Why You Should Read More

Why You Should Read More

Reading is beneficial on so many levels that it’s hard to write a simple myTake about it. If you are one of these people who considers themselves a bookslut, then you can just go ahead and read my last question in this Take.

If you hate reading, find it boring, and tell yourself that you just don’t have the time, could it be that you just haven’t found the right material that has grabbed you? Perhaps when we were younger, being forced to write book reports in school on books we wouldn’t have otherwise cared to read, it might have left some people resenting reading altogether.

Finding your favourite books are no different than knowing what kind of movies you like. You simply get to know an author that writes in a way you can enjoy, or find a genre that appeals to you. Though it takes a bit more effort to read a book than watch a TV show or movie based on a book – the imagination that you create is second to none of whatever the creativity can be found in film because it’s your brain doing all of the cinematics.

Reading definitely exercises your brain as it dumps more information to enclose. If reading a novel doesn’t excite you, try books about where your interests lie personally. If you are having trouble dealing with a breakup, this is a great way to make sense of why you feel the way you do. Simply try the self-help section to find out how to cope. If you are experiencing depression, loss in the family, fear getting older, or anything that you want to find out more about what makes you tick – your understanding through books turns on a light for you.

The beauty about reading is once you start, often times it can become a pleasant habit. Reading before sleep has always been known to help tire your eyes naturally rather than staring at a bright, backlit tablet scrolling through your Facebook feed.

Those who read are also interesting. If you’re ever in a coffee shop or on the bus and notice someone reading, usually they have all the confidence to shut out the world and enjoy their book. Reading is a conversation-starter, and asking someone what they’re reading will give you an opportunity to talk. Plus…readers take pride in what read, often recommending books that they love.

To those who hate reading, I guess my question to you is: why? To those who love reading, and are on the same page as me, so to speak, then my question to you is: what are you reading now?

Ozanne is a GirlsAskGuys Editor
Who are Editors?

Join the discussion

0/2500

Submit

What Guys Said 12

• Someone should do a take on how pathetic it makes u look when u share random takes every once in a while and hope that they r gonna get featured.

• lol like that term "bookslut"

• I hate reading because I don't have the patience for it. Some words I don't understand which frustrates me and ruins the entire experience for me, I also can't pay attention long enough and it makes me lose my temper.

I used to read all the time as a kid, loved it, but it all changed as I grew older. Reasons are personal, so I'm not going to get into them.

TL;DR I don't like reading because it makes me feel stupid.

• As a teen the first English book I selected on my own to read was a harry potter book, and I couldn't understand half of the words... the book had a difficult vocabulary and I was still learning English. My love of reading made me want to make sense of it. I think it was a good thing to look up some words because I expanded my knowledge while reading stuff I love. i don't think it made me stupid, it made my English better

• I'm reading Tolstoy's Anna Karenina and Charles Bukowski's Love is a Dog from Hell, though that's a poem anthology. The last book I finished was a re-read of Douglas Adams' the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, and the last book I loved was Céline's Journey to the End of the Night

As a side note that's a crappy image to depict reading considering the focus is made on her breasts and not the book.

• I like reading but I feel like to really learn something I have to hear and visualize it.

• People might hate me for saying this but Harry Potter got me interested in books.

• Whatever it takes. **trying not to cringe*** **then smiles***

• I ve always been reading greek books but harry potter made me interested on reading English books. And the vocabulary on the last books of the series is difficult

• i don't see the point in it.

• Anything Robin Hobb. Been reading her books for best part of 15 years (I'm a slow reader). Great fantasy themes infused with the weird and wonderful world of magic ( typically not physical magic but in the mind).

• The old man and the sea next will be 1984

• Papertowns, my friend alison recomended it. Was reading Game of Thrones before that one though.

• Reading a regular novel, especially fine print, hurt my eyes and make me feel sick so I avoid reading them. I do need reading glasses but I'm not going to buy any. I do enjoy reading graphic novels. Which are basically novels in comic book format. To me, it feels more natural. When reading it, it feels a lot closer to a normal conversation than what you get from a novel. Since the novel has to explain everything in detail while a graphic novel shows you everything and you just read the dialogue. I also like reading the great illustrated classics.

I think I enjoy reading blogs and things like that more than I do regular old school novels..

• At the moment I'm reading Go Set a Watchman. I only just started it. I used to hate reading when I was really young (elementary schools didn't really have any boy friendly books growing up if that makes sense) but now I love to read. If I find a book that is interesting I can end up looking at the clock read for what feels like a few minutes then look at the clock again and it's four hours later.

What Girls Said 14

• I rarely read but I know the benefits. I actually write on Wattpad. I prefer to write than read. I know reading would improve my writing but I've just not found a book that pulls me in apart from the Ingo series.

• I'm a bookslut and a blogho, very intruiged by the artful placement of words and how it opens the imagination, broadening the mind. There is nothing like sitting under a shady tree holding a book with both hands, entralled by the purity.

• I used to read but I haven't been reading any books lately

• I just bought the valcyries by paolo coelho, I 've only read the first 2 pages though because at the same time I m reading some books for a university paper

• I just started reading The Remains of the Day by Kazuo Ishiguro right after finishing Ride The Wind by Lucia St. Clair. I just started The Remains of the Day because I keep hearing so much about this novel that intrigued me.

• I read because my mom told me it would expand my vocabulary when I was a kid

• Great Take! I've always enjoyed reading. I agree with you, I think once someone finds a genre or topic they are really interested in, they might be more inclined to read about it. It might take a few books to see which writing style appeals to someone.

I am currently reading "The Lady in the Tower: The Fall of Anne Boleyn" by Alison Weir. It's interesting so far.

• Harry Potter... is life

• I'm reading " The Jungle" by Upton Sinclair

• Even though there were some books whose story I found gripping, they didn't make me want to read more of the story. I read because I had to, for a book report. I couldn't wait to put the book down and move to something more exciting. The problem is my lack of imagination. I can't create a world in my head, I need an image of it, otherwise I can't enjoy the story. Books do not help me relax, they only frustrate me.

• i am such a bookworm its probably not normal. on second thought take out probably it is most definitely not normal especially when my parents told me they're just books and i lost it. Because as a kid, i didn't have a lot of friends but i had books. i have fought alongside harry potter in defeating lord Voldemort, sailed a raft down the Mississippi river with Huck and Jim, been a victor in the hunger games, and went to Amsterdam with Gus and Hazel Grace. And had role models like Hermione Granger, Ginny Weasley, Amelia Earhart, and Malala. I am currently trying to get a hold of fahrenheit 451.

meetville.com/.../...t-Meetville-Quotes-130316.jpg
    s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/.../...2dda7c9eed.jpg

• But.. but I don't like reading! D: Ugh, I'll try :/

• Reading is possibly one of the best ways to simply escape the everyday world. I'm such a bookworm it's not even normal. I go to the library, buy books and also read on wattpad. At the moment I'm reading 'Beautiful Disaster' and oh my is it beautiful ^_^

• So So true. I can't imagine the world without books!