What do you think about child free weddings?

When I get married, I don't think I will want children there (like under the age of 16 or 18).

I would want to have an outdoor ceremony and a nighttime, fancy reception. I would want to keep the guest list under 200 (150 if i can) and I would want it to be a fun, party-style affair. I also wouldn't want to pay a ton of money/plate for kids that won't touch their meals.

What do you think about a child free wedding?

I am 24 now and hope to be married by 30 (ideally, but obviously that's not a sure thing). I have nieces and nephews that would be under the 16 age cutoff at that time so I was thinking about including them in the ceremony, but having my reception be adult only.

To people who say "you're not even getting married, who cares?" True. I'm not, but i want to know what the general consensus is about this. I don't want to offend people, but I also don't want to place the wants and wishes of my parent guests above my own on my wedding day.

• i would prefer a child free wedding
  • child free weddings are selfish and rude
  • I wouldn't care either way

Most Helpful Girl

• I'm not sure if I'll ever get married, but I do agree that a child free wedding sounds nice. I think it's just more fun that way, since you can do more "adult" things (at the reception) without feeling bad because kids might be looking. Nothing dirty, I just mean things like getting a little drunk or generally partying hard. Like you don't have to worry about being a good role model or anything. It's also more fun for the kids' parents because then they could just hire a babysitter for the night without having to worry about leaving early just to put their kids to bed. So no loud, crying or annoying kids running around. Not all kids are like that of course, but you never really know with them.

What Guys Said 3

• It is selfish and short-sighted to plan decide to stay childless. Everybody looks at the present and early married life.

Kids are a blessing and give you someone to live for past mid-life.

• okay, but why do i have to invite them to my wedding?

• Oh... I completely misunderstood the question. Oh dang. What a dope !!! My response should be deleted with a big red cross over it like middle school teachers used to put.

• It's your wedding and you can decide who can or can't come.
    I would prefer child free too, but I don't like kids, so it might be just that.

• i like kids. i am not ready to have any yet, and I don't appreciate when they are in places that aren't child appropriate (like an R rated movie, a bar, a late night party). Honestly, I'm also worried that even one of my nieces or nephews will throw a fit and have a meltdown in the middle of the ceremony (as they have done at my older sibling's weddings) but I don't think i can get away with enforcing the 16+ rule at the ceremony for my family.

• Maybe have an area/room for kids, so they won't be of too much trouble if you can't have the 16+ rule.
      But again, I think you have the right to do so, as it is your party.

• Wouldn't bother me. i don't care much about kids.

What Girls Said 3

• I would feel mean doing that because I have family who would be under that age and also friends, so I wouldn't do it myself (also I LOVE babies so id want them there) lol

• I personally want a guest free wedding.

Lol.

• I love da kiddos and feel they bring a fun and lighthearted touch to any celebration, including weddings. I would want them at my wedding :)

• but would you be offended if your child wasn't welcome at a wedding? i'm not against weddings with kids, i would just prefer a wedding of mine to be sans-kids.

• No i wouldn't be offended.