Where do you stand on same sex marriage?

Do You Approve? Or Do You Think It's Wrong? All Religious Beliefs Aside, Unless You Have Absolutely No Other Reason For Opposing/Approving. My Family And I Are Christians. But My Parents Completely Oppose Gay Marriage. Personally, I Approve Of It. I Think Everyone Deserves The Right To Be Who They Are. America Is Mostly Opposed To It, But Why? What Happened To All That Freedom Stuff In The First Amendment? Anyway Everyones Opinions Are Greatly Appreciated :)

I commented on one of the answers but I submitted it before I was done. But Lupianwolf has a good point. Someone said that gay marriage violates the sanctity of marriage. But my question is, doesn't divorce? It ends marriages like Lupianwolf said. So does that mean you want to make divorce illegal as well?

Most Helpful Girl

• I think other people need to stop trying to make decisions that only impact other people. If you are against same-sex marriage, then most likely it doesn't apply to your relationship, so you should have no part in making the decision because it won't impact your life even slightly whatever way the law rules.

And those suggesting that it might violate the sanctity of marriage, marriage was once a contract between two families designed to better wealth for both parties with land and money, and also benefits of changing a family name. It's a man made concept, not a holy creation designed to be between a man and a woman out of love.

And even if it was, you might want to look at what heterosexual couples are doing to the sanctity of it before you try and prevent people who are genuinely in love getting married. It shouldn't be fine for people like Kim Kardashian and whoever the fuck she married to be married for 72 days, but that's legal because they're heterosexual, and some gay couples that have been together for years can't because they happen to be the same gender.

Religion =/= Law and the Government need to start realising that. Religious belief should have no place determining the law for people who do not believe in that, especially when the changes won't impact those opposing it.

What Guys Said 11

• I'm for it, most of the arguments against it are just stupid or irrelevant so I can't really take the other side seriously.

• I approve gay marriage. If straight people can marry for love, why not gays? As long as they don't pinch my butt then I'm totally fine with it. We can't control how other people live or think. As long as they are happy with each other then I find absolutely nothing wrong with it. Let them live their lives as I will live mine :)

• I think until the US gets truly secular there will always be a problem with this. Straight and gay couples should have the option to get civil unions as a secular country should be. People who are religious should be able to go and get a religious ceremony as they please. There are definitely more liberal churches that allow gay marriage as well if they so please. This way all the sanctity crap is out of government and nobody on both sides has any reason to complain.

• The government should have anything to do with marriage, and the church shouldn't have anything to do with government.

• But the church and the government are connected. Either way, the government will always have something to say concerning religion. But do YOU support gay marriage? Or do you think its wrong?

• No I don't. That's why I say the government needs to be secular.

• Don't think it's wrong

• I think the government has no business defining marriage or enforcing laws accordingly.

• America (along with me) are NOT mostly opposed of it. If the laws were not changing in the favor of gay marriages then obviously the majority of Americans are not opposed. The voice of the bible belt and Christians can be very loud but that is not going to change the future.

• Im christian and apparently being gay is a sin? This is one of those moments where I don't believe in the bible. But if a buddy of mine is gay I would be OK with it as long as he's not atractide to me. It happened once but I was totally cool with it until he told me he found me extremely hot. You can tell that friendship got very awkward very quickly.

• I see no problem with it.

• I really don't care about it. I don't care what other people do. Why does anyone care?

• My family and myself are Christians too. Have you read any of this? link His word is true. Not to be edited and changed by us. God made man and woman different for a reason. It wasn't an accident. The thing is the world today has become complacent. We've gone our own way.

I don't hate gay people and I don't think I'm any better than them. I just don't agree with their lifestyle.

• But God also loves every one of his children. We aren't changing or editing anything. Everyone has a right to be happy. Some people don't choose to be gay. They just are! And they live the same way as us. There is nothing different about their lifestyle compared to ours. Except for the fact that they love the same gender.

• Just for the record I have several co workers who are gay and lesbian. I treat them with just as much respect as I would to anyone. I don't agree with their lifestyle or gay marriage but I still accept them as a person. I don't accept their gay principals.

• Do you have a choice in your preferences and opinions?

• I have no interest in telling others who they can and can't marry.

What Girls Said 10

• I'm a Christian and I don't necessarily agree with the act of homosexuality, but I also don't think it needs to be illegal. I believe they are sinning, but I don't hate them at all. The way I see it... Ellen DeGeneres is a wonderful person. I, for one, would love to see her be happy with the woman she loves.

• I think it's a shame that there are so many Christians out there that would give people like you a bad name that you don't deserve.

• Gays and lesbians are simply people who want to find someone and be happy.

To say they can't get married simply because one is taught to dislike like it because God tells us to is so stupid, on so many levels.

To say it's not naturall, that's false. Scientific research is being done, has been done completely (at least with the fruit fly) that confirms it is a natural thing (happens in nature)

I think people who love each other have a right to get married.

It's not a sin and it's not unnatural to want to pair up, making it illegal is bad-not however loving another human being.

• I am for it. People who are against it are narrow-minded in my opinion. Same-sex marriage is nothing more or less than two people who love each other and are willing to make a more serious commitment. Gay marriage should be legalized nationwide. Gay couples have just as much of a right to marry as heterosexual couples.

Why should some people be treated differently just because they have a different sexual orientation than the majority? Not allowing gay marriage is a form of discrimination.

• I am for it. Why? I have no reason not to support it. All arguments against gay marriage are, to me, illogical or unfounded.

In the wise words of an Australian politician, "Those who condemn gay marriage, yet are silent or indifferent to the breakdown of marriage and divorce, are, in my view, missing the real issue." Gay marriage doesn't threaten the sanctity of marriage, divorce does. People seem to be quite comfortable with ending marriages, I don't see why they won't stop discriminating and allow more.

• I think everyone should have equal rights. I support gay marriage. By the way next time please don't type your question with every word capitalized it's harder to read.

• I am for gay marriage, I see no reason they should be stopped from having what straight people have. It's silly how offended and threatened some straight people are by it, as if it affects their lives IN ANY WAY, haha!

• Gays must burn

• I don't care.

Have all the male buttsecks you want

• I don't agree with it. I believe it violates the sanctity and traditional idea of marriage.

• And?

Divorce literally ends marriages and can be done for no reason at all. Do you want to make that illegal?.

• That's my opinion. Was that not the point of you asking this? To get people's opinions?

• Yes, it was to get peoples opinions. But I'm asking to see the reason behind it. To get people to elaborate on their reasons. Not just "Yes I Support it" or "No I think its wrong" I want a reason and then a reason for the reason. Its interesting to see peoples opinions and then the reasons behind the opinions.

• I'm not out there with picket signs but I couldn't care less if gays and lesbians want to get married. They have every right to miserable like regular folk.