Debate opposing gay marriage?

So I'm in serious need of help for a debate that is due next week and it's about gay marriage and I'm against it By the way. So I need help on the opening statement like I don't know what to do its a difficult topic

Most Helpful Guy

• "Throughout time marriage has evolved from an economic standard to that of today's socially understood spiritual connection between two people. In history and throughout without many exceptions it is noted that the bond is formally for maintaining, strengthening, and encouraging genetic, social, and economic progression between families and above all bearing an heir. However in the modern context though the fusing of families for political reasons has slowed greatly that gap has been filled with the philosophical values of the religious and as such marriage as a tradition worldwide has become functionally an action dedicated to the conjoining of two people before a deity. To attempt to differentiate and regress back to a time where it was a standard of economic progression as a means to validate modern day homosexual practices within the context of modern day marriage is no different than to claim that the gallows should be returned within the context of modern day crime and punishment. It has no place within the modern times and all arguments proposing that homosexual marriage should be allowed are working from angles which pick and choose the elements of social history to defend an empty stance.

Homosexual marriage rituals do not exist in the modern world, have never existed by-and-large in any society ( including Grecian eras and other popularly misguiding concepts ), and violate all tenets and purposes behind the concept whether it be the economic attention to political standing and the functional heir system or the more modern spiritual outlook that revolves around Judea-Christian Law throughout a third of the world, including this country. To be forced to take on the wishes of a minority using red herrings as a means to debate their "rights" is incorrect. To attempt to liken this discussion to any before is also incorrect; whereas we made mistakes in judgment relating to segregation of races that has no biblical context and holds no economic viability therefore not defiling the concept of marriage but instead being an offshoot of Manifest Destiny. Homosexual marriage does not meet these criteria and clearly violates both."

Anything else?

• It's pretty safe to say that argument will get ripped to shreds - although in all honesty, you don't really have a leg to stand on anyway if you're taking that side of the argument...

• How about you try to rip it apart. I don't think you can. ( Read as: I know YOU can't )

What Guys Said 7

• Against gay marriage and for gay marriage are both easy to debate since it is such a poignant debate. For example you can say that you believe gays should have every right straight people have but since marriage isn't really a right and is more of a religious institution they should not be allowed to partake in it. To which a rebuttal would be that even though it is a religious institution our government then should not have the ability to deny it to them (since it has become a social institution with tax breaks etc.)

you can also aregue against what you believe it makes a fun paper

• "Ladies and gentleman thank you for coming today to listen to this important debate. I think it is critically important to limit rights for people who don't live the way my religion says. I'm going to falsely declare at marriage is a religious institution, and then I'm gonna ramble on about nonsense and make up reasons why I disagree with it, when really all that matters is that I don't like it so that's what should be law. Thank you and I look forward to continuing to make my case.

• Anti: Marriage is a religious institution, and the bible says it's between a man and a woman (civil partnerships are the non-religious equivalent, providing gay couples the same legal rights).

Pro: No, it's not - marriage predates Christianity by a very long way (both the concept and the word itself - bear in mind that the bible was obviously not originally not written in English) - and Christians have just tried to hi-jack it.

There will also be some gay people who identify as Christian and who want to get married - that's for them to figure out, and has nothing to do with me.

• Your "pro" would fail almost immediately. Laziness is unhealthy.

• No. Marriage predates Christianity - that is a simple fact, and shows that marriage cannot "belong" to Christians. Therefore, any argument based solely on the meaning of marriage in a religious context, is irrelevant and constitutes hi-jacking.

• Marriage is a civil contract between a man and a woman.

It's only during the last 500 years or so that religious officials have been commonly been asked to witness and celebrate that contract. link

• Should be easy if it's what you believe though? Like why are you against it, what point do you want to get across to the audience?

• First of all I am totally 100% for gay marriage as the way I see it if you love someone then you should be able to marry them but as for your debate try something like. "I am given the task today to talk about gay marriage and how it should not be allowed. My first point is thatmarriage is a wonderful tradition between a man and a wife. Sometimes they love each other sometimes they do not but traditionally it is always between a man and a wife and I believe it is important to keep our traditions alove. If gay people wish to show their love then wehy do they need a marriage to do it? Take each other out on a date have a romantic night in get a civil union etc etc but despite it's inteded purpose marriage does not have to be about showing love at all. It is a traditionaly way to join two families together wether for love, business, politics or in some cases as payment for some wrong doings from one family to another" that's all I got good luck

• how about you go do actual research for your homework? that was the point of your assignment. do research. see what is available for both sides. then use the points of each side to prove/reassure your side.

argue for the side that you feel is correct.

• I have heard that churches are already being sued for not marrying gay couples even though it is against their religion. I also heard one photographer got sued for refusing to photograph a gay wedding. So Gay marriage can trample on peoples right to exercise their freedom of religion, by forcing them to participate in what they believe to be sinful activities. So you could look up an instance where someones freedom to practice their religion was violated. Some of those stories could have been propaganda, but I assume you could still use them.

What Girls Said 7

• well this is quite controversial, especially for this website lol. id say ladsin's answer is the most respectable.

u can argue both sides so before you come up with an opening statement, you need to think of counterarguments as well, because if you want to 'win', you will have to come up with statements that cannot easily be argued by the other side.

so… you could say something like….the origins of human sexuality and the science of anatomy prove that sexual desires or sexual intercourse were meant to occur between man and woman. reproductive organs were made in a certain way for man and woman to have pleasure. thus, gay marriage is defying the science behind sexuality so this form of sexuality is questionable.

sorry that was a bit long but basically, bringing science into your argument will b pretty solid because science is fact.

since some people go a little agro imma take the time to say that I'm not a homophobe or some sh*t I accept everyone as they are even if I don't necessarily agree. I hope that helps a little

• How about: I am opposed to gay marriage because I think it's icky and it makes me uncomfortable.

Because that's your only reason. There IS no logical argument to use.

• First: I'm for gay marriage. Love is love, no one can judge but God. They're are churches that are being sued and a Pope just came out as gay. Second: Shouldn't you be doing your own homework?

• i don't think she's directing her opinion against you she's merely asking for other opinions and she has the right to do so.

no one is judging, but I can tell you that God has already judged this form of love and punished it aagess ago in Genesis 19, and I'm pretty sure God doesn't change His mind with the times so since you said no one can judge but God, there you go=]

• I see both sides

Anti gay marriage: people against gay marriage say it was intended for man and woman. True. That's EXACTLY why it was created.

Pro gay marriage: people for it say marriage is for people in love. That's true too.

So I can't pick a side.

• I'm againts it too :) .

Just think of statistics, religion, and natural, normal?

• If 80 % of the population of people are heterosexual... why is gay marriage relevant?

Majority Rules :)

• there would b endless rebuttals by the other side to that argument hun hehe

• It's a difficult topic because there's no reason why anyone should be against it, hence why you can't come up with a good opening line for something you strongly oppose.