How do you feel about polyamory?

What's your opinion on it? And what about people in those polyamorous relationships having children? I'm not talking about polygamy... So people who are not committed by law.

I know it's not for me, but if other people want to do it then that is fine. If people in these relationships want to have kids, it's a bit more controversial. Because of the stigma, it's important to consider that the child may have a hard time with people judging them and their family. My opinion is that as long as the family is prepared for all of that, and consider the impact it will have on the child's life, then I think they should be able to do what they want.

Thoughts?

• It's cool, go for it!
  • I don't care either way.
  • It's wrong and polyamorous couples should be shunned.

Most Helpful Girl

• Live and let live. I'm the kinda person who can only focus on one thing at a time and can't even simulataneously crush on two guys, so I doubt polyamorous relationships would work for me, but for other folks - whatever floats their boat. As for the kids, there can be social stigma for any kind of family depending on the environment (gay families, patchwork families, interracial families, hell, even families of other DENOMINATIONS of the dominant religion than the majority) can be scrutinized, I would argue that some kids grow tougher if they're faced with such discrimination from early on.

What Guys Said 5

• I strongly believe in individual rights and personal freedoms. While I don't think I'd ever want such a relationship I wouldn't think of stopping others from doing so as long as everyone consented to it. It's not my place to tell people what is right or wrong as long as they aren't hurting anyone.

• Doesn't bother me either way

• Polygyny is good. Polyandry not so much. :-)

• Bahaha love the blatant double standard. +1

• Thanks! :-) I've got nothing against the other ones for other folks. Whatever floats your boat and all that, lol!

• Not my place to decide how others want to live their lives. Let em.

• I prefer polyamory. I'm actually in a polyamorous relationship at the moment, two men and one woman. We were all close friends beforehand, so it seemed like the next step. I don't get jealous when my male friend has sex with our female friend. I feel happy for him because he's my friend. Sometimes we have threesomes too. We all live together, so it does feel like a real family. Sounds weird I know

• Do you all have romantic relationships with each other or is there just one person who has romantic relationships with the other two? Kinda wondering how it's "constructed", for lack of a better word.

• No, both of us men are straight. The woman is actually bisexual (though mostly attracted to men). All three of us are faithful to the relationship, though. It sounds weird but, for example, I'd actually be disappointed in my male friend if he were to cheat.

• Very interesting. Thank you for sharing!

What Girls Said 3

• I think it's fine. I basically have a polyamorous relationship with my boyfriend and his best friend in a way. Seriously, the only thing that's missing from our relationship being a triad is the fact that we don't have intercourse with each other or kiss. It's kinda funny because last night my boyfriend and I were making a list of things that we weren't allowed to do with the opposite sex so we don't get jealous (my boyfriend has jealousy issues so we agreed to not do things like tickling, long hugs, playing in hair, cuddling, ect) and after we made it I was like "babe, we both do ALL of these things with R" and he was just like "f*ck that! R doesn't count!" lol.

We're kinda like Cory, Shawn and Topanga from Boy Meets World..

Or more like Ted on How I Met Your Mother when Lily tells Marshall "If we get married, we have to marry Ted!" and how when Lily gets pregnant Ted refers to Lily and Marshal's baby as "our" baby.

I think it would be good for children though. I mean if 2 parents can't pick up the kid from band practice the 3rd could. You get 3 heads on decisions to make the best choice for your children as well. Yeah it's a bad stigma, but so are gay parents and I don't think that's bad for children either. I just think that it would be important to explain to your kids diversity and that while their family is different that just means that they have 3 or more parents to love and care for them instead of just one or two.

• Thanks for your input on that. I definitely could see how it could be beneficial for children in those ways. I love the idea of modeling that there is nothing wrong with the situation. In my opinion, I think one of the issues that people have is the idea that it's all about sex... That people in relationships want to stray, and the other party just agrees to it so they don't lose their partner. I know this isn't true especially since it's definitely not just about sex.

• Not at all. A true polyamorous relationship is just that.. a relationship.

Update: I just asked my boyfriend if we could marry R and he said yes! Hahaha we might be your model relationship

• All those participating are consenting adults, so I don't see a problem with it. I personally couldn't do it, because it's a hell of a lot of work. Maintaining one relationship is difficult enough, but maintaining two while keeping both partners informed about each other, is nearly impossible for me. I do admire people who have good enough communication skills to keep up multiple relationships.

• I don't care for it but if they make it legal to ahead.