What makes the difference between a wife and girlfriend?

This is just a poll question. What I want to know is guys what makes a woman wife material versus just a girlfriend? What qualities, looks if that's important, education level these kids of things? Don't be a jerk about it this is for a class. So please just be honest.

Most Helpful Guy

• A girlfriend is a test bed for the guy just as a boyfriend is a test bed for the girl. A test drive as it were. If they get along and find they have things in common, such as beliefs, values, desires, and so on, and don't want to beat the crap out of each other after some reasonable period of time, then they may look at each other as marriage material. Now, why the hell two people would want to screw up their lives and get married I don't know, but, hey, that's their business.

Oh, also, a girlfriend is grateful when her boyfriend spends a little money on her. He actually has a savings account. A wife, she has access to that account. It's no longer a 'savings' account.

lol

What Guys Said 5

• to me there is no difference. I'm not going to have a girl as a girlfriend if she isn't potential wife material. If I start dating someone (me personally) if I realize that I don't see her as a potential life partner then I'm no longer interested in her as a gf.

to me the difference between a girlfriend and a wife is simply me feeling comfortable with them enough to want to take the next step of getting married

• For someone to be considered wife material in my eyes she needs to know how to take care of herself in case something happens to me and she needs to know how to cook and clean as well as being able to take care of and nurture a child. She is also someone you have bestowed your family name to and will help keep the bloodline going with children. A wife is also someone you take care of and spend the rest of your life with.

• A girlfriend has heard your sweet words, a wife has heard your big-ass wet fart.

• A wife is supposed to be a permanent love and sex partner a girlfriend is just temporary and can either last forever or be broken off it off at a person's will sex and deep intimacy always socially and religiously permitted in monogamy but for a girlfriend it's only OK up to a certain point but in today's world it's taken a little too far for the traditional meaning to be up held

• There is no difference. Askong as thry both make sandwiches and wait for me in bed from work, is all good.

What Girls Said 1

• a wife is someone you've chosen to give your name, support, etc too - she's permanent unless you divorce her.

a girlfriend is someone you're dating but do not see her as marriage material or is just temporary