Why didn't my boyfriend get me a 1 year anniversary/vday/birthday present ?

My boyfriend and I had been dating for almost a year and it was my b day and he took me out to eat but didn't get me a single card/present/stuffed animal.. nothing. And then our one year anniversary/v day (they are on the same day) he didn't even get me a v day present OR something for our anniversary. Then for Xmas I got him a bag full of presents (almost $300 worth) and he got me perfume from Hollister and a DVD. wtf is up with that?

Most Helpful Guy

• It sounds like you're focusing WAY too much on the material aspects of your relationship.

Put frankly, it isn't your boyfriend's job to purchase you stuffed animals and presents. Gifts from him shouldn't be out of obligation, but out of affection. Personally, I'd say $300 of stuff is way too much for one Christmas. If there's something he desperately wants that costs $300, then that's up to you, but getting a whole bunch of stuff for him just to expect it in return is rather shallow of you.

I don't know about your boyfriend, but I always have trouble coming up with gifts to buy around Christmas and the like. I personally would much rather just get something that my girlfriend really wants when it's out rather than just being obligated to get something on Christmas and Valentine's day. Likewise, I rarely have anything that I really want, so I hate when people ask me what to get me for the holidays. It's possible that your boyfriend could be the same way.

In short, don't expect him to spend money on you just because you did it for him. You aren't appreciating a gift if you are expecting it.

• Ya good point. I guess I'm just used to receiving gifts on holidays because of my past relationship. Sometimes I feel that its a way for a guy to express his feelings because they tend to dislike talking about them. And I did give him hints of things I wanted. But I guess the quote, "Don't expect too much and you won't be let down" comes into play here.