If You're Not From Texas, Then You Don't Understand

For those of you who don't know, I'm a very proud Texan. On this myTake I would be explaining some of the things out-of-staters don't understand about being a Texan.

"I'm a Texan first, American second, and it's not Tex-Mex if it's not from Texas!"

1. Texas- it could be our own country

2. Don't Mess with Texas

WARNING: THIS IS NOT A DRILL. We, Texans, take our state pride seriously and won't take your smack talk; just try it if you dare.

3. No, we don't ride horses to school...

or have to wear a cowboy hat to live here. Yes, you will probably have no trouble finding a cowboy, but that does not mean everyone in Texas is one.

4. Football is NOT a sport... it's a LIFESTYLE!

Football is a huge part of the Texan culture. The Dallas Cowboys and the Houston Texans are a big deal here, and of course the biggest rivals in my opinion.

High school football is even crazier. We have the peprallys, and the homecoming mums- every girl in a Texan high school wants to have the biggest and prettiest mum in the entire campus. The bigger, the better.

5. Texas Weather

Texas weather is so bipolar! Rain one day, freezing the day after and melting the next.

6. Guns

Dont' get me wrong Texans are big supporters of second amendment, but not everyone here walks around with a gun in a holster.

7. If it's not from Texas, It's not Tex-Mex

8. Texas Barbecue

You don't know what a barbecue is until you have a Texan BBQ!

9. Not all Tacos are created equal

There's no need to deny it, nothing beats a good fajita or barbacoa street taco!

10. Holiday season also mean tamale season.

11. Every Texan knows who Selena is.

12. Y'all and Fixin' to

We have our own weird vocabulary. In Texas, when you’re getting ready to do something, you’re fixin’ to do it; it's called the State Verb of Texas.

13. We have Whataburger

3251
cl_517 is a GirlsAskGuys Editor
Who are Editors?

Most Helpful Guy

• I feel like anyone can find things about their state to be proud of.. Everyone's sources of pride will be totally different as well. There's no like objective positives that people can agree on nor are they usually exclusive to the state in question. For instance I'll do one!

1) the spirit of Massachusetts is the spirit of America! https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=B_D5wxIJUGI

2) checks and balances started here which all states and the federal government adopted!

3) the American Revolution began here! Have you guys seen the site of the Boston Tea Party or Paul Revere's house? Well I have!

4) first state to start the trend of marriage equality! The domino effect started here! Yay freedom!

5) one of the original 13 colonies represented by the stripes of the American flag! F*** yeah!

6) have you guys been to Plymouth Rock where the pilgrims landed? Well I have!

7) Massachusetts is more pride worthy than any other state in the union and if our history was tweaked a bit there might not be an American Union today! Woohoo! We're the best! Everything's better in Massachusetts!

Lol see? Hahaha

• I want to move to Massachusetts so bad. One day...:') @RedThread

• @vishna yeah it's usually rated like 8-10th most expensive in various cost of living indexes. You really get what you pay for though. We have well funded public schools, MassHealth, and other services.

• I heard from everyone Massachusetts sucks.

It has a nice history but what is there to offer these days?

Most Helpful Girl

• Cool take but not all of those are exclusive to Texas though. Lol :)

#4 This is true for almost every southern state. Football is a way of life for many people, especially in the south. I'm already counting down the days until football season. I mostly watch college football though, I'm a huge Virginia Tech fan but for pro football, I follow the Redskins.
    #5 Virginia is exactly the same. We have bi-polar weather. I remember one week a couple of years ago we had snow, a hurricane, and then at the end of the week it was 80 degrees Fahrenheit. We frequently have weather changes and hot/cold weather within the same week
    #8 We don't even call that "BBQ" we just call that grilling. Lol Here, BBQ is a type of food, not the action of grilling meat. North Carolina has great BBQ though.
    #11 I know who Selena is.
    #12 That's not a Texan thing. Once again, that's just a southern thing. Lol Everyone where I live says "y'all" and "fixin' to" among many other southern sayings.

• First of all, I love your answer! :)
      If it's college football, well I'm all about the Longhorns lol
      Well, the weather is bipolar everywhere :o
      That's how we call them, well except my mother, she calls it a "carnezaso" or "carne asada"
      That is good, not everyone knows who she is & god, I love being a southerner aahha

• hahaha yes, I'm already getting excited. We get season tickets so pretty much every Saturday when there's a home game, I'm at Virginia Tech. Lol

Sponsored

Join the discussion

What Guys Said 50

• Pshaw! #2 - Since Alaska joined the US, they have threatened to split in two and make Texas the third largest state. That stopped a lot of the smack talk.
    #3 - You want to see cowboy, come to Oregon! And Oregon is actually part of the Wild WEST, not a mid America southern state.
    #5 - And speaking of Oregon, the weather you described happening over three days in Texas often happens in less than half a day in Oregon.
    #6 - You downplay the amount of guns worn there, but it seems every Texan wants to tell you how big his gun is!
    #11 - Y'all know who Selena is and are hung up on her. Most of the rest of us don't care.
    #13 - Who cares about Whatabooger?

Now that I have had a little fun at your expense, are you laughing with me? lol :-)

• no, I'm actually mad at you lol

• :-) As I have seen a couple of my favorite people on here say so often... Chin up, Buttercup. :-)

• Of course, no one else in the US likes Texas.

We put Texas a notch or two above North Korea on the likability scale.

• Psh please we Kansans get all that weather in the same week as well, experienced many times before, just a day or two ago we have 4-6 tornadoes appear out of no were around are town all at once.

Y'all, Fixins, Gal, Ladies, etc all common words here

Lol football don't even get me started on the Chiefs we have the most dedicated fanbase of any football ever.

We have some of the most lenient weapon laws in the entire country here, constitutional carry as well as the ability to carry any sort of knife, dirk, dagger or short blade you want to no length restriction either and no one can stop you. I carry around a full length USMC K-Bar.

Kansas barbeque is quite famous, we even have a place here were the motto is we're open till the meat runs dry and pretty much every day there is a line clear outside and they close down just about everyday within a few hours of opening because they've sold everything.

I agree though don't mess with Texas but also don't mess with Kansas either, we make you're bread, about 70-80% of the bread in the entire nation comes from Kansas.

Everything else though yeah that's unique to Texas alone, it is a great state though, I have family down there.

• Go back to Mexico woman haha ;p

• I'm a fellow Texan and have lived in Washington (state) too for a bit. While the weather is significantly cooler and nicer in Washington (minus the constant drizzling that usually occurs), I have to say that I like Texas better in pretty much all other aspects. Stuff is wayyy cheaper, universities are decent, and the people here are (for the most part) friendly. But who knows I may be bias still. haha

In regards to number 12, here is what my professor wrote online before xD
    http://i.imgur.com/RDS7yov.jpg

The only part of Texas that doesn't feel like the Texas written in this take is Austin. It has more of a California vibe to it. I think it is because people in Austin tend to be less Republican and more Democrat and whatnot. From my experience they are mostly all anti-guns / pro-choice / pro-gay marriage and there are a decent amount of vegetarians / very healthy eaters too. It's weird, but I guess that's why they have the saying "Keep Austin Weird."

And I'm Texan... but I don't know who Selena is D:

• I've heard from a lot people that Austin and Houston are nothing like Texas, but it had more to do with the percentage of Blacks that live in those cities.

• Whataburger... I heard that place makes the best burgers in the States... gotta try it one day.
    Nice Take :)

• It is lunch time - All that food made me hungry - Being to Texas three times really enjoyed it - Everything is so big - You could probably fit a hundred Irelands into Texas - I must admit I did buy a cowbay hat - Caught a Texans game - The beers in the car park before hand were great fun - Love the TEX MEX cuisine - I actually knew who Selena was, there was a post about her murder a few weeks back.

• The last time I had to deal with a citizen of the Republic of Texas, I was not done with him until he married a Canadian from British Colombia.
    Yes, I "mess" with Texas, one Texan at a time.

• I couldn't help it but it your take reminded me of this!!!

https://youtu.be/RJ_PwD0gOSo

• 4. Football is also huge here in Ohio. We love our Bengals and Browns, and we also love Ohio State football (except I could care less about college sports.) Football is the most popular sport in the country as a whole but I prefer baseball. The difference between Texas and Ohio, is we could care less about high school football. That means nothing to us. When you said Texas is big on high school football and pep rallys, that reminds me of the movie "Varsity Blues."

5. It's the same way here in Ohio. We'll have hot and sunny weather, then the next day, cool and rainy. We've had days that started out 20 degrees and warm up to 60 degrees. There is literally no way to predict the weather here. I'm surprised Texas is like this. From what I've heard, the weather is too predictable in that state.

13. I've never been there (since I've never been to Texas) but I heard that's the best restaurant for burgers. I'd love to try it.

• Texas fucking sucks! I would vote for it being its own independent country. Literally the worst place I've ever been too and I've been to New York, South Carolina, and Mississippi!! My brother has done 2 tours to iraq and 3 tours to afganistan, and he says texas is the worst place he's ever been too. Shitty state...

• When I visit America, I would love to see Texas (just not watching American football. As a South African, we don't get that sport)

• #8 this

guess it'd be a nice xperience

but #5... sucks :(

• You're right, Texas could be it's own broke ass, boring, flat country, but all of those programs you like to flaunt like NASA Mission Control are FEDERAL programs, meaning you wouldn't get to keep it. What a load of crap.

• We'd never be broke--our budget it actually one of the more balanced budgets in the entire union. And we do it without the oh-so popular 7-9% sales tax that most states impose.

• Seriously, they do that just to show off but no could give a rats experimental a$$ about the little sh1t they have to offer people get serious mistreated here... If you are married to a military guy and he decides to beat on you they will put you in jail, instead of him... "Backwards"

• Also don't forget creationism taught in science classes lol

• Creationism should be renamed: "Texan science" ;)

• Correct me if I'm wrong but it's against federal law to implement religion in public schools.

• @CincinnatiRedsfan Yes it is but let's be real the south is not big on respecting federal law of separation of church and state lol.

• I love Texas with all my heart, but as far as weather goes. Most states in the southeast are much more bipoler. Texas heat was at least dry, and not a million% humidity like florida and south carolina. You can't compare the cold in Texas to that of wisconsin.

• If the USA are so bad for Texans, what stops Texas from returning to Mexico?

• Texas forever!!!

• The "weather in Texas" pic could just as easily apply to Michigan. Our weather is also pretty bipolar.

• It's not nature... Look up about "how the military can control weather patterns" they were suppose to stop but they love to play.
      With people's lives mainly in their own country now. But at least they aren't hitting odd places in Texas with super weird weather , or are they?

• I don't understand how Texas could have bi-polar weather. From the research I've done AND from what I've heard, the weather is extremely predictable in Texas. This girl I knew from Houston told me it was hot, dry and sunny about 90 percent of the days she lived there.

Now, OHIO is bi-polar. We live in the same region and I agree, it's ridiculous.

• Lake Erie and the Ohio River will do that to you. Plus, Ohio is just close enough to Michigan to feel the effects coming down.

• I never quite understood why Texas, Californians, and New Yorkers were so overly proud of their states. I mean it's where you were born, I get it but I spent the past 4 years and Texas and nothing there really struck me as overly unique or lifechanging. I'm from Florida and while it is my home state I don't particularly see it as the best place ever. I do like it better than than Texas though. (btw we have whataburger in Florida too)

• More from Guys
    30

What Girls Said 31

• The only part of Texas I saw was when I went to San Antonio. The weather doesn't seem any different from other southern states. I went there the day after Christmas. Which like Georgia it wasn't cold and still warm. Which sucks since that means tornado's will happen. About 2-3 years ago we had a tornado happen the day before Christmas. Plus the weather seems to be bipolar as well.

Only ones on the list that are different from the rest is #11 and #13.

Though the cracker barrel we went in to in Texas had crappy food. That was the only bad part of it.

• I've lived in Texas for all but 2 years of my life. It really does feel like sometimes we are a country unto ourselves because you can drive for like 14 hours and still be in Texas. The first time I went to Maryland as a kid and happened to go through like 4 states in an hour, it was like a shock to my system that this could actually be done. 90% of my road trips are spent just trying to get out of TX. Unfortunately most people think we're still a bunch of hillbilly racist idiots. I went to a wedding in Montana and the bride's aunt asked us (starting with, no offense but), are you gun toting Republicans. I've never owned a gun in my life nor do I hunt, not a Republican, and in my city at least, we have a gay mayor and our theater district and number of fortune 500 companies are second only to New York. Assumptions can of course be true about any group of people from time to time, but it's really annoying when you sort of have to defend your state ALL the time. Thankfully though, there are tons of great people here, the food is amazing, and we have a good time. Yea Texas!

• Sign me up for Texans Bbq!! *drooling* and oh gosh I need to try Whataburger 😍 heard my friend said they make the best burger in the states!

• ahha okay!! and yes i love whataburger!!

• yes please :)

• Texas BBQ is good. I'm more of a Kansas City style or Carolina style or Georgia style fan.
      But hey, forth place isn't bad.
      Here's a ribbon for participation.

• 5 is sooo SC too.
    And haha, the dialect you listed is similar to SC.

I would never want to live in Texas or visit Texas. But, yeah.

I love how you're so proud of your state you made a MyTake on it. You make Texas proud.

• http://cdn.meme.am/images/300x/5165573.jpg
    cool take Texan girl :) ... but #8 *drools*

• *i used to live in texas as a kid. i'd love to come back if only to visit whataburger to see how it rivals with in-n-out.
    *even though i've been an out-of-stater for a long time, i still say y'all, haha

• I'm gonna drag my mom to Whataburger the Friday we go down there because I meant to try it last year but never got around to it.

Also very jealous I'm not residing in Texas, so, this mytake makes me sad. 😭

• lol, this is hilarious, I love the " Y'all and Fixin' to" part.

• ahah thanks :)

• It's so funny because I say that all of the time too and I forget how it sounds to other people lol

• One of my celebrity crushes lives in Texas. LOL! I nearly travelled to Houston just to try and meet him.

• I would consider moving to Texas!

• Well I live in oklahoma most of my family is in Dallas. I like Texas. :)

• Some of just goes with being from the South. I have heard 1 and 2. The football thing goes with just being from the South, I live in Alabama. Our weather here is also bipolar. 12 is not Texas vocabulary people say y'all and fixin to in other parts if the South. Memphis has some really good barbecue too.

• That weather applies to Louisiana also but lately its just been hot. Fall and winter are when we really get all 4 seasons lol. I agree with the barbeque I have fam in Texas and I love the barbeque they will be out her for a family reunion soon and I can taste the food already.

• Hahaha so cool i didn't know u were Texan. Again, Im not able to hear ur accent.
    U seem a very friendly state. However, sometimes a bit conservative, if I am not wrong?

Nice that I got to know this about u!

Now I kind of am wishing to visit Texas. Well and all of America too! haven't been to the US yet.

• Stay were you are for you and your family safety please " Unsuspecting human as well as other species government experiments happen here, they don't tell you, you just become a target. Look up "mind control on America subjects" and "microwave/radiation experiments used on human beings."

• Hahaha it's been so long since I've heard someone say fixin'! Ah I miss it! I've never been to Texas, but my sister's daycare lady when was from there and her vocabulary/ accent rubbed off on my learning-to-speak sister. It was adorable and her daycare lady was a wonderful woman ^_^

• Why do people get so proud/angry/heated about their state?
    I live in New York. No, not the city. Upstate.
    It's just about as dandy and normal as Vermont and PA except they tax the living shit out of everything we like.
    Do I love NY? No. Do I hate it? No.
    I grew up here, it's a part of me, but I see no reason to hardcore support my state.

• If it weren't for TENNESSEE... Texas would still be north Mexico.

Just sayin. ;)

• This was as fine and good, and it's cool that Texas has their own vibe going, and I'm sure they could kick ass in a war, but the only Texans I've met have been so incredibly big for their britches that nobody can stand them, unless they are a red neck from Texas. Not saying that all Texans are red neck or like that, but I'm not impressed.

• Can I say that shoes from Texas are dumb?

• More from Girls
    11