Opinion: What do you think of child-free weddings?

I am not engaged or married, but I think that when I find the right man, I will want a child-free wedding.

I know there are various schools of thought on this, so what are your opinions and why?

I would want an afternoon outdoor ceremony and a formal night reception. No children would be allowed at the reception (under 18) and I would prefer a child-free ceremony too, but since I have nieces and nephews, I might make an exception for them (and similar on the groom's side of the family) given that they weren't under 6-7 years old and didn't have a reputation for being out of control.

I do not hate children, I plan on having some someday, I just don't want them at my wedding.

• I have kids and WOULD be offended by a child-free-wedding
  • I have kids and WOULD NOT be offended by a child-free-wedding
  • I do not have kids and WOULD be offended
  • I do not have kids and WOULD NOT be offended

Most Helpful Girl

• D. I think it is absolutely 100% perfectly acceptable.

Every parent thinks they're a great parent, but the fact is there are few good parents nowadays. Their kids are the product of that lack of parenting.

And there ARE certain venues/events/engagements in which children have no business being present at.

People need to find a baby sitter and call it a day.

I also support restaurants that do not allow children. Again, children do not belong at certain events or engagements.

Don't have kids.

• my feelings exactly but I've been called a bitch/child hater/selfish because of these opinions. I am told I think that the world revolves around me... ironic then that these people think the world revolves around their children.

• Hang in there, sweetie, there is a solution..and you still have time, so tell the "clan" to hold off on the name calling, or they won't get an invite---nor another chance to spiel off at the mouth...Write them off your list for good..xx

• Nah, the attention deserves to be on you at your wedding, not a screaming child. I know every parent claims to have control of their kid, but a kid is a kid. They're curious, exploring a world and have a mind of their own.

Kids do not belong at certain places. Weddings are one of them. Theaters are another

What Guys Said 7

• It's your wedding and you can do it if you want to. That would eliminate some people from the guest list. So, you can save money.

• I don't personally have a problem with kids, I would like kids to be at my wedding but toddlers and babies are hard to control , especially when they get fussy.

At my wedding , I want it outside on a hill nearby a beach (cliché, I know ), so as long as the kids behave properly , they're more than welcomed at mine.

• it's your wedding your choice.

Personally I see it as a dick move but whatever.

"Hey guys I know your family well enough to invite you to my wedding, so I'd like your family to come! Well except for these people for an arbitrary reason that is out of their control, yeah I don't want them there. Toodles!"

• I don't know the children of many of my family friends. I don't hang out with kids. So I know their parents, but not their kids.

• I don't believe in marriage; however, I understand it is a very significant moment and I wouldn't want children disrupting it.

• Have a room for the kids with babysitters.

The kids don't want to sit at the reception. The parents are delighted for them to be off somewhere.

• Saturday: Child-free wedding

Sunday: Chuck E. Cheese

The kids will chalk it up as a "W."

• There are actually "schools of thought" on this subject? I didn't even realize it was a subject until like 37 seconds ago lol. I think you're just making it sound like it's been around as some kind of tradition so you don't sound crazy

What Girls Said 14

• Seems perfectly acceptable to me. You never know when they'll start crying or making a fuss. Sure, I bet a lot of them would be able to behave properly, but you never know. Would be pretty embarrassing if someone's kid started making loud noises in the middle of the ceremony. Also, I've noticed that most parents always leave very early just because they have to get their kids to bed. It's kind of a bummer. They would probably be able to stay for a while longer if they just got a babysitter or something. So yeah, I understand completely. If I ever get married myself, I'll also probably not allow any children there lol.

• The way I think, sweetie, if I had it My way, there would be a "child-free" restaurant on every corner of the world. I find that many times, when parents bring their kids of all ages to these "fancy pants" places, where there are food fights, blatting babies, All hell breaks out. As one quote goes: "I would sometimes sit in a crowded restaurant, and say,'You know, I'm the only person in here that can't draw.'

I agree with you, when it comes to "catered affairs," that a child's place, at times Is at home, and not wiping snotty noses or their dirty hands all over the clean linens.

However, although it Is your preference to have Whom you want and in what age bracket, you may have a "problem child" issue if you would Just invite certain ones from your side and the groom's side of the family. With my wise insight on many peoples' behaviors in today's society, especially, I can almost bet you there would be some "wedding bell blues" because You allowed Some, while--- Others--- were discarded like pieces of confetti at the ceremony. You can be sure to "hear all about it" sometime down the line or even possibly find out there were plenty of "sneers and jeers" around the punch bowl.

What I might suggest, that may sound silly, but save the peace in all sides of the family, is choose Two children(draw straws for it)to at least be part of the blessed event(No reception),such as flower girl and ring bearer, and as not to have any "broken noses" from the other offspring, extend special gift certificates at a favorite "Eats and sweets" place, that will automatically thrill them, and not----shrill them---having to stay home, either with a sitter or a-------sandwich.xx

• if you make an exception for children in your immediate family though why should mothers of children you don't know care?

• If you make an exception for your own, there will be broken noses if they cannot bring theirs. Somehow my idea was to compromise..if this is what you are asking?

• I would do the same. I would make mine 16+ at the wedding, 18+ at the reception. Kids can spoil these types of things. I'm not an advocate for kids as a whole... but some can behave. 16+ are mature enough to sit still in my opinion, but under that age you're not trusted to drive, why should you be trusted with a day that is supposed to be a woman's 'happiest day of her life'? They could ruin everything. Ignore whoever is calling you names. If they don't like you, they don't have to attend. They aren't the ones marrying you! They can all shove a spoon down their throats. It's your wedding, do whatever you want! Congratulations by the way! Best of wishes!

• I thought you meant you wanted to not be pregnant or have given birth before your marriage. which I thought was reasonable.

if you don't want kids at your wedding you don't have to have them. its your wedding. I went to many weddings as a child without any problems...but I was always very well behaved.

i don't really have a personal opinion on this since kids don't bother me, and I don't intend to marry. however as I said. I think of you're going to shell out copious amounts of money for one day. you should make it exactly as you want it.

youre not making statement about children. you're getting married, just ma it bout that.

• Perfectly acceptable. In fact, my own wedding is going to be a child free event. It is going to be 16+ since there are some older teens who are important to us and should be there. Under 16 and you're not invited.

I love kids, my fiance loves kids and we want to have our own, but we don't want them at the wedding. The guest list is only like 40 people anyways and the youngest is 16 so that's fine. Basically, the way I see it is that if your kid's name is not on the invitation, don't ask me to bend my rule and definitely don't bring them. Find a babysitter or decline the invite.

• Understandable. Children can't sit still for long and their screeching might ruin what for you is the most important day of your life. It's your wedding, so it's your call. But some people with children feel like they have a right to impose them on everyone else, so you might make some enemies with this. But who cares? If they're that self-centered that they can't make your wedding day pleasant, then you don't need them around anyway. They already take their kids everywhere they're not supposed to, like expensive restaurants or long waiting lines, so they can learn to leave them at home for once.

• This is very common but I don't think people make it so obvious when inviting guests. Say you want to invite only the parents; then just make the invitation card out to Mr & Mrs X. Don't mention the kids. I assume you'll be asking for RSVPs so you know how many people need to be seated. It would be illogical of them to then show up with 7 kids without at least asking if the invite extends to the children.

• When you become a mother your life will revolve around your child. I would be offended because your saying that children might ruin your wedding. You can always have some of them participate, ring bearer and flower girl. If it's outside the kids will want to go play outside anyway. It's a family gathering and Union of families, that's weird you would leave the younger generation out and not show an example of love to them. That's on you though! Bottom line: kids make noises, get used to it.

• okay, that's fine that your life will revolve around your child but that doesn't mean that everyone else's lives have to too just to accomodate you. Kids make noises true, but not everyone should just have to "get used to it" if they don't want to be interruped while reading their vows.

• It is not a matter of parents imposing their children in other people's lives. It's a matter of acceptance from people who clearly do not think very highly of children learning to interact with adults. You are expecting children to ruin your good time because you do not understand children. And that is offensive to the parent. A child free reception makes more sense especially of you serve alcohol.

• I understand that I would rather not have a child at an evening reception with fancy attire and expensive per plate food. I understand children enough to know that I do not want them there. I don't want to pay for chicken fingers, I do not want to have the DJ play child music, I do not want to pay extra for child entertainment. Parents can hire babysitters or they can decline my invitation.

• Well, I mean its your wedding, if you don't want kids there then that's your call

• Seems fine. America's funniest home videos proves kids can ruin ANYTHING. So get a family member or even a neighbor to watch them.

• Sounds fine.

• Today's society, a sad as it sounds, either "stands on ceremonies" or are super thinned skin.

• I wouldn't be offended it would just be different and I would have to find a babysitter.

• I agree with you

• I'm completely indifferent and fine with whatever the bride and groom want to do.

For myself, if I ever manage to get married, I'd prefer a guest-free wedding, in general. So, I may not be your target demographic for this question.