Is marriage necessary or not?

My boyfriend of over a year and I shared our views on marriage. I said I'd always seen myself getting married (someday but not now). He said he didn't have much thought about it and wasn't sure if marriage is a necessity, but said he sees us together for a long time. What are your thoughts on this? Does that seem like a noncommittal response on his part?

Most Helpful Girl

• I don't think marriage is necessary. Even in marriage people don't commit and they leave or cheat, and then there are all the legal issues and custody battles to go along with it. If you are truly committed to each other, it doesn't matter if the pair are married or not.

What Guys Said 2

• The relationship is more important than the ring. If you're at the "lets have kids and buy a house together" stage, the ring doesn't matter at all. It's just symbolic, and you can write up whatever legal stuff you need to secure your rights without slapping the word Marriage on it.

If you're at the "lets move in together and buy a dog" stage, it's gonna be a bigger deal.

• It can be just an answer, more important is his attitude about you and your relationship. By the way, both of us are young people, but the final answer only depend on you and your boyfriend. Getting to know each other is important too. Travel together and live some experiences closer could be helpful.

Married is important, but when both partners agree and without pressure.

What Girls Said 1

• I guess it's good to marry in case one gets sick and has to go to the hospital and you can see them. Also you can share insurance.

My boyfriend has said what your boyfriend has said once. But now he wants to get married, but we both have to have stable jobs. I don't know if that will ever happen with what this economy is now. So for now, we're fine just living together like we're married.