7 ads which don't conform to gender stereotypes

1. Bodyform is a UK-based company which produces and sells female sanitary product. This recent ad was a response to a post on their Facebook page and it's perfect.

2. GetUp! Australia is an independent movement to build a progressive Australia and bring participation back into our democracy.

Their recent ad promotes marriage equality through the eyes of a gay person who is also in a relationship. It seeks to challenge the stereotypes and misconceptions of what an 'authentic' on-screen relationship looks like.

3. Always is a well-known brand of female sanitary products. Their recent ad challenges the phrase 'like a girl' and the negativity that surrounds it. It is too often used as an insult to imply that a man, or anyone for that matter, does something in an inferior way.

4. Sport England: This Girl Can - this advert seeks to encourage more women to exercise. Sport England recognised that many adverts which show women doing exercise, show a woman with a model-like figure which can actually discourage women from doing exercise because they are self-conscious about the way they look. These are real women with real bodies and it's great.

5. This advert by Philippnes Pantene highlights the double-standards that comes with being a 'successful' woman. While your male counterparts will be praised for their determination and persuasiveness, a woman will be labelled bossy and pushy. Perhaps these negative labels contribute to the shameful lack of women in big business. Philippines Pantene do a great job of addressing thse double-standards.

6. Money Supermarket's most recent advert which is selling car insurance bizarrely shows a man strutting down a street in hot pants and 6 inch stilettos. But for some reason, I asolutely love it. Werk.

Join the discussion

0/2500

Submit

What Guys Said 7

• Turn on TV:
    Women, Women, Women, Women, Women, Women, Women, Women, Women, Women, Women, Women, Women, Women, Women, Women, Women, Women, Women, Women, Women, Women, Women, Women, Women, Women, Women, Women, Women, Women, Women, Women, Women, Women, Women, Women, Women, Women, Women, Women, Women, Women, Women, Women, Women, Women, Women, Women, Women.

Turn on the radio:

Starts a debate:

Gets into politics:

• Ohh my god. This comment is almost comically incorrect. In the vast majority of industries, as well as on television, women are still very badly represented. wmc.3cdn.net/6dd3de8ca65852dbd4_fjm6yck9o.pdf

But your comment does rather beautifully match up with research showing that people tend to perceive groups with at least 17% women as 50/50 male and female, and groups with 33% women as female dominated. So good job showing exactly why we need feminism.

• "yes i am a straight white cis male!! stop telling me i am very priveliged!! i am OPPRESSED!!!"

• Ciper please understand it's because men work their asses off to get to where they are. Men never got a free pass in life. Buildings needed to be built, society needed structure and laws, roles are needed, techonlogy is needed. Men built and shaped the world because it needed to be done. The harsh truth is that women never stepped up, they never took a risk. Men fought wars because it was needed, women want to fight wars becuase they want to prove something... big difference.

• "Real women with real bodies"?

Lol I'm out.

• care to elaborate?

• That expression is usually used to glorify obesity.

• well i didn't use it in the context of glorifying obesity. many of the women in the video are overweight but it is showing them exercising and doing something about it. that's the whole point. don't be so dismissive

• Every time I see the money supermarket one it makes me smile. The labels against women was a big eye opener for me. great take :)

• Oh, stop whining about "gender stereotypes" all the time. They are there, they will always be. And people who have a problem with one particular stereotype but are okay with others are the reason for that.

• Gender stereotypes are there. Murder too is there. So are abuse and stealing. Is that a reason to use these, to spread them in ads?

• Can you tell me at what point I whined? I think all of these ads promote a positive message to people who feel confined by their prescribed gender role, and it sends a message to them that it is okay not to conform. Deal with it.

• "Deal with it." - exactly, you should deal with it.
      Nobody cares about these ads, unless he's someone who can't deal with the stereotypes.

• Sharon Osbourne looks like a monkey

• #3 is my favorite... thanks for sharing.

• yeah i think that's my favourite too :)

• Where's ad 7? Just sayin'

What Girls Said 7

• #3 I always think this about the term "like a girl" or "man up". I try to avoid those phrases when ever I can. There's no shame or weakness about being a woman!
    I loved #5 :)
    #6 is my favourite advert! He does it great. I spoke to him on Twitter and he wished my mum a kiss. He's so lovely. <3

• These are the best

• Meh. I'm a stereotypical woman in real life and like it the way it is. I'm not girly but I'm feminine and don't wish to fight with it because it makes me happy. In the contrary whenever I find myself unhappy is when I feel less feminine and out of stereotypes.

• maybe the best way to solve that is to not let your femininity define your happiness. find happiness elsewhere also,

• 3000 years human history was all taught a study with a group of unhappy girls disprove all of it. good logic. Still I see most of my friends whom were growing up with me in this hypocritical situation have their femininity in a hypocritical way and others faced and embraced it like me.
      My world isn't small yours is. I actually am doing great feeling good in what I am. You struggle with yourself until you bite the dust.

• i'm doing great. you're away with the fairies, love.

• 2 is my favourite, Love is love, love doesn't discriminate.

• This was brilliant. <3 loved them all.

• glad you enjoyed :D

• Love them all- three has got to be my favourite though. Great take! 😊

• thanks :D. that's my favourite too

• love em all!!!