If You're Not From Texas, Then You Don't Understand

For those of you who don't know, I'm a very proud Texan. On this myTake I would be explaining some of the things out-of-staters don't understand about being a Texan.

"I'm a Texan first, American second, and it's not Tex-Mex if it's not from Texas!"

1. Texas- it could be our own country

2. Don't Mess with Texas

WARNING: THIS IS NOT A DRILL. We, Texans, take our state pride seriously and won't take your smack talk; just try it if you dare.

3. No, we don't ride horses to school...

or have to wear a cowboy hat to live here. Yes, you will probably have no trouble finding a cowboy, but that does not mean everyone in Texas is one.

4. Football is NOT a sport... it's a LIFESTYLE!

Football is a huge part of the Texan culture. The Dallas Cowboys and the Houston Texans are a big deal here, and of course the biggest rivals in my opinion.

High school football is even crazier. We have the peprallys, and the homecoming mums- every girl in a Texan high school wants to have the biggest and prettiest mum in the entire campus. The bigger, the better.

5. Texas Weather

Texas weather is so bipolar! Rain one day, freezing the day after and melting the next.

6. Guns

Dont' get me wrong Texans are big supporters of second amendment, but not everyone here walks around with a gun in a holster.

7. If it's not from Texas, It's not Tex-Mex

8. Texas Barbecue

You don't know what a barbecue is until you have a Texan BBQ!

9. Not all Tacos are created equal

There's no need to deny it, nothing beats a good fajita or barbacoa street taco!

10. Holiday season also mean tamale season.

11. Every Texan knows who Selena is.

12. Y'all and Fixin' to

We have our own weird vocabulary. In Texas, when you’re getting ready to do something, you’re fixin’ to do it; it's called the State Verb of Texas.

13. We have Whataburger

cl_517 is a GirlsAskGuys Editor
Who are Editors?

Join the discussion

0/2500

Submit

What Guys Said 51

• After reading this i want to go there

• I enjoyed Texas very much! even though the experience was nay

• I'll agree with Barbacoa and Selena only!

California > Texas!

• If the USA are so bad for Texans, what stops Texas from returning to Mexico?

• I feel like anyone can find things about their state to be proud of.. Everyone's sources of pride will be totally different as well. There's no like objective positives that people can agree on nor are they usually exclusive to the state in question. For instance I'll do one!

1) the spirit of Massachusetts is the spirit of America! https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=B_D5wxIJUGI

2) checks and balances started here which all states and the federal government adopted!

3) the American Revolution began here! Have you guys seen the site of the Boston Tea Party or Paul Revere's house? Well I have!

4) first state to start the trend of marriage equality! The domino effect started here! Yay freedom!

5) one of the original 13 colonies represented by the stripes of the American flag! F*** yeah!

6) have you guys been to Plymouth Rock where the pilgrims landed? Well I have!

7) Massachusetts is more pride worthy than any other state in the union and if our history was tweaked a bit there might not be an American Union today! Woohoo! We're the best! Everything's better in Massachusetts!

Lol see? Hahaha

• I want to move to Massachusetts so bad. One day...:') @RedThread

• @vishna yeah it's usually rated like 8-10th most expensive in various cost of living indexes. You really get what you pay for though. We have well funded public schools, MassHealth, and other services.

• I heard from everyone Massachusetts sucks.

It has a nice history but what is there to offer these days?

• It is lunch time - All that food made me hungry - Being to Texas three times really enjoyed it - Everything is so big - You could probably fit a hundred Irelands into Texas - I must admit I did buy a cowbay hat - Caught a Texans game - The beers in the car park before hand were great fun - Love the TEX MEX cuisine - I actually knew who Selena was, there was a post about her murder a few weeks back.

• Whataburger... I heard that place makes the best burgers in the States... gotta try it one day.
    Nice Take :)

• Psh please we Kansans get all that weather in the same week as well, experienced many times before, just a day or two ago we have 4-6 tornadoes appear out of no were around are town all at once.

Y'all, Fixins, Gal, Ladies, etc all common words here

Lol football don't even get me started on the Chiefs we have the most dedicated fanbase of any football ever.

We have some of the most lenient weapon laws in the entire country here, constitutional carry as well as the ability to carry any sort of knife, dirk, dagger or short blade you want to no length restriction either and no one can stop you. I carry around a full length USMC K-Bar.

Kansas barbeque is quite famous, we even have a place here were the motto is we're open till the meat runs dry and pretty much every day there is a line clear outside and they close down just about everyday within a few hours of opening because they've sold everything.

I agree though don't mess with Texas but also don't mess with Kansas either, we make you're bread, about 70-80% of the bread in the entire nation comes from Kansas.

Everything else though yeah that's unique to Texas alone, it is a great state though, I have family down there.

• #8 this

guess it'd be a nice xperience

but #5... sucks :(

• lol I've got a friend from Texas and she talks about whataburger as if it's the second coming. Oh you forgot to mention how much people LOVE the Spurs

• Everyone in Texas is a fat, hillbilly, inbred, gun-loving twonk.

• TURN DOWN FOR WATT?

• Texas has one of the highest obesity rates. Fat people are gross, so I'm never going.
    -Proud Californian

• Lol pride in these things is so unnecessary. It's just empty and arbitrary.

Oh you say you like your state? Never heard that one before.

• Holy shit. The Second American Revolution begins. WHO WILL WIN?

• this is true... I really do not, nor will I ever understand Texas... but that's fine by me.

• Best take ever.

• Texas forever!!!

• I couldn't help it but it your take reminded me of this!!!

https://youtu.be/RJ_PwD0gOSo

• I'm a texan, liberal, not a fan of football, and think that it would be extremely stupid for texas to secede from the us. You are right about the bbq and though, lol.

• More from Guys
    31

What Girls Said 32

• The only part of Texas I saw was when I went to San Antonio. The weather doesn't seem any different from other southern states. I went there the day after Christmas. Which like Georgia it wasn't cold and still warm. Which sucks since that means tornado's will happen. About 2-3 years ago we had a tornado happen the day before Christmas. Plus the weather seems to be bipolar as well.

Only ones on the list that are different from the rest is #11 and #13.

Though the cracker barrel we went in to in Texas had crappy food. That was the only bad part of it.

• I've lived in Texas for all but 2 years of my life. It really does feel like sometimes we are a country unto ourselves because you can drive for like 14 hours and still be in Texas. The first time I went to Maryland as a kid and happened to go through like 4 states in an hour, it was like a shock to my system that this could actually be done. 90% of my road trips are spent just trying to get out of TX. Unfortunately most people think we're still a bunch of hillbilly racist idiots. I went to a wedding in Montana and the bride's aunt asked us (starting with, no offense but), are you gun toting Republicans. I've never owned a gun in my life nor do I hunt, not a Republican, and in my city at least, we have a gay mayor and our theater district and number of fortune 500 companies are second only to New York. Assumptions can of course be true about any group of people from time to time, but it's really annoying when you sort of have to defend your state ALL the time. Thankfully though, there are tons of great people here, the food is amazing, and we have a good time. Yea Texas!

• One of my celebrity crushes lives in Texas. LOL! I nearly travelled to Houston just to try and meet him.

• Cool take but not all of those are exclusive to Texas though. Lol :)

#4 This is true for almost every southern state. Football is a way of life for many people, especially in the south. I'm already counting down the days until football season. I mostly watch college football though, I'm a huge Virginia Tech fan but for pro football, I follow the Redskins.
    #5 Virginia is exactly the same. We have bi-polar weather. I remember one week a couple of years ago we had snow, a hurricane, and then at the end of the week it was 80 degrees Fahrenheit. We frequently have weather changes and hot/cold weather within the same week
    #8 We don't even call that "BBQ" we just call that grilling. Lol Here, BBQ is a type of food, not the action of grilling meat. North Carolina has great BBQ though.
    #11 I know who Selena is.
    #12 That's not a Texan thing. Once again, that's just a southern thing. Lol Everyone where I live says "y'all" and "fixin' to" among many other southern sayings.

• First of all, I love your answer! :)
      If it's college football, well I'm all about the Longhorns lol
      Well, the weather is bipolar everywhere :o
      That's how we call them, well except my mother, she calls it a "carnezaso" or "carne asada"
      That is good, not everyone knows who she is & god, I love being a southerner aahha

• hahaha yes, I'm already getting excited. We get season tickets so pretty much every Saturday when there's a home game, I'm at Virginia Tech. Lol

• Sign me up for Texans Bbq!! *drooling* and oh gosh I need to try Whataburger 😍 heard my friend said they make the best burger in the states!

• ahha okay!! and yes i love whataburger!!

• yes please :)

• Texas BBQ is good. I'm more of a Kansas City style or Carolina style or Georgia style fan.
      But hey, forth place isn't bad.
      Here's a ribbon for participation.

• http://cdn.meme.am/images/300x/5165573.jpg
    cool take Texan girl :) ... but #8 *drools*

• I think Texas could become an independent nation away from USA one day.

• I LOVE THIS AND TEXAS SO MUCH!! TEXAS FOREVER!!!

• Why do people get so proud/angry/heated about their state?
    I live in New York. No, not the city. Upstate.
    It's just about as dandy and normal as Vermont and PA except they tax the living shit out of everything we like.
    Do I love NY? No. Do I hate it? No.
    I grew up here, it's a part of me, but I see no reason to hardcore support my state.

• This was as fine and good, and it's cool that Texas has their own vibe going, and I'm sure they could kick ass in a war, but the only Texans I've met have been so incredibly big for their britches that nobody can stand them, unless they are a red neck from Texas. Not saying that all Texans are red neck or like that, but I'm not impressed.

• If it weren't for TENNESSEE... Texas would still be north Mexico.

Just sayin. ;)

• I would consider moving to Texas!

• Can I say that shoes from Texas are dumb?

• Hahaha it's been so long since I've heard someone say fixin'! Ah I miss it! I've never been to Texas, but my sister's daycare lady when was from there and her vocabulary/ accent rubbed off on my learning-to-speak sister. It was adorable and her daycare lady was a wonderful woman ^_^

• Yea Texas cx xD woo XP

• Yes! Proud Texan Here! Love This Take :)

• I'm from Connecticut
    Should it be a country too?

• She never said it should be a country.

Not to mention Connecticut is not near as big as Texas (in land size and population.) Connecticut would be a tiny country, similar to Luxembourg.

• Could/should
      Who cares

• I've always wanted to go to Texas. Thank you for this take so I can at least I know what to expect if I visit Texas :)

• Hmm.. Never been.

But I've lived in Ohio & Kentucky for most my life and I feel #5 in my soul.

• I've lived in Hamilton, Ohio my entire life, which is 30 miles north of Cincinnati. I have family in Kentucky and I've been to Kentucky hundreds of times.

What cities do you live in?

• Being Texan, this is amazing. Wonderful take!

• More from Girls
    12