Why do people get married if they are likely to get a divorce?

Why do people get married if they are likely to get a divorce? (Divorce rate is at 60% in the United States) Do people just enjoy having a good time in a marriage relationship and as soon as "the rough gets going" everyone in the marriage wants out?(Use poll)

• Yes, people these days only enter into marriage just to have a good time but when "the rough gets going" they want out of the marriage.
  • No, people these days only enter into marriage because both care about each other and try to go through both the "good times and bad times" together.
  • It depends on how each person preceives the relationship in the first place and how much effort they are willing to put into the relationship.
  • Their is another factor involve and will list it below.

Most Helpful Guy

• It's because women want to get married, period. They don't care if the odds are against them or not. If a woman is in a relationship, she sees marriage as the ultimate goal that they should both be moving towards. And if the guy isn't moving towards it, she dumps him.

• The feminist movement is part of the reason why the divorce rate has increased over the years because it has given a lot more freedom to woman who use the freedom to pursue their own interest instead of the interests of the family and household. This has destroyed many households and family lives.

What Guys Said 6

• People tend to jump into marriages; they marry when they're in love and being in love tends to be a bad (insufficient) reason to get married. A commitment like marriage requires the people involved to be able to stand spending pretty much every single day with each other in the same house for the rest of their lives. It takes a lot of time to figure that out, especially when you're in love because, as they say, love blinds.

• Yes, love does bind but is it lustful love or the fact that for once in our lives we are loved unconditionally by another human being which makes us jump to the wrong conclusions about what we want for ourselves?

• It's that feeling of being 'in love', that feeling we experience during the 'honeymoon phase' of a relationship. It's the overwhelming sensation of how wonderful that other person is. It's a great feeling, and it never fully goes away (it tends to pop up again at romantic moments), but it's not what makes a marriage work.

You'll often see people in failing marriages trying to get back that 'flame', because that was the whole reason they got married.

• They hope to be in the half that don't divorce.

Men as a group certainly do NOT get married figuring its temporary, because men expect to be screwed over in a divorce. So they all get married thinking it won't be them.

• I don't know but no one gets married , thinking there going to divorce the person there marrying , what happens as people start to live together / find that tough or jobs don't work out and money becomes an issue or sex gets boring whatever . and they decide to move on , but no ones gets married with plans to get divorced soon afterwords unless your like a gold digger

• Because people rush into marriage.

• u need more than hope you need skills

• It's women initiating the vast majority of those divorces.

And not over "he hits me/he cheats on me" reasons.

What Girls Said 6

• Yes, many people don't take seriously the amount of work it takes to stay married. My older brother just told me last night that he and his long distance girlfriend are going to get married and I was like, "What?! Dude I know you've been together 2 years but you've still only physically seen her for like, a month total. You need to live with her or something first." I can tell he thinks it's going to be easy and I wish I could pound some sense into him. But I just take marriage super seriously.

• I believe that why would you decide to not get married just because there is a chance you will get a divorce. In the end if you are working something out on odds then you may be missing out on something. Its not even that getting married is a must, you can just stay with the person and choose to never get married the decision is your own. Marriage can be an awesome experience, and I wouldn't miss out on it due to a chance. If I made my decisions on chance I probably wouldn't do a lot of things.

• I totally agree with you on not working up on the issue of divorce and do hold the same values but it cannot be helped that everyday somewhere in the media their are news articles and news broadcasts that have celebrates getting a divorce without giving marriage a chance. Marriage is something that brings priceless value of unconditional love and allows us to unlock a part of ourselves that we would not otherwise have if we did not take the chance to fall in love and marry in the first place.

• Even though the divorce rates are high, they feel like it's "the right thing to do" and they think that they'll be the exception, the couple that will never get a divorce. Evidence and logic is not popular in the USA, that much I know.

• I think it's because they think they are in love, and that they will be the exception. I don't think many people go into marriage expecting to get divorced.

• Because people settle

• It could be that some people just want to get married, period. And they think they find the one.

No one "expects" to get divorced. A lot of people simply stop fighting to make the marriage work, or one or both walks away.