Should I give back my engagement ring in my divorce?

I'm going through a long, painful, and ugly divorce (much like my marriage was) and now my soon-to-be ex is claiming that I took his jewelery?! The only thing I can think of is my engagement ring which btw is paid for and has been mine for years. I want to keep it so I can give it to my son one day when he grows up and finds his special girl. So my question is... would you give it back after so many years and after having a child together too? I think he's just evil, spiteful, greedy & self-centered (as always), but am I wrong for not wanting to give it back?

P.S. Our son is still very young and he won't even remember us being a family, all he'll know (by the time he's old enough to remember) is a broken home which is a MAJOR reason for me wanting to keep it too!

Most Helpful Girl

• Well for me, I wouldn't want to keep the engagement ring because it would represent broken promises. But if for you it represents your sons future than you have every right to keep it. Plus, I think only the things your acquired after you got married are the things he has claim to... and since the engagement ring came before the marriage I don't think he has any right to it. But I'm not a lawyer so...

What Guys Said 0

What Girls Said 3

• I am so sorry about what you are going through. There is no easy way through a divorce. It is an emotional roller coaster. Keep the ring. It is yours and was a gift.

Good luck to you and stay strong. You will make it through this and have a beautiful son that has come out of that relationship. Be strong for your son and know that once this is over you will be much happier out of the relationship than you were in it. And you will love again.

• Very sorry to hear your hurting.. But there is no way I would give it back and the only time you have to is when your engaged and the marriage never happens...Then its legally binding, he is just being a jerk and trying whatever he can to hurt you. That is what you should do give it to your son...(maybe the only great thing he gave you was your son :) or do what my mom did with her ring. She made into a great necklace for herself. Hope this helps! It will get better trust me.

• i wouldn't give it back. that's a gift. does he want the shoes he bought you too? tell that jerk to step back and get over it. that ring is yours, fair and square.