Why do so many people make fun of my accent?

I'm Filipina, grew up in Singapore speaking mostly Chinesee. My English is getting pretty good now, but so many people think I'm dumb because I... Show More

Most Helpful Girl

• i learned this in sociology! its called cultural shock and culture competition! You feel pride in your culture and skin color and look down upon others...which is really common in America. People just feel threatened and feel better when they make fun of your accent. It sucks, but its common.There's a lot of competition and not necessarily racism between cultures, for example the italians think theyre the richest and the smartest and the best with the best food, versus the french who have the fashion, beauty, makeup, etc...its about pride in your culture, that people can't help..

it is wrong and totally bites...you just have to ignore it and not let it get to you...you will find a guy because everyone has someone made for them =]

Asker upvoted