Engagement ring prices and expectations

Women: do you have certain expectations in terms of what kind of or cost of a ring you would receive in a proposal?

Men: What have you spent on engagement rings or think is a reasonable price to spend on?

Most Helpful Girl

• I have an expectation on what the ring looks like.

It needs to be exactly what I want... but he needs to buy it and surprise me... I don't want to go rign shopping.

My best friend is getting updated on what I want and don't want and when I change my mind.

Although now I think, I don't want her to know he will ask me before I do. Oh dear. Dillema

No real expectation on price, except I don't want him to spend loads. I would rather he save it towards the wedding or taking me out for dinner. Or save for when heis an old man and wants to take me out!

For me I have seen rings for £150 I love as much as ones I have seen for £600. I just want it to be good quality.

I would be anoyed if he spend more than £600.There's more to life than expensive rings.

What Girls Said 7

• I have no expectations, but every woman wants to feel special. I would never want a man to go into debt over a ring though. I love a man who is smart, but not cheap with finances. Really, I am more concerned about the mans loyalty to me and love for me. How do you treat me? What do you have to offer as far as being a human being. Then again I am not materialistic and a lot of women are not like me. I have been around men with money and men with a little less money and money within reason doesn't matter. The question is what kind of woman is the woman you are going to propose to?

• When my fiance was searching for a ring I told him I wanted something simple but elegant and I didn't want him to spend a ton of money on it. He was kind of mad I didn't give him more description of what I wanted but it's because he knows me very well. I honestly expected a 500 dollar ring instead he got me an almost 2,000 dollar ring with matching wedding band.

• I think if the girl you are proposing to is fit, it would make sense to buy an expensive ring but if not, I would just buy a gold wedding band since people gain weight and lose weight during their life time and you don't want to spend too much on a diamond that might not fit her finger 3 or 4 years from now but I recommend white gold to actual gold since gold might seem cheap (if it's not diamond etc...) white gold is more expensive than regular gold but not as expensive as a diamond ring so I think it's the perfect gift to buy somebody if you are planning on having a proposal. Also the way you propose to her might make up for the fact that it's not a super expensive ring so I think being super romantic and pick something very creative and out of this world. Then I don't think not having a diamond is a big deal.

• As I've answered on all these questions before, it doesn't matter and it shouldn't matter. It's just a ring, and the meaning behind it is worth so much more than all the money in the world. The only expectation I have is that he WON'T spend a buttload of money on it. I'd feel bad. I'd hate walking around with a really expensive ring on my finger because I wouldn't want to lose it or get mugged. All I want is a subtle ring that fits my personality, and I've seen some of the most perfect rings that haven't cost more than 40 euros.

• it's interesting in the states the sort unspoken requirements for an engagement ring are so different. 40euros or about maybe $55 us dollars simply would not fly in the states. I should've moved to Europe before getting engaged.

• Not really. It's supposed to last a lifetime so it should be good quality, but in general I don't really care

• More than $1000 dollars that's for sure.

• It's not about the ring

What Guys Said 1