Guys, would you spend this much on an engagement ring just because she picked it out?

I know a guy who knows a guy who spent $14,000 on an engagement ring for his girlfriend. He's currently in medical school and had to take out a giant loan for it.

She picked it out and was the one who convinced him to propose.

She's a GD! and he's a giant SUCKER.

So here's the kicker. What if she wouldn't accept any other ring? But you were in love? What to do? What to do?

49

Most Helpful Guy

• Damn.. my friend spent like 15k on an engagement ring too.. He had to take out a loan for it as well. In my case it would be incredibly irresponsible of me to do that because it would put me into debt. I would rather save money to invest in our future like the down payment on a house before I would spend that money on a ring. Life is short and there are far more important things than that.

Sponsored

0/2500

Send It!

What Guys Said 8

• If she wouldn't accept any other other ring,I would take that as proof that she doesn't love me.Of course,she's a gold-digger.

She wants to start a future by putting them both in debt to satisfy her own greed.That's teamwork for you.

People who say "I'll be happy when I get this or that" are rarely happy for very long.

• That's not the deciding factor. It's not about the price, it's about the ring itself, the style, the symbolism, etc.

And I think the guys a sucker if he took out a loan. He obviously loves her a lot, but that's just a bad decision. If he could afford, then maybe not.

If she won't accept it because of the price alone, then it's not about love.

• I almost spent about that at one point. I agree, it's not about the ring.

• There's no way in hell I would pay 14k for a ring. She would be lucky to get a 1k ring if it was me.

• Not a chance in the world of that happening. All it shows about her is she's very materialistic and she's probably not worth my time anymore. If she wouldn't accept any other ring I wouldn't get married to her and I would strongly consider breaking up with her

• If a girl made clear that she wouldn't accept any ring but some outrageous expensive thing (and to me, $1500 and over is outrageously expensive) then she's just a gold digger and you're better off without her.

They say "two months salary" and that's idiotic, a ploy from jewelers. Rings' resale value is not anywhere near original price, and jewelry degrades in value, usually. That two months' salary is better spent on a car, or vacation, several month's apartment rent, etc.

• Absolutely not. Before I got to the point of dreadfully accepting to marry a person, I would've already found out if she was a materialistic bitch or not. So if she "wouldn't accept any other ring" then I would not have made it that far with her to start with.

• LOL no. I don't want to marry anyway.

What Girls Said 4

• Oh man, no way. There are women who are so hung up on the ring and the wedding, and that hypothetical woman is one of them. It's different when the guy can actually afford the ring (i.e. not have to put it on credit card) and when the woman actually appreciates it for what it is, and not just to show it off to her friends. But if she demands this ring, and won't accept anything else, she's not in it for the relationship.

I would not ask for a ring that expensive anyways. They are expensive to get insured and I would worry about it all the time.

• It's different if that's what the guy chose to get/ spend his money on - but I would rather not start a life together in huge debt - for that kind of money, can buy a nice simple engagement ring and then splash out on having a decent fun wedding, and still have money left over for a down payment on a house.

• Guys with money will have no problem spending that much.

But anyone who takes out a loan to purchase an engagement ring is stupid and it's no surprise that he's with someone who wants a ring that costly knowing he can't afford it.

But like I said, guys with money have no problem spending that much, because it's also a representation of what he can provide. My sister has an engagement/wedding ring that is more expensive than that, but she and my BIL have worked hard for everything they've earned and she only got it because her original ring was stolen.

He got her the original ring when they were young and he worked hard and saved the $10,000 to buy it for her

• Find one similar for cheaper. If I was the girl then I'd pick another