What They Don't Tell You About High School

It's only until you leave high school that you see high school and everything about it differently. You see your fellow classmates completely change, you experience different learning environments, if you go onto higher education, and high school suddently starts to feel like a nostalgic period of your life that you start to miss.
The following are what I've noticed and/or learnt since leaving high school. :)

1. You don't need to do homework

I'm not saying you shouldn't do homework, the whole point of it is to expand your knowledge and to help you memorise what you've been taught otherwise there would be no point in teaching you, but you technically don't need to do homework. Unlike college or university, you can't be dropped from high school due to lack of work because you're legally required to be there. In higher education, all work you are given is compulsory for you to complete the course which is why it's called "coursework". Despite it being more important and compulsory in higher education, tutors are more laid back because at that point, your education is in your hands and you chose to do the course so it's your decision to fail or pass. Your teachers get angry when you don't do your homework because they want you to do your best so you have the means to go onto higher education if you wanted to. So homework isn't entirely unnecessary and it's not compulsory, like I thought it was. If you want to succeed in education, I recommend you do homework.

2. The popularity contest ends at the school gates

You can't deny that high school is a popularity contest of some sort. Every class is assorted into ranks that seem to assemble themselves naturally over time. When you're in high school, that's all you know and the popularity contest is what students are usually preoccupied about. It's easy to feel like this popularity contest exists in every part of life, which it does in a sense, but not as obviously or as intensely as in high school. The vast majority of adults treat others as equals and you will often feel like an equal, not inferior or out of place like you may feel you are now. Literally, the day you leave high school, the hierarchy system you've come to know immediately starts to dissipate. You often see the nerds having more of a party life and having more friends, than the "popular" ones in high school. Don't let this popularity contest get to you, remember that the outside, adult world is a lot different in that sense!

3. Teachers don't know everything

I believe we often assume our teachers know everything, because... well, they're teaching us everything! Despite their confidence, sometimes teachers teach things they're not fully knowledgeable of or are unsure of, yet we often take every word they say as fact. As I've learnt in college, tutors are a lot more laid back and often show their mistakes and are usually honest about their capabilities. High school teachers can't be much different, though they don't show it because high school students are a lot crueller. I only really observed this situation in college. My Maths teacher actually used to hate Maths but somehow ended up being a teacher of it, but he's also an English teacher... that makes regular spelling mistakes! They're human too. They make mistakes, they forget things, they have emotions and they're just trying to make a living, yet some students give them an unnecessarily hard time.
If your teacher suddenly starts acting strange, stumbling over their words or stuttering, it's probably because they're not entirely sure of what they're teaching or they're just having a brain fog; give them a break!

4. Nothing really matters

Aside from your final grades and qualifications that you will be taking with you for the rest of your life, nothing else really matters when you leave high school. That F you got in a history revision test won't matter, that person in your class that always teased you won't matter (you'll probably never see them again) and the teacher that seems to pick on you all the time won't matter. What really matters is the experience and enjoying it because believe it or not, you will miss it and they are years of your life you can never get back or repeat. The years go by insanely quickly so make the most of all the good you experience so you have more good memories to reminisce over.

What was your experience after leaving highschool; did a lot change?

Hannah591 is a GirlsAskGuys Editor
Who are Editors?

Join the discussion

0/2500

Submit

What Guys Said 6

• "The popularity contest ends at the school gates"

Sort of yes and no. People in general will always like the popular person no matter where you are in life.

• Life gets more fun after high school

• Oh for Christ's sake.

• 1. In the US, all homework is graded, and generally it makes up a significant part of your final grade, generally at least 30% if not more. Acing all other parts of your assessment and skipping homework would generally leave you with no more than a C. So not doing homework will hose your GPA hard and drastically affect University admissions.

Beyond that, doing homework builds good habits for adult life, specifically that of being prepared, self motivating, time management, etc. All extremely useful skills to have as an adult.

2. The popularity contest doesn't end, it gets more complex. You still have to deal with egos, rumors, ass kissers, favoritism, and personality conflicts in the work place. It's not always a meritocracy.

• 1) In HS, you have to do homework if you want a good grade because it's typically graded. If you're so smart that you don't need homework to pass the tests, then you'll still get grades without doing it in most classes, because you get credit for the homework. Whereas, in college, many if not most classes don't really grade the homework, they just tell you to read or do a problem set. The only graded homework often is an essay.

2) Popular kids still end up as frat boys and jocks in college, so actually they are still popular. After college it ends.

4) very true. Adults seem to forget 90% of what they "learned" in high school.

• In college, nearly all work given is graded and required for you to complete the course.
      We only have arrogant boys, but they tend not to bother anyone and people don't put them on a pedestal.

• Don't do homework!

Very, very soon you will be on your way up the ladder at Burger King and who knows where it might lead? Drive-thru window maybe.

• Homework doesn't determine your future. I occasionally didn't do my homework yet I have a high paying job and I'm in college. I'm overqualified to work in a fast food restaurant too.

• I really don't care. I'm happy with my country, the education system and my life.

• Oh, and I suppose that chewing gum is a distraction too?

What Girls Said 10

• Awesome take! I just graduated and, well, you're right. I am still not nostalgic over the Hs days but I know I'll miss them later on in college :D

• I've never been in a college course that didn't require us to do coursework aka homework.

and popularity does matter a lot in work as far as how you are treated and who you hang out with.

• I'm in my 3rd year, we all just need to hang in there o. e

• İ am still high school :// this year i take the transition to higher education examinaton

• Homework definitely matters... at my high school it was possible to fail the class if we didn't hand in an assignment.

What no one told me about high school was how mean kids can be as they get older, how little guidance counsellors actually know about the real world, and how much pressure I'd feel to graduate with good grades and get into several universities.

A lot changed after I graduated. I moved away and met new people, which was such a nice change from being cooped up every day with the same 55 kids in my grade. Most of the students in my university classes were there to learn and participate and for the most part they didn't judge others for being different because everyone there WAS unique and different, and that was encouraged. I was able to crawl out of my shell and become more comfortable around my peers, not to mention I learned a heck of a lot from some truly excellent professors. And I learned how to live on my own in a new city, which really helped me become more independent.

• I knew this shit in high school

• Oh and you know everything because you studied biology correct? That's why your better at life?

• In my last year of high school this year..

• I guess it depends on where you go to school.
    Here homework DOES matter.
    If you don't do your homework you could fail and they will hold you back.
    2. My high school wasn't a popularity contest.
    From what I've witnessed though that whole hierarchy stuff doesn't end at high school. It happens in college and at work places. You'd think that adults wouldn't do that, but they do.
    I never have a problem with this, but a lot of people do.
    3. Yeah, teachers don't know everything, but they usually do know a lot about the subject they're teaching. The only ones that don't (from what I've personally seen) are substitutes.
    4. Eh. I guess.

My experience after high school was kind of the same. I think high school was harder than college. In high school your teachers have to teach you, but in some colleges they're like "teach yourself" so meh.

• Everyone word is true

• Thanks for this, I'm going to start high school in September, so this helped. ☺

• I'm glad it helped. Good luck with high school. :)

• I can mostly calculate that I will get in based on the preliminary results.

• That's good. ☺