Books You Should Definitely Read!

So if I haven't made it clear to GAG already- I love to read! And I've been thinking about what my next myTake should be, and I thought why not books? So here's Books You Should Definitely Read!

1. The Hunger Games- Suzanne Collins

Books You Should Definitely Read!

To be quite honest I used to be addicted to the Hunger Games series.

In a world divided into twelve districts run by the Capital, each district must take part in a fight to the death, or The Hunger Games, and the lone winner receives fame and fortune while the others, well die. The story follows Katniss Everdeen and her battle in the Hunger Games, and throughout her battle for their freedom from the Capital.

2. Wonder- R.J. Palacio

Wonder is an amazing book about a young boy named August who suffers from a face deformity. August is finally going to go to school when he finds a struggle with bullies, friends, and trying to be a normal kid

3. Hattie Big Sky- Kirby Larson

To be honest when I first saw this book I thought it looked, well terrible. But once I started reading it I couldn't stop.

Hattie Big Sky is about a sixteen year old orphan who homesteads by herself in Eastern Montana in hopes she finds a place where she can call home.

4. The Maze Runner- James Dashner

Now keep in mind I'm still reading the final book, The Kill Order in this four book series.

Now I'm sure you've heard much about this book, so I'll just give you a brief summary. Thomas wakes up knowing nothing besides general knowledge (how to eat, sleep, drink, etc.) and his first name. It turns out he's in a place called the Glade, where they cannot escape. But Thomas finds a way out- through the maze. I won't spoil anymore now!

4. The Giver- Lois Lowry

In Jonas's community things are strict. The government decides everything from who your family is, to what you can wear and say, to what you get to be when you grow up. Jonas finally turns twelve, which means the government now decides his Life Assignment, or his job. But Jonas is chosen to be the Receiver of memories, which is a special job. But being the Receiver means Jonas learns the truth of things beyond his own community.

5. The Fault In Our Stars- John Green

Now I know what you're thinking, but this is actually a lot better than what I expected it to be when I started reading.

If you don't already know what The Fault In Our Stars is about I'll tell you- Hazel Grace Lancaster has lung cancer, and just when all hope and enlightenment seems to be lost, she meets Augustus Waters. Augustus Waters is a former cancer survivor himself, and he completely turns Hazel's world around.

Honorable Mentions

Smile by Raina Telgemmeier. This is actually more of a comic rather than a book, not to mention it's more targeted towards a younger audience, which is why I didn't include it.

Paper Towns by John Green. I figured having two John Green books in the same list wasn't the greatest idea, so I picked my favorite out of the two.

Anyways as always I hope you enjoyed! Let me know what I should do next! What books have you read?

Join the discussion

0/2500

Submit

What Guys Said 12

• I also enjoy reading a lot! Thank you for the suggestions... I already have the book Paper towns so that is the one I will read firstly.

• Well at least you read.

• Read the "Secret"

• Oh dear, 'literature' has really taken a turn down piss poor alley hasn't it.

• I have read some of these books and some of them I like some not and that is normal. I want to remind everyone (meaning the person who posted this take and the people who commented) that this is the take authors list of books that they like, some of you will like some of them and some of you won't. I say this because what we all like is subjective, there may be many similarities but ultimately everyone has different tastes and things they care about as well as different perceptions. I think a list like this is a lot of fun even if I don't agree with all the choices on it.

Myself I like a wide range of books of varying types, some examples are:
    Greek and Roman mythology, V for Vendetta, The Watchmen, The Count of Monte Cristo, The Man In The Iron Mask, Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy, Ender's Game, Harry Potter, The Fault In Our Stars, Lord of the Rings, The Hobbit, as well as many books from asia such as mangas and visual novels. Thats only a small sampling of the different types I like to read and have read.

• I don't particularly think any of those are good. Especially not Hunger Games. The first one was mediocre, and it all goes down in quality from there.

• Also book [PSI] is really great!!!

• Mm-mm, hell no. I was about to give some of these books a try but "The Giver" reopened a horrific nostalgic memory of school for me. Nope, nope, nope.

• The Alchemist should be on this list.

• Some of my favorittes:
    the Summoners series (fantasy)
    www.amazon.com/.../ref=series_rw_dp_sw

Sunshine (vampire drama)
    www.amazon.com/.../ref=sr_1_1

Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective agency (comedy)
    www.amazon.com/.../ref=pd_sim_351_1

Claiming the Prince (romantic fantasy)
    www.amazon.com/.../ref=pd_sim_351_7

pretty much anything by Kurt Vonnegut

Wizard's First Rule (fantasy). The first two books of the series are good, then it goes downhill, just fyi...
    www.amazon.com/.../ref=sr_1_1_ha

The Penryn & End of Days series (fantasy, some romance)
    www.amazon.com/.../ref=series_rw_dp_sw

the Codex Alera series is alright
    www.amazon.com/.../ref=series_rw_dp_sw

that's all I can think of offhand...

• to kill a mocking bird?
    gone with the wind?
    fear and loathing in las vegas?
    man in the high tower?
    hitchhiker's guide to the galaxy?

• I'm sorry but I just did not enjoy the Hunger Games. Katniss is the most unlikable character ever. You should read Enders Game.

• I heard Enders Game was good... I might look into it

• i thought ender's game was pretty bad, actually. I mean, the story was alright, but the whole "motive" of the story seemed silly. like "we have this weapon that could end the war, but we want to find some kid to manipulate into giving us authorization to use it."

• Well after they use it for the first time the aliens knew how to defend against it.

What Girls Said 10

• I can tell who the target audience is based on this list.

• Read the book "Milkweed". Its fabulous. I loved every moment of it.

• I love this take! I currently have a reading list I want to finish over the summer before school starts again. I'll be sure to make a take on it as well. I haven't read most of these books, but some of them are on my checklist. Especially those John Green books, everyone is hyping over them haha. Its so hard to find time to read when Uni starts, literally no time. Thanks for this take and book recommendations!

• I just... Don't read

• I read The Giver back in middle school

• Personally, I wouldn't really say that you absolutely HAVE to read the Hunger Games. The books were decent, but nothing life-changing. But I say that about most teen books so what do I know?

• Watership Down? 1984? I Am Legend? these books should be on everyone's list. The Fault In Our Stars is amazing though.

• I Am Legend is amazing and is more of a novella than a novel. You can read it in a few hours.

• This, ladies and gentlemen, is what I call a fucking horrible list of books. Try again, honey, you might do a better list next time.

• You forgot the bible.

• Actually I was going to put that but I know most people on here aren't Christians...

• Thanks for this. I love reading. I will look into some of these. Some aren't in my taste, but that's okay ;-)

You should look into Double Image by David Morrell. I love fiction fantasy so I also really like The Sword of Truth series by Terry Goodkind and The Wheel of Time series by Robert Jordan.

• Haha I'm glad you enjoyed :) and I'll have to read some of these!

• The two series I mentioned are very long, so make sure you are prepared lol. One is 11 books and the other is 14 books all with a minimum of 700 pages

• Oh wow... well that's ok I'll still look into them! :)