Is $2,000 too little for an engagment and wedding ring?

I've heard that 3 months salary is typically the "rule". And it sounds nice I guess to have an expensive one. I've looked up rings and a lot of nice one can go up to 18,000... But I think I found my dream ring and its a set for less than 2,000... Is that a cheap ring?

Here is the link

link

I really like it. But why are both rings less than 2,000 dollars? Are they not good diamonds? Are the not real? I don't get it. I see something there on the website about the center heart diamond being able to range from .4-1.0 carat... What's in the picture? How does that effect the price?

thanks for all the answers...and the hate mail. I'm a bit sad that my intensions for this question got so misunderstood. but I guess that what I get for asking the internet questions. I'm not asking anyone for this ring. I was just looking at it and wondered why such a beautiful ring wasn't more expensive when compared to more pricey more plain rings. honestly, if I was proposed to (by the man I love of course) with a cracker jack ring, id be just as happy. I might even like that more!

Most Helpful Guy

• The thought is what counts. The quality of the diamond is what should matter more than the size. I once spent 4 thousand on one and it was quite pretty but a few weeks later I found one that was much cheaper and much nicer looking so you never know. I will say this. The ring in your question is VERY pretty and I would hope that any woman would be appreciative of it. You have excellent taste. Now for the center diamond...it is not included BUT you can go to Brooklyn NYC and find a beautiful stone that would fit it for a very good price.

What Guys Said 10

• Huh... that looks a lot like a claddagh. Interesting choice.

Anyway, the type and quality of metal used can affect the price. Also the same can be said about the diamond. Diamonds can vary in prince, not only by size, but also by type, shape, cut, colour, the number of flaws, and many more things. A virtually flawless diamond that's really small, can be be worth just as much as a huge one that's full of flaws.

Also, there's been this advancement lately where diamonds can be artificially made, fairly easily. I mean they're still diamonds, they're still just as real as any other diamond, but they're made in a lab as opposed to dug out of some cave in Africa. They're cheaper too. Thing is, there are a lot of people who get snooty, and say they don't want them. Go figure.

Anyway, $2,000.00 is pretty inexpensive when you compare it to $20,000.00, sure. But the way I see it, is if it's the the engagement ring you really want, and you really like it, then why split hairs over something as trivial as price? I mean is it any less romantic if the ring costs less? If you didn't know the prince would you still be happy with the proposal? Would you get it appraised and call the wedding off when you find out it's not worth nine or ten times more?

Just saying.

I say if you like the ring, and you love him, then who cares about the price? You're not marrying him for his money, right? So if you like that one, get that one. Leave money out of this. Focus on the romance. Focus on the love. That's what matters.

• I didn't mean to sound like I was hating on you. I was just simply posing questions to the logic of whether or not price should matter so much.

• I didn't really take yours that way. you were actually pretty helpful and I agreed with what you said. the price never mattered and never will when it comes to being with him. I just didn't know what it meant for this ring that I was secretly admiring

• It means go for it!

• A big reason you can find cheap(er) diamond rings these days is because labs can manufacture them at 5-10% of the cost of traditional mined diamonds.

Also I feel I should mention... the ring you've chosen... it's for the band and offset diamonds only.

You forgot to read the caption below the picture. "center diamond not included".

So... double what you think it costs... half carat, heart cut, VS1, with a good cut would cost you an additional $1,500 and that's a very conservative center diamond.

To get the ring you think you're getting, the one displayed in the photo for example, it would probably cost you more like 4-5 thousand when all is said and done. Sorry :(

• The diamond in the picture... and I'm definitely no expert... I'd guess comes is around 1carat which is listed around 4-6 thousand on their site.

Also, the .4-1 carat they're talking about is what the band is designed to hold. It's not what heart cuts actually range. You could hypothetically get a 24carat diamond cut heart... it would be one of a kind though and worth I don't know how much...

• I wouldn't want it any bigger than in the picture, but thanks for pointing those things out! I got a feel I was missing something... Do you know how I can tell if they were mined or manufactured? I'd rather them be mined. I am kinda sad to hear its not as inexpensive as I thought... But I'm glad it's not just a cheap ring. I really like it.

• You wouldn't be able to tell the difference between a synthetic diamond and a naturally formed diamond. Synthetic diamonds are not fake diamonds. It's pure carbon crystallized in isotropic form. It is by very definition still a diamond.

Though if you ask the retailer they should know... whether or not they tell you the truth...

• Diamonds are just like any other commodity, some retailers offering it cheaper than others.

How they offer that lower price is pretty much a mystery, trade secret and all. Generally it has a lot to do with mark-up, the difference in the price the retailer paid for it and the price they want to sell it for, mark-up can vary wildly depending on the item in question, but with diamonds so can the wholesale price (the price the retailer paid). Diamonds have to be mined and the mining company needs to make money off selling what they mine, hence what the retailers pay for it, then the retailers mark it up, by the time it gets from the quarry to the showcase in the store it's already passed through several hands and been marked up in price at least twice.

As far as your question, it all comes down to how much you're willing to pay, I was under the impression a girl would be thrilled with getting a ring period nevermind how much was spent on it.

On a side note, in 2004 a couple walked into a jewelry store to look at engagement rings, there was one other customer in the store at the time who they paid little attention to. They saw one they loved, but found it to be too expensive ($10,000). They left the store and the other customer got the attention of the manager, telling him to give them the ring and he would pay for it. That other customer was Paul Walker.

• That's a sweet side note:)

And I would appreciate any kind of ring. But being a girl, I would like to feel like I have something nice. I love the ring no matter what though

• You shouldn't worry about the price of the ring, as long as you love what it stands for.

I would never spend more than 1000 on an engagement ring anyway. Love isn't expressed with money.

• I think paying 3 month's salary for jewelry is retarded.

Let's say your yearly income is $40,000. That's $10,000. That's before you eat a bite of food, pay a single bill or, put a drop of gas in your car or pay tax.

I knew a woman who told her husband not to spend too much on a ring, but instead put all that money toward a house. That's smarter.

• As IQ Male said, it doesn't include the center stone.

But who gives a fuck...if it's a ring you like, who cares what it costs? It's what makes you happy

• If you love it what does it matter?

• Stop playing such dumb rules.

the last thing you want to convey is that you are just marrying him for your money.

Ya you will have less to brag about in front of your girlfriends but at least you know he loves you

• price shouldn't matter if you like it get it

• It's all down to the thought...That's the main thing not the price! :D

What Girls Said 15

• Hey, if you're paying for it, then it shouldn't matter, right?

Oh wait, you probably expect your fiance to spend thousands on your entitled little arse, don't you? That ring doesn't look like something a man would wear, so it seems you're trying to pick out your own engagement ring and then just present him with the link.

Why should it matter what size it is? How much it cost?

It doesn't.

The problem you're facing is you deluded yourself into believing you "deserve" expensive shit because you have a vagina. TWO GRAND for a shitty piece of jewellery sounds like TOO LITTLE to you? Fucking hell, can you be any more shallow? Get over yourself, princess.

It's insulting how you're trying to put a price tag on love.

• its just a god damn question, ma'am. I'm not asking for the ring. if the guy I love proposed to me with a paperclip id say yes. I'm only admiring rings myself and thinking "why is such a beautiful ring cheaper than the others?"...fucking hell, could you get more angry about people you don't know?

• Your entire question is based on "hurr durr is this too cheap?" and following some idiotic rule about how many paychecks it's "acceptable" for the price of a ring.

This is not admiring. This is princess entitlement behavior.

• it was just something I heard. I never said I agreed with it... that's just ridiculous. calm down

• you want to know how much mine cost me ..are you ready for this ... it was $ 9.99 NO not nine hundred .. I mean nine dollars from k mart .. why so cheap? cuase we didn't have the money at the time and I didn't care at all .. I was inlove with the love of my life and we waited a really long time to get married . we dated 10 years ! I couldn't bare to wait no longer I had to have him so we went and got our kmart rings and I wore that thing like it was real .. so did he .. we went to the court house got married got a cake and a two night stay at the super 8 and it was one of the best days I have ever had . he is my best friend and the love of my life and that is worth more then any ring could ever be . I was 27 when we got married and he was in his 30s we was just starting our lives out together and didn't have much at the time . 2 years later we have all that we need . you can do a lot when you love someone .its not all about the money or how much things cost .

• that sounds awesome! but I don't like the ring because of however much it might cost...I just thought it was beautiful. I'm not asking for it...I don't expect anything...

• Diamonds are valued more based on their clarity. It's hard to tell with the naked eye, but the cheaper they are, the more a yellowish hue becomes visible. If you're seeing any rainbow color, the it's not even a diamond. Any seller has a grading range to compare rings to. The price is pretty good for such a nice set. It doesn't matter how expensive it is as long as gist the perfect one for you. When you're wearing it daily, you won't be seeing the price tag. ;)

• For an engagement ring I'd say 3 karat I could maybe settle. But the wedding ring that I'm supposed to wear around a good 80% of being married go all out 5-7, hey 10 or more would be best with a matching necklace. And they better not be blood diamonds! But this is me-- I love expensive things and know my stones and my diamonds. If it doesn't sparkle and gleam with a rainbow, scratch glass and have certificate of authenticity as some of the basics someone may've just bought themselves costume jewelry. They call it pink gold I thought it was called rose and the refractive surface looks a little suspect. But if you love it, it's in your budget, and rock it proudly, it shouldn't matter.

• If you really like it, then you shouldn't care how much it costs. But it's probably best to buy your ring in person so you know what quality you're getting.

My personal philosophy with wedding rings is that as long as it's real and pretty, the price doesn't matter. I don't care if the thing is secondhand or from Overstock or if it was his mom's or grandma's. The only thing I would be upset about is if he had originally bought it for another girl.

That's a really pretty ring, though. I'm not a fan of pink gold personally, but it's nice otherwise. You should get it.

• You can't put a price on a dream ring.

Good quality...is good quality despite the numbers

appearing before your eyes.

• Blegh, stop worrying about the price. The price doesn't matter at all. If you're too worried about the price, I'd say you aren't ready to get married yet.

• blegh...its not something I'm really" worried" about... just a question about the ring. and I'm not ready to get married. I'm 19. but that doesn't mean I can't dream about it...

• It's actually too much imo.

• If you like it I don't see why the price should matter.

• $2000 is rather expensive for me. It's not cheap at all.

Besides why does it matter that they are priced 'less' if you really like them?

Get it checked if its a real ring if you're doubtful because it better be real if someone is paying $2000 for it.

• That's just he price for the setti. A really nice setting I about that price so that's actually a fairly expensive ring if you get a high quality one carat diamond.

• I think $2,000 is really expensive for a ring. I think around $500 is good for an engagement ring. But it's whatever the person can afford.

• Is $2,000 too little for an engagement ring? No.

But the clarity of those diamonds isn't too good.

• Yeah that ring set is $1600, but you also have to buy the diamond, and for a one carat that would be like $3000-$4000. Or for a good .5 carat maybe $1000-$2000. Very pretty ring though.

• For men... they don't really care.