Why am I catching so much crap about changing my name when I get married?

I've decided to take my girls last name when I get married next month. I hate mine she hates mine so I don't see the issue.

Most Helpful Guy

• just because it goes against the old traditions of marriage and the typical gender roles society has. Frankly though who cares? If it's want you want to do then it shouldn't matter what other's think. I know women who haven't changed their name, I know one couple where the man took the wife's last name, and I know couples who have completely created a new last name and used their old last name as a middle name.

Family (surnames) names aren't quite what they used to be in the ancient past when family names where so linked to social standing

What Girls Said 2

• It's probably because that's not the norm. More people are doing whatever they want with their last names when they get married now though. I think a lot of people just think it's weird/different for the man to change his name, and that's why they make comments. Do whatever you like with your name!

• Good on you. :)

I know guys with names like Maycock and lightfoot.

What Guys Said 4

• Who cares man. Nobody else matters :)

• Its just a last name.

• Sheeple are easily bothered by situations out of the norm of society.

• People don't know how to react to something they are unfamiliar with. That's just humans for you ;)