the Bible rather than religion.

• As far as I know (Grandson of a minister, used to be with him every day, so I know a lot about the bible), the bible doesn't forbid girls to look nice and wear jewelry.

• I don't have a problem with it, I don't find it sinful, its just my preference

• This sounds less like a religious issue and more like a cultural take on it.

• I'm a Christian and grew up in a Christian family and attended church my whole life, and I've never once heard any Christian say that there was anything wrong with jewellery or make-up, in moderation, especially not an engagement ring. What denomination are you a part of?

• My church doesn't say anything about it either, its just a personal preference, nothing religious. A friend of the family is the one making it an issue

• Well, I'd just ignore them. Pay no mind to those with a holier-than-thou attitude. Let your conscious be your guide. Personally, I see no problem with an engagement ring at all, it symbolizes the commitment you and your fiancee have made to each other, the circular shape symbolizes the cycle of trust between you two.

• Thanks, that's how I feel about it too.

• People need to stay out of everyone else's business. That is the problem today with the world. Our government watches everything we do, our social media dictates and displays our interests and everything we do, and our religions now apparently dictate how we dress and what we wear. It's ridiculous. Why can't everyone just mind their own business? All it does is create problems across the board. Tell everyone to shut up.

• Exactly! I would like to add that my church doesn't care, its just some friends of the family that are talking.. thanks for the input!

What Girls Said 6

• No, I don't think there is anything wrong with that! They are passing judgment on you which seems sinful in itself...

I'm not Christian myself, but my fiance is Serbian Orthodox and he gave me an engagement ring. Although he is not as in touch with Christianity as he was when he was younger, the church plays a big role in his culture, and wedding rings and jewelry are normal.

It's just the people around you who think that way.

• I'm a Christian and see absolutely nothing wrong with wearing jewelry or makeup. It's really not that big of a deal in my opinion.

• Mine too. My choices are my preference and have nothing to do with my religion though. Thanks for answering!

• I think this sounds absurd rings are used in every CChristian wedding ceremony.

• Um what? I'm Christian and my faith does not descriminate at all! :) if you want to wear jewelry, cool. Make-up? That's great! No make up? That's fine too! :) whatever the people wear should NOT define their beliefs! You are coming to church to hear his word and for your forgiveness of sins. I know other denominations in the Christian faith are different, but this is mine and I love my faith !!!

• I'm a Christian and I don't think it's sinful at all. I don't know if you're a Protestant or Catholic. I'm a Protestant and all of my relatives had a engagement and wedding ring.

• I have family that wear them too, thanks for answering!

• Members*

• It's not sinful