Who believes in Prenuptial Agreements?

According to numerous statistics, 50% of American marriages end in divorce. With such less than favorable statistics, does anybody think that having a prenuptial is a good idea?

If you made considerably MORE (or were worth a lot more than your fiance), would you prefer or insist on having a prenuptial? Or if you made considerably LESS (or were worth less) than your fiance, would you refuse or prefer NOT to sign a prenuptial? Why?

• If I was worth MORE than my fiance - I would INSIST on a prenuptial.
  • If I was worth MORE than my fiance - I would NOT insist on a prenuptial.
  • If I was worth LESS than my fiance - I would SIGN a prenuptial.
  • If I was worth LESS than my fiance - I would NOT sign a prenuptial.
  • I wouldn't care either way, I would do whatever my fiance wanted.

Most Helpful Girl

• If two people truly love each other, then they shouldn't have a problem discussing hypothetical scenarios. It doesn't mean you have any less faith in your fiance, it just means you have enough forethought to plan for every aspect of your futures. It also gives you the opportunity to find out even MORE about your fiance, by seeing in advance how he would treat you in a less than desirable situation.

If my fiance came up with a prenup that wasn't fair, I probably wouldn't marry him, and I'd be glad that I was able to avoid marrying a selfish man in the first place. I think most people should consider a prenup as a final test before marriage - a test to see how caring and sincere your fiance REALLY is.

• I can't believe women like you! what gives you the right if a relationship or marriage go's sour to take his house or finances HE WORKED HARD FOR? there should be laws against women like you because you have no right to something that was never yours in the first place.

• Agree with euroboy

• You guys are both idiots.. there is involuntary theft (larceny) and voluntary theft (fraud).. you have little choice with larceny, someone just takes what you have.. But with fraud, someone manipulates you to voluntarily surrender what you have.. the thief deserves no more blame that the victim's stupidity.. Nobody is FORCING you to get married.. they're not sticking a gun to ur head and telling you to expose your income and assets.. if you ALLOW yourself to do that.. that's YOUR CHOICE; not her fault

What Girls Said 9

• I didn't vote, because you didn't give the choice of refusing a prenup under any circumstance.

I know in reality that marriages often don't work. But when people get married, it's a forever kind of thing. Having a prenup is like having a living will for your marriage - 'just in case' things don't work out. To me it demonstrates a total lack of faith in your spouse.

Knowing that marriages don't always work out, I would marry someone knowing that if it came down to divorce, he would treat me fairly enough that there would be no need for a prenup. In turn, he could trust me to not go after him for all he's worth in the divorce settlement.

• If the reality is, as you say, that marriages don't often work, then the dream world of a "forever kind of thing" shouldn't be considered when presented with a prenup. We live in reality and the stats say that 50% will fail.

• Well then you will only marry a fool I'm sorry but what a man works hard for before marriage is his after it would fail simple? what gives you the right to have anything unless you provided contribution financially?

• Anybody that's against a prenup is a gold digger

• I do think pre-nups are a good idea. BUT both people have to fully trust each other, because to me, a pre-nup does cast a shadow of doubt, just by being a preventative measure. Just the idea of possibly breaking up someday, no matter how realistic it may be, seems to run counter to the idea of marriage for me. But obviously it needs to be addressed. This is a confusing issue for me, because on the one hand, I know that divorces DO happen for many different reasons so pre-nups are important. But then there's the idea that I brought up above. So I guess a relationship would have to be very strong and understanding. And a side note- alimony shoud ALWAYS always always be given to support children. It is the responsibility of both parents to provide for their children. Even if the parent taking care of them after the divorce can afford it, the other should still contribute.

• I doubt the kind of man I would marry would even consider a prenuptual. Those are generally used by people who are not strongly religious, and but money as their priority.

I believe in dating someone for an extended period of time, and going through pre-marital counseling. That, combined with finding someone who doesn't believe in throwing in the towel (divorce), there really is no need for a prenup. I'm an open and honest person, and the man I will marry will be the same.

Signing that piece of paper is the same as saying "in case this gets ugly or we change our minds." That's not following what your vows said. Which is why I believe in taking your time to TRULY get to know someone, and be mature enough to decide whether or not you can truly live with someone for the rest of your life. Nobody said it would be easy...

• Marriage is a touchy subject for me, I don't ever want to get married. However, if I did want to get married and the guy was worth more and wanted me to sign a prenup, I would sign it. If I was worth more than him, I would not ask the same for him though. I feel if you get married you better be sure that you could put up with that persons faults as well as that person putting up with yours, otherwise their is no point in marriage at all. Marriage is supposed to be about love, not about how much money your worth or how much that person would take from you after the divorce. I think that a prenup is something people use because they know or think that the marriage isn't going to last anyway.

• Prenups are LAME buddy-boy. Take your best shot at the marriage, if things don't work out then everything is fair game at that point. Cross that bridge when you get there, not before.

• I would not sign a prenup. The marriage isn't about money. Marriages truly end because of finances. If my fiance and I truly love each other then a prenup wouldn't be necessary.

If I was worth MORE than my fiance - I would INSIST on a prenuptial.

• If someone asked me to sign a prenup, I would probably step back and re-exam the relationship. As others have said, when you plan getting married, it should be a forever thing. You way of thinking seems to be that you are going into something with the intent of failing, and if that is the case, maybe you are with the wrong person. If you are with someone you truly love and want to spend forever with then the thought of a divorce should be far from your mind.

• How much love and trust is being demonstrated by not signing? Shit happens and being prepared for that shit is just being prudent and practical. Perhaps you're right, the person that won't sign may be a gold-digger!

• Another gold digger

• I wonder if women realize how obvious it is to men when they try and justify gold-digging through the guise/exuse of religion/morals/etc. If they REALLY felt that marriage was NOT about money, that's EXACTLY why they'd have no problem signing a pre-nup! It's making that exact statement! I DON'T WANT TO HOLD ONTO THE RIGHT TO HALF YOUR MONEY! EVER! Any attempt to dance around doing that, as creative and subtle as you might this it is, is very obvious to ever single guy listening or reading.

What Guys Said 7

• Prenups are like insurance policies.....you don't plan on having your house burn to the ground but still carry insurance against the possibility. With about a 50% chance of the marriage ending in divorce, it would be foolish not to have a prenup if one is bringing substantially more to the marriage. The partner with less assets to contribute isn't getting the short-changed because they are still entitled to a share of assets accumulated while married.....the prenup ensures that, if the marriage ends, both leave with what they came in with.

Some people view the prenup as a self-fulfilling prophecy and planning for the failure of the union.....but how many people would jump out of a plane with a chute that has a 50% chance of opening?

Tough topic to bring up with your fiancee.....but there are many topics that pre-marriage couples fail to resolve before entering a union....and many of those lead to the divorce ie. parenting style, who's the bread-winner, who does what chores, spirituality, sex, savings, etc.

For the majority of people, a prenup is unnecessary because both are in the same financial circumstances. For those few bringing assets to a marriage, it would be advisable to protect them by asking for a prenup....for those with less, it would be greedy not to sign it if asked.

• You my friend have said everything exactly how it should be. I can only congratulate you on such a great explination :)

10/10

• The whole notion that women are automatically entitled to half of everything a man owns just because they were married to them, is bizarre! I mean I can understand when you're married you should share everything you have. But if you're no longer married, or you get a divorce, then why should I still have to share with you? (If you're not doing anything for me now, than why the heck should I still pay for you? )

This is why I think prenups are a MUST! It's to keep money-grubbing selfish women from taking advantage of poor-defenseless hard-working men.

If I was making less than my spouse or fiance I would GALDLY sign a promise that stated that I wouldn't go after anything I didn't already have, in the event of a divorce. It's that simple.

• Asker needs to select this guy as Best Answer!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• It's just one example of many laws that were penned down in a different age to protect women, but since women now have equal opportunities those laws have become socially inequal and obviously puzzle modern folk who don't understand why an equal society needs laws that favor women.

• If I was the wealthy one, no. Mainly because I wouldn't want to put the thought of possible failure into a marriage before it began. If I had less then I would sign it if she asked. If it was important to her I wouldn't even hesitate

• That's really sitting on the fence. So, the thought of future failure wouldn't enter your mind if you were asked to sign, but it would enter if you asked someone else? I'll put that down as an undecided:)

• It's not just a yes/no situation - it makes a big difference whether you're the wealthier one (i. E. The one who is getting protection from the prenup) or the less wealthy one (who is giving up rights by signing it)

• It's hardly fence-sitting to say that you would gladly surrender that protection yourself but would not force your fiance to do the same.

• "50% of American marriages end in divorce..."

Yeah, but a lot of those divorces belong to Elizabeth Taylor. Once you factor her out, then the divorce rate's ony like 2% :)

• I would pick A and C

I would sign one no matter what

too many gold diggers out there

Watch a lifetime movie!

• I'm richhhh biaaaaatch. I don't want her taking half of everything I own when she decides to run off to Vegas with the pool boy or something. That's what women do.

• Sometimes I think some people get married for the wrong reasons and that there are actually people who get married for security or financial reasons or just plain old lust. I think these are the marriages that do not last - because the motives are not right. I also think there are people who fall in love with someone, but that doesn't always mean the other person is totally and truly in love with them. Sometimes it's tough to see through a facade if you are in love. Think of all the young women or young men who marry someone who is a lot older than them. Personally, I'm not sure that they are marrying the older person for love all the time, but I could be wrong. I just don't think it's anything to mess with. There are a lot of celebrities who get married and get divorced shortly after that, and you see the women ending up with millions and millions of dollars. It makes me wonder what their motivations were for getting married - especially when you see them suing for ridiculous amounts of money. I think, also, that if a marriage ends, and people are truly heartbroken about it, they should want to treat the other person right at the end because they don't want to hurt the other person any more than necessary. Divorce = pain most of the time, so unless you are just trying to get revenge, why cause the other person more pain unless you are sadistic? Just my thoughts.