Would you be offended if your engagement ring was "cheap"?

By cheap, I mean $1,000 or less.

Don't give me the B.S. "Ohhh, I'd be happy with an onion ring!" That's cute and all, but it's not true. Girls tend to like expensive rings, what about you?

Also, when answering this, assume it's at LEAST a $500 ring... not something out of the 25c machine.

• Yes. A ring should be at least $1,000.
  • It doesn't matter to me.

Most Helpful Girl

• I don't want a flashy big rock, because it's not convenient. I want to be able to wear my ring everywhere, I don't want to have to put it away anytime I walk alone in the night. I wouldn't be comfortable wearing a huge glowing diamond alone in the night taking the subway. Besides, I would be so scared to damage it somehow !

If less than $1,000 is cheap, then I'm OK with cheap. My mother's engagement ring was something like 200 euros (approx. $260), and it's a very nice one. Apart from the fact that it is not my style, I'd be absolutely fine with that.

I want something simple, but something that clearly shows he knows me.

The thing that would warm my heart is to feel that the ring he chose is what suits me the best. It would be awesome to have a private joke in it somehow ! Since I'm a big biology fan, something related to it would be awesome.

I'm aware it is wayyy easier to buy an expensive ring rather than choosing the one that would keep up with my dreams. I guess I am indeed picky, but not about the price ^^

What Girls Said 46

• Well... To me, if a guy bought me this ring:

link

I would literally be bouncing off the walls. And I think its expencive... She also makes them in yellow or white gold that is more expensive

link

And I think that would be more of a wedding ring price... and it's around 1000$... And I think its super expensive.

And for him, definateley this one (if he would agree to it)

link

Or

link

Because lets face it, if I ever dated a guy, theyw ould have to be a geek. So I'm more of a "meaning over price" kind of a girl. Give me a chanse to show off my obsessions AND that some one would still love me for it? I'd take it!

• I'm not that much into jewellery (meaning I don't wear bracelets, rings and/or earrings every day), but concerning an engagement ring, I'd definitely like any kind really. It's what it represents. I don't need a huge stone on it, honestly, even a pearl and some more intricate designing on it would be more than appreciated. It's not the sparkle for me, it's the design and meaning.

Btw, I'd definitely at least consider marrying the guy who gives me Arwen's Evenstar as a necklace, so an elvish-evenstar-like ring design (with/without a gem/stone in it) is actually more enticing.

• I would probably be quite upset with him if he got a ring that cost more than $400 LOL. I do not wear jewelry and if I do, its custom made jewelry from my godmother. So basically, a fancy, expensive ring is total waste of money to me. My parents celebrated their 23rd wedding anniversary this weekend and neither of them has worn a ring in over a decade. I honestly don't care. I do like silver but there are some other ring options out there that I love. And not really into diamonds and big bling, as said, I'd probably never wear the ring since it will likely not last long.

I've never been one for expensive stuff. I'd care about the fact that he's asking me to marry him, not the ring.

• I really dislike expensive things, especially jewelry, because:

(1) I lose things ALL the time

(2) I'd be extremely paranoid that I'd lose it

(3) I'd feel freakin' guilty knowing a guy spent $1000+ on me

(4) I'd feel really guilty knowing that he spent it all on one things

(5) I'd more than likely lose it

(6) I've always said that if a guy ever proposed to me with a diamond ring, I'd have to say "No" because he clearly doesn't know me well enough. I only mention this because diamonds are one of the more expensive jewels and I would want something with color, which also happens to be less expensive.

• It wouldn't matter to me. If I'm that in love with a man to accept his proposal, the engagement and marriage itself eould be WAY more important to me than the ring. Money isn't everything, the fact that he wants to marry me is more than enough for me to be happy.

• Of course every woman wants something beautiful but in my opinion the cost does not and should not matter. There are plenty of beautiful rings (or any jewelry) for reasonable prices. I personally feel $500 is a lot for someone to spend on you. Only immature women who aren't even ready for married life are going to make a big deal about it. "Oh I love you but this isn't good enough, I don't care if it breaks you, I want I want I want..."

You know what I mean? That's not how life works.

For now I just have a band as my engagement ring and I'm fine with it. Sometimes I wear a Valentines present too, which was a ring online for like $100. He wanted to spend $500 but I didn't find it practical to do that when we had other priorities in life. Maybe down the road when we have less to take care of or when we actually get married he can buy a better one. I don't know I may be different than other women but I can only speak for myself.

My two cents(:

• I'd be perfectly happy with a few-hundred-dollar ring. I actually don't like when guys spend a lot of money on me at all. But all I ask is that the ring looks nice.

• No. I'd be more offended if he thought I was going to be offended if he bought me a "cheap" ring. That would just show that he knows next to nothing about me.

To me, spending more than 70€ on a ring would be expensive. What matters is what the ring symbolizes... not its price tag. I honestly don't care what the ring looks like as long as it isn't anything too flashy, and as long as it's something that won't break easily. I mean, it's just a ring. The ring isn't as important as the actual engagement and marriage.

• Besides, I wouldn't even want to know what the price of the ring was. That's like asking what a birthday present cost... and that would be rude. It's the thought that counts.

• Not at all. I would like for him to buy a ring that fits my style and jewellery preferences. He did, thankfully, and I have no idea how much he paid for it. I know it's not a super expensive ring and I would not be comfortable wearing a really expensive piece of jewellery. I love my ring and it's something I can wear everyday.

In the case of a diamond ring (as there are other kinds of e-rings, that are cheaper but you can get a bigger carat size, like Moissanite, cubic zirconia, morganite), I'd be concerned with the diamond's origins - the blood diamond trade is still alive and thriving, unfortunately.

Too many girls/women think it's all about the flashy bling and how big the rock on your finger is. It's not about the ring. The ring is symbolic and representing the intention of getting married. It should be about your relationship with each other. You don't need a ring to become engaged, or even married. My mother never had one.

• BTW, the stone in my engagement rind is a 0.50 ct F color Canadian diamond. Not the most expensive but not the cheapest either. link

• Yeah I am the rare chick that wouldn't care if there was a ring or not, much less how much it cost. People fail to realize that marriage is about love and not some stupid piece of jewelry (no matter how pretty it is). I would much rather not start out a life with someone saddled with the possibility of debt. Personally I would rather have that money spent on a honeymoon (the memories!) or possibly towards the down payment on a house. All of the people I have known that have been married for 40+ years don't have engagement rings.

Why you ask? Because that long ago people just wanted to be married and happy, they didn't care about money they didn't have or symbols that were not a big deal. I think more people need to get back to that realization.

Besides if it is THAT important nothing says you can't get a really pretty ring for say your 10th aniversary to pump it up.

• Agreed. It bothers me when a girl thinks a ring anything less than a thousand dollars or more is unacceptable. They're getting married for the wrong reasons when they do that.

• I am not sure how not being shallow equates to being desperate and unattractive?

• Less than $1000 is cheap?! :o

• Honestly, I would love to have an expensive ring. However I am well aware that my current boyfriend isn't as financially secure as my former fiance'. Even if it were an inexpensive ring, I gladly accept him sincerely offering his heart in the future. Especially since I already know what it feels like to have a large flashy ring given to me by a liar and cheat. I think the sincerity is worth way more.

• If you focus more on the price of the ring than what it represents, you probably shouldn't be getting married.

My ring was $40. I love it.

• If I knew he could afford a better one,but he's just cheap than I would be offended.

But if I knew he worked hard to buy it(assuming he has a crappy job or something) then I wouldn't mind.As most people in situation like that the guy would buy me a better one later on in life,but the first one would still be priceless to me.

You can't put a price on love ^^

• Well, I think it must be proportional to the money he has. Giving me a $500 ring if he's rich as hell may mean he doesn't really care. If he's in a hard financial situation and give me a $250 ring, I'll be really flattered. For me, what's really worth is the intention.

• $500 is very expensive. I'd rather he use that money to go on a vacation with him or save it up for a rainy day. It would be much more fun than buying a $500 ring and slapping it on my finger and not having any money to go on a nice vacation.

But if we're super rich, a $500 ring would be alright.

• Doesn't matter to me, my ring was 65 dollars I used it for my engagement ring and wedding ring. Still wearing it.

• Besides the fact that I don't plan on ever getting married...

If a guy pulled out an expensive, flashy ring...

I'd feel like he was trying to buy me.

• Yes, this is how I would feel as well. It doesn't even have to be a ring - if the guy is constantly buying me expensive things, paying for expensive stuff like the spa or massages, then yep I would think he is trying to buy my love.

• I dunno.. for me, right now, its the ring..

I don't expect things to be bought for me...

But I am, and have been, poor enough to take what is offered...

perhaps if it was extreme, like flying me out to Dubai or Japan on a regular basis...

• The price doesn't matter as long as I think it's beautiful and the gems are real. Of course the more expensive, the more bragging rights you have lol but it's not as if points get knocked off because he found a good price.

• It depends. If it was a ring I liked and it was going to be sturdy and last, it could be less. The thought behind an expensive ring is that your man is making a commitment. He's not going to spend $1000 just to run off on you. If he can't afford an expensive ring, I won't care. Like if he made 6 figures and paid $200 for a ring, then I'd be offended.

• No. I don't want him to spend all of his money on a ring. It could be used so much better. So around $100-200 would be good. I don't like bling, at all. Only silver. If he spends more than 400, I will go ballistic on his ass.

• I think $500 is too much lol. Honestly I actually like sterling silver and you can get really nice rings for really cheap. If my boyfriend and I ever get married it will be family and close friends at someone's cottage on a lake and we will have a bbq and will all get drunk lol.v

• I actually hate diamonds on rings. The less diamonds, the better. Diamonds tend to make the rings more expensive, so...

• No. In faact my boyfriend and I have all ready discussed we want to get married. And I was looking up some that we're like 700 I thought were beautiful because I think the whole 3 months pay thing is crap and it's supposed to be what it represents. Not oh he spent 3 grand so it means he loves me more

• I always said that if I was ever going to get a wedding ring, I want to be picking the ring with him. I would like something flashy but like a big diamond ring or something! I think I'd like a heart shaped ring or something like that :D Could be expensive but I also think that you should decide together because you are going to share the money that comes in together so yea.

• I can honestly say I wouldn't care, it's just a rock.

I'd rather have a cheap rock and an amazing husband for the rest of my life than an expensive rock and a crappy husband who's always compensating with materialism.

• yeah... its just a rock.

rocks are just rocks. stones are just stones. no rock and stone are holy. no water is holy. no land is holy.

• @lachrymalmplant, and really if you know where most diamonds come from, you'll feel like an a**hole throwing a fit over not getting a big one.

• I don't really like the massive flashy rings. I feel a lot of the time when a guy gives these he's giving it thinking 'ok, I need to buy the most expensive one that I can' and 'everyone needs to see that I can buy her this ring.' I'd much rather have one that may not be as expensive but is given out of love, without the essence of 'show'.

• I wouldn't care I'd care more about being with the guy I liked knowing we were happy. If he got me a really expensive ring I wouldn't mind but I'd feel it was way too much to spend on an engagement ring. I'd be happy with any kind of ring a cheap one or whatever. I'd appreciate more the fact that he wanted to marry me in the first place more than having a ring on my finger.

• No , because don't care too much for rings anyway. I hate diamonds, I'm more of a gem type of girl. I don't care too much for real or expensive jewelry, I love costume jewelry. Despite me saying this, I don't want a dirt cheap ring that looks like you just bought it out of a gum ball machine. The price of the ring would express how much the guy values me, but I don't want it too like he doesn't give a f***. Plus, I wouldn't want him to be spending that much money on me anyways, especially for something that can be easily lost, stolen, or damaged.

• I wouldn't even need an engagement ring at all, it's just a symbolic thing anyway.

• More from Girls
    16

What Guys Said 17

• I'd say it'd depend what you can afford, if you had lots of money and just bought a ring that had no real thought behind it she'd be pissed. If you were on a budget and spent what you could on something nice she'll love it.

• For me, as a guy, I probably would not be spending thousands on a ring. I wouldn't be able to afford it; and my dad has lost over 4 rings; and my mom has lost hers probably about 2 times in 40+ years.

That would have been $6000 in the sewers or in the bottom of various rivers IF they paid that much.

I'd be fine as a guy, paying several hundred. Even maybe just over $1000. My income is tiny right now. I can understand that it's supposed to be a representation of sacrifice and willingness to risk for love, but I would hope a future wife would be happy with the representation of love, but glad that I'm smart enough to not go into debt over something like a ring just for the status for something that could be easily lost or stolen.

• When we were dating 3 or 6 months my girlfriend showed me a very simple silver $10 ring, suggesting I buy two of them. That was all. 5 years later we replaced them with golden rings, when we married.Many years later, my son and his girlfriend started wearing our rings. Then they married a few years later.

Nobody was offended.

• There's really a formula for this amount, based upon the guy's salary BUT

remember ALL the important expenses ahead and this may be the LAST time such an investment can be spent as a luxury, so go for it and later inflation will take the sting out of this first cost. Each time she's complemented, she'll remember his sacrifice and symbolism of love.

Once you've spent all you can w/o starving the first year, remember - 30 years from now you can find a really good deal and upgrade to whatever that high ideal was ... the first one fell short in size (but not in heart).

• If any ladies see this

Would you be offend if a guy bought an engagement ring or wedding ring that you yourself could barely afford even though he has the financial muscle to buy an even more extravagant/expensive one?

• 2 months' net salary

And if it still amounts to under $1K, are you making a responsible choice to get married given all the other expenses?

• Love doesn't have a price, I believe in this. But if this is the woman I intend to marry and spend my life with, why in the world would I buy a cheap ring? I'd save and work my butt off to at least buy a reasonable ring that shows my commitment. Just my belief.

• Typically, the ring budget should be 2 months pay of the person who is buying it.

Good Luck

James

• mmm. onion rings.

• I only made $240 last month it's going to take forever for me to get something nice

• How much does love cost ?

Answer this and you'll know.

• She shouldn't get mad especially since she didn't get you a ring. Most guys usually get a cheap gold or gold plated band for engagement and/or marriage while women get a engagement ring and a wedding ring.

• I found a ring in the bathroom of a convention once. looked fairly new, and when I proposed, my girlfriend loved it. not that she knew.

• I paid 1100 (some 1250 USD at that time) CHF for my wife's engagement ring back in the day and she didn't like it :D So I guess, as long as you match her ideas, wishes and hopes, it'll be fine - just make sure the onion ring has cooled down long enough, boiling oil leaves horrid traces.

• I hope that most girls don't care, because I doubt that I'll be able to afford a ring over $1000. It should be the thought that counts imo.

• Lots of liars answering this question LOL.

• look what happens if a girl answers honestly though

There's a lot of poor and broke guys on here who get offended over it

• If a girl is offended by a cheap ring she isn't somebody you should marry.