What are your thoughts on 18-20 year olds marrying?

I hear about a lot of couples that got marries real early or that recently got married. Their age range: 18-20. What are your thoughts?

Most Helpful Guy

• Who cares? Marriage isn't the same thing it use to be. People use to be married when they were 14, and dead when they were 40. Both people were also needed to survive the harsh times. There was also a huge stigma for getting divorced. Today none of that applies. We can survive for much longer on our own, and divorce because we woke up in a bad mood.

If two people want to sign a peace of paper saying they are married let them. That paper isn't going to bind them. The only thing that will keep a couple together is hard work and compromise. Husband/wife or boyfriend/girlfriend isn't much difference anymore. There is a little difference like inheritance and stuff, but not a big difference that you can notice daily. You can even live with someone without being married. Getting married young isn't a mistake, picking the wrong partner is.

What Guys Said 6

• I feel that unless they were childhood sweethearts that's probably why the divorce statistics are so high.

• Perfectly fine. In fact, that was the age people usually got married in the past. Ask your grandparents when they got married. I'm willing to bet most elderly people didn't get a divorce after 10 years of marriage, unlike now.

• should be after college and only women should marry that young...

• Wait until your children have grown up and left home.By then you'll know if it's going to work.

• Iv seen FAR too many young marriages that ended in a speedy divorce (within a couple years) Most people that age just aren't ready. Either financially or emotionally. Hundreds of years ago teen marriage was the norm. But today its a huge mistake usually.

• Most 40 year olds I know shouldn't be getting married.

What the fuck are people doing.

What Girls Said 7

• Seems too young to me.

But, everyone's lives are different.
    I guess it depends on what you want from your life. I want to do lots of travelling and stuff... I don't know when I'll be ready to get married and start thinking about a family.

• I try not to judge, but I think it's got to be one of the dumbest, most foolish things a young person can do. They're probably going to build their entire identity around a wife or husband's role rather than discovering who they really are. It's just not a wise decision at all. If they're really all that in love and meant to be, then waiting a few years won't do any harm.

• I'm not a judgmental person so if they personal think there ready for this type of commitment then go ahead , but its hard. Your not only spending the rest of your life with this guy/girl your fully commiting eachother as one. It won't be your decision on things it will both be yours decision now. But age doesn't really matter to me if you think your ready to love and care for this person forever then I'm happily to see go do it.

• id bet on how long theyll last or if she was pregnant.

• this sums up how i see them http://cdn2-b.examiner.com/sites/default/files/styles/image_content_width/hash/b4/d3/b4d39b2962f7e7ac23159684cd651356.jpg? itok=Yjxc2DTm

• I've seen this s LOT lately (I just graduated last year) and I think it's dumb except for in the cases when the people have been dating since like the 8th grade which I mean I think is acceptable because they know each other really well by then.
    Most of what I've seen is people rushing into marriage though. It's mostly those people who believe in "waiting until marriage to have sex" .. you aren't waiting until marriage if you marry the first person you see! I was on Facebook last month and some girl I went to high school started dating this guy in December and they just got married o_0 like whaaaaa? Then this other girl I graduated with just had a shotgun wedding she's like 5 months pregnant I think I don't even think she was dating the guy. I think there was just a baby so they forced them to get married.

I just don't see the rush. Like I mean I understand 21+, in fact if me and my boyfriend are together still in 3 years time it'd be nice to get engaged, but I mean enjoy your youth. Your time by yourself because most people have kids 2-5 years after they get married no matter what age they tie the knot so why speed all of that up?

• -----------------STUPID