Girls, do you want to marry a man like your father?

Do you want to marry a man who is similar to your father, both as a husband AND father to your children? I'm not necessarily talking about looks either.

I mean in terms of how your father was as a parent and husband.

There's no way in the fiery abyss of hell that I would marry a guy like my dad. In some ways, I am thankful to have had him as a dad, as I know it could have been worse. I was able to have a privileged and enjoyable childhood, with my own room, tons of toys and barbies and the vacations that I will never forget. But he was and still is a horrible husband and he's a sh*tty father. Essentially useless.

Most Helpful Girl

• No.

My dad is a good man and a great father and husband, but we have the same temperament and mannerisms. I get along with my dad and am still "dad's princess" (only girl out of 5 kids), but we tend to bicker and argue about the stupidest things. We both like to be in charge and we are both bossy people. It's great in some ways because he challenges me to be a better person but in other ways it's just plain annoying to have this power struggle going on.

I am marrying someone who complements me, and likewise I complement him nicely. But he is not like my dad at all.

What Guys Said 2

• What a barrel of fun it would be for a woman to be in the middle of having sex, and then open her eyes and find her father staring down at her.

• I don't understand. If you had a good childhood and all the things he did for you, why would you not want to marry a guy LIKE him? Is it because it's too creepy to think of that sort of idea...that you'd be marrying your "father"?

Please explain this to me.

I would love to marry a girl who was like my mom, but maybe that's because I get along with my mom and care about what she thinks

• No, because there are things I didn't mention about him that I'm not willing to discuss. But as I said, he wasn't a good father or husband overall. Material items do not make up for being a bad person

• Message me and or add me

What Girls Said 14

• Yes,

I never thought about this sort of question, but my father would be my ideal man...

Physically, he is obviously too old but he was good looking when he was 20 years old.

I can't tell how my father is as a husband but of what I can see and feel when I see my mother when she is with him. She is always joyful, natural and pretty. I wish my husband would be able to make me feel that exceptional even after 30 years of marriage. A lot of friends' parents are divorced, and I feel so privilege that my parents are still loving each other.

As a father, I can't wish for a better and wonderful dad. We always had an amazing daughter-father relationship. We are never fighting. In some sense, he is my best guy friend ( I have a social life and friends, it's just that I never met a guy or girl with whom I am more comfterble with) He is funny, patient and always there for me. I don't have brothers and sisters and I admit that I am daddy's little girl, but isn't better when you have such a strong relationship with your father? I had an amazing childhood and my teenage years are not so bad and he helped me and always gave me (useful and not cheesy and awkward) advices through my 17 years of existence. I think my biggest wish for my children's (if I have kids) would be to be able to give them a father as wonderful as mine.

By the way, I was adopted, so my father is not my biological father which kinda makes our bond so special and unbreakable. I am not in love with my father, but if I could meet someone who is Inside like him, I am pretty sure I would fall in love.

Hope my answer will be useful!

• Yes. I'm already in a serious relationship with a guy who reminds me of my father. My dad was an amazing role model. I share plenty of common interests and hobbies with my dad and I really enjoy our discussions. I look up to my him and I wish I was half as good as him.So I guess I'd consider myself very lucky to marry a guy who is similar to my father.

• Yeah, definitely. There are so many things I admire about my dad, like how he has so much love for his family. He’s an aircraft mechanic, and started working the nightshift for the sole purpose of wanting to have more time with his kids during the day. I love how he treats my mom, his best friend. I love how he is really smart (book and street smart), and knows how to fix everything. I love his humor. I love his taste in music. I love how his rough past shaped him into such a strong person.

• I can't really answer that.

I never saw a bad side of my father..

but then, I also never saw him from an adult perspective, let alone an adolescent one.

I do know this...

IF I was ever to get married...

and

IF I was to ever have children...

I would want that man to be a father like mine was...

But as for what kind of man he was... what kind of husband...

I have no idea...

• NOOOOOOOOOOO!

Lol, He's not the worst man on the planet and I don't mean to make him out as such. But he was more absent than there and he has issues of his own... so no I don't want another man like that in my life. Absolutely not.

• I like that my dad is so stable and I'd like to find someone who's as stable and grounded as him. It doesn't sound like much, but it was nice having him to rely on. My mother has borderline personality disorder, and I lived with her for a little while when I was a kid, and it was like being on a rollercoaster. So that's why I have so much appreciation for the fact that my father is just so average and predictable. It's nice.

But no as a husband and father, I'd rather not.. I love my dad, but he's quite self centered, and cold and distant.

• No way.

• No Never, in fact I'm planning on getting as far away from his as possible the second I turn 18

• No.

• Um, yes and no. I've always been daddy's girl and am still to this day. My dad and I have always gotten along and we're close. It took me until I was like 20 to realize if I asked for something he'd move heaven and earth to get it for me, which is probably for the best since I was mature enough not to take advantage but still appreciate that kind of love. My dad is a good man who works hard and believes in always doing your best, being kind to people whenever you can and being as fair as you can possibly be. He's reliable, smart, responsible with money, and generally a caring person.

All of those are definitely traits I look for in men I'm dating.

However, I'm not looking for a carbon copy of my father- good lord that would be totally disturbing! And, besides that, there are things about my father I do NOT want in a potential mate. He has a temper and a tendency not to communicate his feelings until he's super pissed off. He operates on his own unfathomable schedule and expects everyone else to fall in line. He also doesn't take as good care of his health as he should and he has some prejudices I would never tolerate in a boyfriend or husband. (Not extreme prejudices, but the typical "immigrants take jobs" crap- we argue about it whenever he brings it up).

So, I suppose I look at my dad and think I want a guy with all his good traits and none of the bad ones. Not entirely possible since no one is perfect, but I will say with my dad as my model, I'm not about to settle for any man who treats me with less respect than my dad shows me, my mom, and my sister.

• My dad's a very good husband and father, but I wouldn't want to marry someone exactly like him. He, and probably guys like him, are a good match for my mom. Personally, I'd want someone who's a good husband and father, but a lot different in looks and personality.

• Nope. He's a momma's boy all the way (He's over forty and his parents pay for his gas), spoiled, doesn't know how to handle money, thinks the occasional pricey gift buys eternal love while not seeing the point of paying for a spinal tap or surgery for his kids and throws around hefty promises he uses to placate people only to turn around and stab them in the back with a rusty knife. Why would I Ever want a guy like that?

• I would never even talk to someone who was like my father... let alone date someone like him. My father is extremely abusive and overall, just a horrible person. I couldn't go through that again. Because I know that I deserve better.

• Sure. He's smart and sensible and gave me a great childhood. Why not? They say women date men that are exact replicas of their father.

• Electra complex.

• Lame stuff.

• Either you are trolling or you're implying you don't want to marry a woman like your mom.