Anti-marriage on GAG?

I've noticed a common theme on GAG: A lot of people seem to not be a fan of the idea of marriage (in ANY sense, including homosexual marriage).

I see comments and questions all the time that are bashing marriage, and saying how they don't "believe" in marriage. Maybe GAG is just feel of very liberal people, and there's not many "religious" people here.

So why is this? Are that many people against marriage, in general?

Most Helpful Girl

• I was against marriage, and it had very little to do with not being religious. It was more in the fact that my parents are divorced and virtually every couple I have known are divorced. I do want to get married and settle down, but I think it takes finding the right partner who is willing to fight for your relationship as well as respect it and the vows made.

It can be scary when you come from a household that went through a tough, sh*tty divorce under crappy circumstances but eventually when you look back and understand a lot better.

• *also, keep in mind some people here have never been in a relationship and therefore cannot fathom why anyone would want to get married.

But for me it took growing up to be able to look back at my parents marriage and how everything that occurred between the two of them could not be corrected nor fixed. And after all was said and done, neither of them loved one another. They burned each other bad, my father in particular.

It took me years until I understood that

What Guys Said 6

• I'm not against marriage, I do want to get married... Honestly it's more a gesture for me to make, I don't see it as proving my relationship to god or making any religious statement since I'm in no way religious. I think a lot of people on here have the view that marriage makes no difference, if they love someone they don't need to validate it, plus many others see it as financial burden... an expensive party, which comes with the risk of losing half of what you own (neglecting pre-nup).

• Remember Gag is mostly teenagers, and marriage to them means being like their parents...not too many tenagers ever want to be anything like their parents! I was against it as a teenager, too.

Among us older folks, there's a pretty balanced view about marriage. All I'll say is that, if gay marriage is mandated by equal rights...so is polygamy, they should toss out all the laws against that.

• I noticed that, especially since marriage for most people today holds no significance, it has no meaning for a lot of people. more of a nuisance, people are too immature and that is a product of modern western society, if something becomes hard or you f*** up, you can skip the responsibility side of life and just take the easy route going to the next

• It's an outdated social construct. Originally it was hardly anything more than a business transaction between the father and the husband to secure bloodlines and family alliances, and a tool for religions to exert control over society and classes . Now that women are essentially equal, at least under the law, and aren't dependent on men for survival, it makes no sense to continue with it.

It also doesn't help that marriage and divorce laws are firmly set in pre-equality mindsets and offer only risk to men.

• I think some of the issues against marriages comes from statistics. how many end in divorce. for men, a worse fear, getting screwed in court. I have a brother, 3 beautiful daughters. well, his wife (now ex really) had been cheating on him for 5 years. the only reason she confessed is cause she got pregnant. well you can imagine the rage my brother felt. he had to get himself tested for STDs and tested his daughters DNA to make sure they were his. he was clean, kids were his. (thanks god)

well, she lied in court, she got the house, custody of the kids, and child support and alimony on top. while my brother his paying through the nose because she cheated, the guy she cheated with is now living in the house, and being fed with money from alimony.

after seeing my brother go through all this, I haven't asked a girl out in 4 years. no trust that I won't suffer some similar fate.

• Oh my god, I'm so sorry the system failed your brother so badly. Hearing stories like this breaks my heart.

• Peoples bad experiences have lead to the way of thinking that no one person is worth committing your life to being with. Sad but some people are just like that.

What Girls Said 8

• I think it is just a way for people to cope when there is no sign on them getting married. So it is easier to say they don't believe in marriage than admit that it is just not happening for them. Coping mechanism.

• It's probably mostly financial. Getting married and divorcing cost lots of money compared to breaking up without the legalities involved.

• They are accustomed to failed relationships and marriages!

• I`m not against marriage nor am I very religious. Maybe many people on this site have had bad experiences with relationships so they are a little bitter...that is my guess.

• Not anti but rather don't see the need. I don't mind cohabiting but marriage is a big decision. I believe that once we are married, it has to be forever but looking me the high divorce rates just scared me away

• i think many people are, but people cna always change its just some problems people have becuas eof age.

• I'm never getting married. Case closed.

• Most of the people here have had bad love experiences in my opinion. I haven't had good luck but I still believe in marriage and I will love the day I have a husband that I'll share my life with.