An explanation for the rise of awesome US TV shows

An explanation for the rise of awesome US TV shows.

I just want to share this knowledge with anyone who is cool enough to read this.

I read about this a while ago, but have you noticed how the quality of US tv shows have been steadily rising over the last few years? Probably since 2008. And how people seems more obsessed with tv shows than they are with movies? .

Well, there is a good explanation for that.

You see, 2008 was also the year that Iron Man came into being, and since then Hollywood has realized that superhero movies, and also any franchise which isn't original, such as movies that was based on a comic, a novel, a sequel of a successful movie, or an animated movie, anything of that sort is a proven money maker.

Moreover, Hollywood is totally dependant on overseas market nowadays, so instead of spending money to promote a completely new and unknown movie to the world, it is much better to leech onto a franchise or a brand or a book which is already universally recognized, such as Batman or Jurrasic Park.

Jurassic World, Avengers: Age of Ultron, Furious 7, Minions, Fifty Shades of Grey, Ant-Man, Harry Potter, Hunger Games, Twilight, and whatnot.

These are just some of the top 15 highest grossing movies of 2015. And the perfect examples to prove my point.

Hollywood is right! These things make big money.

Unfortunately these things don't have much quality.

Basically no Hollywood executive has to balls to invest in an unknown, original movie like they used to. They have too much greed and no balls to take that risk.

And so, those writers and directors who still have that spirit to create something cool and original and exciting have now resorted to the playground that is the US television.

And ahmen to that, I say.

I haven't been to the cinema for a few years now anyway.

Join the discussion

0/2500

Submit

What Girls Said 2

• I guess I need to expand my TV watching because some of the shows on TV all have the same ingredients. Sex, sex, scandal, adultery, murder, sex, and more sex. I feel the writers have an original idea at first and the longer the show goes on they resort to the same formula as every other show. I prefer mini series now.

• yes, and the music has been getting much better too!

What Guys Said 5

• You should watch Guardians of the Galaxy or The Lego Movie. :)

• would you believe it, I AM watching Guardians of the Galaxy RIGHT. NOW, before you even told me to.

• Wow! Hope you enjoy. :)

• I must say when it came out I thought it was a lame "leecher" onto all the Iron Man and Thor movies and those characters on the posters all look so UGLY and it was just a poor attempt from the studios trying to make more money. But it seems I have heard nothing but fanatic praise for this movie so I am looking forward to watching it to the end, I am only 15 minutes in right now.

• You're wrong about the highest grossing movies list. This is the real, inflation-adjusted list of the top 10 highest grossing movies:
    1 Gone with the Wind $3,440,000,000 1939
    2 Avatar $3,020,000,000 2009
    3 Star Wars $2,825,000,000 1977
    4 Titanic T$2,516,000,000 1997
    5 The Sound of Music $2,366,000,000 1965
    6 E. T. the Extra-Terrestrial $2,310,000,000 1982
    7 The Ten Commandments $2,187,000,000 1956
    8 Doctor Zhivago $2,073,000,000 1965
    9 Jaws $2,027,000,000 1975
    10 Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs

• you are absolutely right, but not many can see or even care about inflation-adjusted gross, which is in fact the best indicator of the quality and popularity of a movie, but all those movies were made in the pre-internet era, except Avatar, which come to think about it is probably THE movie that made the world accept CG movies as a legit form of movie, and helped the explosion of the superhero movies which wouldn't have been possible without CG.

• I credit it to Netflix originals.

• A desire to make a profit doesn't equate to greed, necessarily. They're not a non-profit organization. They're in it to make money so they can feed their families.

• I think that's a good explanation.

Where is that photo from?

• i think it's from a show called "Humans", which I haven't watched, because I am watching a show called "Mr. Robot", which is epic! Especially if you belong to my generation.