Why do people say they are Christian yet engage in sexual immorality?

I was reading the Book of Acts last night, and on SEVERAL occasions, at least in Acts 15 I think it was, it says that you should abstain from sexual immorality in several parts of it. It is very clear on that.

Most Helpful Girl

• I'm guessing it's because of the pressure from media and society. But at the same time, I don't allow myself to think of them wrongly. God said that we can't judge anyone since we have also done some wrongs in our lives. We can't be hypocrites. And in many areas now, the 'new christianity' is by following some rules, yet avoiding others. Not every christian goes to church on the weekend, but that doesn't mean they don't love God.

• says I can't add you?

• aha, I don't know. Maybe you could get out of anon and I could add you instead.

• Done

What Girls Said 6

• Because they practice their religion as they see fit, they fit it into their other beliefs about life, morality, right and wrong. Besides, what IS sexual immorality? Who decides which acts are immoral and which aren't? There are a few we as a society have classed as immoral through legislation (pedophilia, rape, sexual abuse etc.), but the rest of sex is basically open for interpretation. So, technically speaking, if someone does not believe that whatever form of sex they're having is immoral and it doesn't fall clearly into a societal category of immorality then they're not violating the religious tenant against "sexual immorality".

The bible is a book, translated and interpreted over centuries by thousands of religious scholars and leaders. I'm a lit major so I KNOW how many different interpretations are possible from one single sentence. All of them technically justified and true- mostly you just pick the one that fits with what you believe. That's why I've never been able to adopt organized religion- there are so many interpretations possible that you might as well just develop your own set of principles and morals to live by, establish your own spirituality.

• sodomy used to be widely illegal

• In your sense of the word, no probably not. (though I do celebrate Christmas). Obviously you are, so I'm wishing you a good holiday regardless. Take the sentiment as its intended or don't.

• y you so meanz

• Why do Christians think they're God and try to act like the voice of God?

God is the final judge. Let them live their lives however they wish, hypocrisy or not. And you can live your life as well--as a hypocrite--not understanding that you aren't God.

• because christians are humans like everybody else and all humans are to some extent total hypocrites ...some more than others ...so don't be surprised if the pent up church girl who never misses Sunday mass also turns out to be the biggest whore ..it happens..life moves on...some people can maintain self control better than others but it has nothing to do with religion

• Yeah, like a guy who is always preaching about morality but likes to ask girls if he "clean them up" or tells them he would travel for a casual sexual encounter. That sounds like someone who enjoys trying to be morally superior but is really a hypocrite and sexually repressed. Don't you hate people like that?

• Because they only follow religion to suite them and sex is fun.

• Why do people say they're Christian and lie, steal and kill?

What Guys Said 1

• Were you reading the original version,or an English translation?

Some meanings get lost in translation.Some are deliberately distorted by the translators.

link