So you wanna write something? Write on!

I see a lot of potential in some people to put their thoughts in to words and a common excuse is, “I can’t write.” Writing is one part creativity, whereby you have the ability to convey your thoughts in to words. The other part is the actual work of writing. You probably have the ideas in your head, but get discouraged by the discipline it takes to put it all together.

Give it a go. The result is very gratifying! If you can understand the plan of a written piece and how to entertain with words, the rest is cake.

I’ve revealed a few times on GaG that I’m a professional writer. I’m a published author of two books, I’ve worked as a writer and producer in broadcasting, and I’ve contributed articles both online and in print for social and consumer sites.

If I can help with a few tips on what works for me (note, every writer is different), then maybe we will see a lot more people taking chances, and writing terrific blogs and articles (and here, on GaG as myTakes).

So you wanna write something? Write on!

Auntie Ozanne’s Guide to Writing

1. Figure out what your passion is. Are you ready to commit to several hours, weeks, or months reading and writing about one thing? If you have a fly-by-night interest in something such as Chinese cuisine, yet feel that there will be a chance you’ll become bored, don’t invest that time. Find something of interest for the long haul.

2. Read. All writers are readers. Even if you think you know what you’re talking about, there's always more to research. Reading others’ work will also give you ideas on how to convey your thoughts. You may start to see patterns of how most writing is done in your medium, and pick it up as if you were a foreigner in a country trying to learn a new language. (Just read. It’s good for your soul anyway!)

3. Plan the project (writing a book). If you’re writing a book, jot down on a piece of paper the sections of the book and what will be going in each section. Publishers believe 75,000 - 100,000 is a good start for a new author. If you break 75,000 words down in to approximately ten sections, then you know you’ll need 7,500 words per section as a goal. Use a program like Word which does a word count for you as you write so you can keep track.

4. Plan the project (writing an essay or article). You have a short time to make an impression, so keep the language bright and informative. Put yourself in the reader’s shoes and ask yourself if you’d be engaged by the topic as is presented. Keep the sentences short. Break up your thoughts with point-form.

5. Use spellcheck at all times and lose the text speak. Spelling mistakes are an eyesore, and often times distract a reader when they become hooked on your errors. You gain a lot more credibility for the subject you write about if you keep your work clean at all times. You’re the writer, and readers look to you for presenting your piece professionally.

6. Use paragraphs. One wall of text is exhausting to look at. Today, people read with devices with painful backlights, leaving their attention span short. One long paragraph will irritate your reader fast. If you notice you’ve written approximately five sentences and can go ahead and give your thought a break in to a new paragraph, do it. (Exception: When writing a novel, this rule can be broken as a train of thought from a character is limitless.)

7. Practice having fun with language. The use of similes and metaphors are always entertaining! Reading an article without a simile is like a munching on popcorn without the butter. You want your baby to be enjoyed by your readers. Use a thesaurus, and introduce new ways to describe something that isn’t often used. Readers are intrigued when they are challenged, and if they can broaden their vocabulary (thanks to you), your style becomes more enjoyable to invest time into.

The beauty of the written word is that while one is reading, they are for that moment, looking at the exact thoughts you had at the very moment you were writing them. It’s for this reason that writing brings you closer to people.

If you have a creative mind, you are patient enough, you enjoy hours of drinking coffee, and you don’t think you’d mind late nights trying to perfect your work, then you just may already be a writer.

Ozanne is a GirlsAskGuys Editor
Who are Editors?

Join the discussion

0/2500

Submit

What Guys Said 5

• I'm actually all written out at the moment lol, been writing and thinking a lot lately and kind of taking a short break from it right now.

• I've already written one novel although its word limit has exceeded. I just have to pluck up the courage to send it out and try for publication. Meanwhile, also focusing on two other novels.

• I enjoy reading and writing good literature

• Point no. 3 was excellent.

My question is, can I be a good writer if I liberally hate reading?

"Reading an article without a simile is like a munching on popcorn without the butter."
    -And I see what you did there 😉

• *Gasp!* Hate? What is there to hate about it?

• I thought you were 19.. did you JUST turn 20?

• In January.

• "Share the knowledge"... that's what my mentor tells men.

What Girls Said 7

• Thank you so much, I want to be an author when I grow up but what type of jobs would you recommend to have on the side to get money to live on?

• Any job that you don't take home with you at night. If you work in a field such as sales and find clients tend to call you after hours, it will interrupt your writing time. Find something that will accommodate your writing on the side, such as a job that is easy on the brain and won't leave you feeling mentally exhausted later on. Anything will do as long as you're happy and can still find the hours later on to write. :)

• Ah okay thanks a lot :)

• I have written a few books 😁😁 and yes to #6

• Thank you so much, I really enjoyed your take for I love reading romance and writing poetry. I have been going through something terrible with writer's block lately. But I see now that I need to get inspired. Hugs *)

• Awesome take! I know a lot of people on GAG enjoy writing (including myself), so I'm sure we will all benefit from this greatly.

• Sometimes I get this burning desire, to write from within, like a lit candle fire.
    It's ready to be said, to be spoken, to be read, but I first must write it down before I forget.
    Unfortunately for me, I can be quite terribly lazy.
    With all these thoughts that drive me crazy, and I'm here just procrastinating. Oh... now what was I thinking? My thoughts have gone hazy.
    See what I did there? ;)

• Excellent advice writing is my passion and I'm glad to say that this can help me as well as many others 😊

• Great my take 😉 Indeed some of us are just lazy sometimes

• This is exactly why every single writer is also a procrastinator. :)

• Haha yeah I am a master procrastinator. I wouldn't go as far as considering myself a writer though. I did use to write a lot of short stories when I was younger and I really did have the most fun time with it. However, years have gone by since that phase an truth is I dont feel the same kind of compulsion to write nor do I think I would b able to do it as effortlessly as I did before.