Is it still OK to take your husband last name?

Among my friends and family everyone hyphenated or he took her last name. Now that I'm engaged everyone is asking about it obviously and I'm not that keen on keeping my name really.

We don't have a very traditional relationship at all. We're more like friends. Of course we sometimes do gender traditional things.I love dresses, shopping and everything pink, but I also like star wars, football and camping. He likes the notebook, green smoothies and matching outfits. But about this particular one, he cares a lot and I don't.

So I'd take his name, I even kinda want to, but is that outdated? Not normal anymore?

Even my grandma said, if it had been an option back then, she would have kept her name

Most Helpful Guy

• It's one thing to maintain your last name if you have an established professional career under that name and name recognition is critical (like, say, an actress, musician, or athlete), but otherwise, it's not the norm.

And the guy taking the girls last name? Who does that? And why does she carry his balls in her purse? WTF?

What Guys Said 2

• It depends upon the couple involved I suppose. I personally don't care if she changes her name or not. She is welcome to keep her last name if she wishes. I wouldn't take it personally at all. It's not as though she is some property that I own. It does not make us any less married. That's how I feel about it anyway.

• It's up to you. I think most people still do that, unless the woman has a professional credential in her name and doesn't want to bother changing.

What Girls Said 6

• I don't think there's a right or wrong answer to this. I mean everyone will do what is best for themselves so you should do what you want. I wouldn't think its weird to take your husbands last name and the details of your relationship don't really matter in this decision either. Its just a choice you make together if its what you want or what is best in your life. (:

• yes and if you want just keep his name

• Everyone in the area I live in takes their husbands name, and I certainly intend to also...go for it! It's your life!

• I always thought that the girl took the last name of her husband...

• If or when I get married, I will take my husbands name. I wouldn't care what other people thought about it.

• Why would a guy take your last name? That's silly.