Reasons NOT to use Facebook (Or other social media)

1. Waste of time

Let's face it. Facebook use is almost always going to be for fun, out of boredom, to communicate with friends/family and share posts and pictures. Usually there is something else you could be doing with your spare time that is more productive. Whether it be the dishes, the laundry, your homework, your taxes, a job application, an appointment, and so on. Very rarely if ever the average person will use facebook for some kind of productive purpose that makes progress in their life, other than maybe reconnecting with an old friend, family member, or lover. (Which may not even be a good idea afterall)

2. Privacy and discretion

I can't tell you the hundreds and thousands of things I have learned about people that I have met, or have never met, just from reading their facebooks. Some of these things are very personal, embarrasing, or just downright unintelligent or self-damning. People seem to get the idea that if you are not friended to them on facebook, you are not reading their facebook. THIS IS NOT THE CASE!!!

In fact the only reason I even use facebook is to read other peoples' profiles and find out information that I want to know. It is a very useful investigation tool for sure. If I do happen to mention something to someone that they never told me, they often wonder how I knew about it. *smirk* People don't realize that it's not just their facebook friends and family that read their shit. There's people you DON'T want to know certain private things about you. Everyone has skeletons in their closets, and it seems facebook has been a pretty useful tool in unveiling them.

Most facebook profiles are set as public. However, even when people set their facebooks private, it's actually not private. You can still browse through tons of posts and pictures through mutual friends. So if you have one friend at all on your profile, IT AIN'T PRIVATE!!!

3. False advertising yourself

People are often a lot more bold on the internet. This can range from what they say on their posts, to private messages, to the pictures they put up and who they friend. If you read somebody's facebook profile before you get to know them much, it can be easy to get a preconceived notion about who is this person really is. This could be good, or bad, but either way there's a great chance of it being inaccurate. As mentioned in the previous post, it's another form of privacy invasion. Some people might friend you just so they can read your posts and use them against you. This can also come into play when applying for a job. There's plenty of people who have not been hired over things they posted on facebook years ago, or fired for current posts as a matter of fact.

4. Lack of Communication

With all of this technology, the main way of communication is now through an electronic device. This will just decrease the amount of family gatherings, barbecues with friends, and maybe even dates or love letters from your significant other. It is far more personal to be able to talk to someone on the phone or meet them in person.

Join the discussion

0/2500

Submit

What Guys Said 9

• I had stopped using facebook. I feel release from the big heavy burden.

• Completely agreed! :D

• or you don't know how to use it to your advantage.

• Which most people don't. I use it to my advantage to find out information. People post a lot of embrassing shit on there.

• Correct! I don't like being followed and stalked on. I say No to social media ;)

Gr8 take!

• I HATREDS FB
    And can't join in blogs because of that.

• You've got to ask yourself why the CIA literally owns major shares of fb. How can that ever be good, or an indicator that you can trust all your personal info and contacts to them. Wise up people. Do your homework. Know where you share, what you share, and with whom you share. Better yet, never share any personal info online till we eradicate the spooks and agents of control.

• Definitely not. People don't seem to be very shy at all about what they share. Lots of embarrassing stuff gets posted on there.

• But I like facebook for keeping in touch with my friends :)

• Social media can be a very superior tool. Your points are somewhat valid, but if you have good ethics and really take care of what kind of information you post and to who, you should be fine. Personally, it's opened up a whole new platform in keeping touch with friends overseas, and up to date with uni announcements. And there's much more it can do..

• Indeed. That is why I posted a mytake about reasons to not use it. It is very glamorized and people tend to miss the negative aspects.

• Hi Onyxx! Would you count GaG as social media? Overall I agree with your MyTake I stopped using Facebook last year...

• Hey. :) It would be a form yes, but more impersonal. It's not typically people you know in real life like on twitter, MySpace, facebook, etc.

What Girls Said 3

• I fuckin' hate Facebook so much. I've seen it ruin lives, and make other people's lives blown out of proportion because of ego and boredom. I was one of the first people on Facebook when it came out to the public and after several "breaks" and deactivations for short periods, finally deactivated for good and don't wish to ever go back since this past March.

QUESTION: If you deactivate your page, which was private beforehand, and I do mean private - you could not click my profile picture to see more, you could not see one iota of my wall or go through any albums before. I had even deleted many things my friends could see before deactivating - can there still be a privacy concern? I know when you put stuff out on the Internet, it's out there forever, is that really true with Facebook if you really close shop by deactivating and don't log in again?

• That I would not know for sure. I could imagine if there were, the traces of it would be much harder to find.

• Yep. There are many more, but that's the gist of it. =)

And it creates paranoia. O. o

• These are all the reasons why I do not have Facebook. Its a nuisance and causes nothing but grief😒

Thank you GAG for creating a beautiful atmosphere where I feel safe😀😀😀😀

• Exactly. I don't have a facebook either, except just to look at other profiles. I think it could very well do more harm than good.

• @tattooedhandfet Haha you seem confident :)

• That and determined 😊