Hallelujah, I'm Black!

Hallelujah, I'm Black!

It's been a rough forever for the black race. Started from the bottom, and now we're here...somewhere society says is still at the bottom. No matter how many of us get educations or pay taxes or contribute to society or become presidents of the United States, there are some people out there that for no other reason aside from our skin color, seek to put us down and make us feel bad about who we are. Forget all that! There will always be haters, racists, and people with literally no lives that seek to put others down, but if you know who you are and why you're so freaking awesome in the first place, then they simply cease to matter. This take is about celebrating the fun of being a part of the blackness and no, I don't need to spend a single breath justifying why or how I should be "allowed" to write this.

1. Our Music Gets Everyone Turn'd Up! No one is having the best time ever at a party with cello music playing. Let's be real about that. If you want a party to end all parties, a fair portion of your music is typically by black artists. Michael Jackson, Beyonce, Rihanna, Snoop, Marvin Gaye, Boyz II Men, Chris Brown, Jason Darulo...whomever throughout the decades. These songs are everyone's jams and what gets turned up the most and played the loudest and longest. Our music is so good, that it is well documented that throughout our history it has been stolen and distilled into white culture with white faces to white audiences who had no clue the music they were listening to actually had either roots in or was stolen from black artists.

2. Our Hair Game is Amazing! There are very few other races collectively who can do as much with their hair. We can braid, fade, twist, relax, curl (both Jheri and regular), afro, weave, bun it, shave it, wave it, color it, cornrow it, bead it, spiral it, shave designs into it, lock it, and the list goes on. Many of us have strong cultural ties to mom's kitchen or the barber shop as well which provided blacks with a place to freely congress, talk about politics, life, the struggle, and to tackle those "kitchens." Women especially have many collective memories of getting our hair done and what all that entailed that just about everyone can relate to.

3. We're going to show you how its done on the dance floor! Every year since that first drum beat from the motherland we've been dancing and dancing well. Our culture releases the latest dance craze every year and not only that, we know how to dance alone and colletively as a group in various line dances. There aren't really classes for it either, we just learn the dances and then bust them out to the music that gets everyone turn'd up. Let them play "Step in the name of love," or "Just like candy" at a black wedding. The Borg have nothing on us in our collective ability to dance.

4. Who makes you laugh? Richard Pryor, Chris Rock, Dave Chapelle, Kevin Hart, Red Foxx, Eddie Murphy, Whoopi Goldberg, Martin Lawrence, Jamie Foxx, Sommore, Will Smith, Kat Williams, Steve Harvey, Sinbad, Arsenio Hall, Monique, Wanda Sykes, the Wayans family, Nipsey Russel, Bruce Bruce, and Cedric the Entertainer. Comedy has long ago broken color lines and gotten people of all races to relate to one another over laughter and these folks are as hillarious as they are well known.

5. Fried Chicken and all the rest. I said it, damn it, and what are you going to do about it? Unless you're a vegan or on a diet, you like fried chicken. Once used as a means to help us survive during slave times by frying up the scraps that we were thrown, we turned scraps into gold by creating soul food which has sustained us and continues to be a strong part of our culture. To deny it is to deny what helped at one point, to give us life. Its not just soul food, its island food, its the BBQ's and the gumbos, and yes, the fried chickens and waffles that are good as hell! We don't know bland in the kitchen. It's got to be well seasoned and delicious.

6. Who's Got Game? I have never been picked last in gym class, that's for sure. There was a time in this country where we were told we couldn't play and that we weren't good enough and now look at the higest grossing athletes in basketball, football, and even tennis. We're freaking good at sports, what can I say.

7. We appreciate great booties. Do I even have to say it...sigh..long before a Kardashian was a thing, we've always celebrated our own unique human form. Not known for being rail thin or having the typical European frame or facial features that were for so long associated as the only standard of beauty, we've always loved our own. We appreciate the curves we were born with, that we were told aren't beautiful. As a result of this love, I think as a whole we suffer far less from things like eating disorders because our body types are more accepted by our own culture. Oh and can we pause to just look at Michelle Obama here. This is our first lady...in body hugging Vera Wang...side swept hair...killing it at the State Dinner. I mean, come on!

8. We've had to survive, but what doesn't kill us makes us stronger. I think there are very few cultures that have been persecuted more and for as long and on a global level, as African Americans. When we say the struggle is real, we mean it. For the longest the fight was slavery and ever since, we've been fighting racism and for equality. To this day, we still are just barely becomming "the firsts" in a lot of fields, but it makes you strong. It makes you a fighter. It builds that hunger in you to fight for equality and to prove beyond a shadow of a doubt that we can do it. There is such a beauty in striving for that when other people don't have to break through some glass ceiling to even be seen and recognized for the same talents and skills as others.

I love being black and we should keep celebrating our blackness and who we are and where we've come from. I love us. We're unique, we've got style and flavor, we're strong fighters, and we're going places. When you celebrate yourself, you recognize that pride and you spread that to others. No black person should ever feel ashamed of being black in this country or any where else.

Join the discussion

0/2500

Submit

What Guys Said 15

• Don't know what to say about this!!

• As a black American, I can definitely attest to how you feel!

I feel that black people around the world need to embrace their uniqueness (especially the hair and implicit communication style), instead of conforming to mainstream so much (yes I'm talking about using harsh chemicals to straighten your hair).

Of course in America some form of assimilation in the workforce is required because America is a melting pot, but outside of there black people shouldn't feel so pressured to shed the culture of their parents, grandparents and further ancestors.

• I went natural a few years ago, and it was amazing to celebrate my own hair. I don't think there is another race that is told that we should, and I'm quoting the boss I once had, "do something with my hair, like, you know, straighten in so it looks nice." Well, that didn't happen, because my hair looks nice just the way it is, styled in its natural state without the use of harsh chemicals. We're unique, we stand out. Our hair, are skin color, ourselves. That's nothing to be ashamed of, and there is nothing wrong with you or I or anyone else celebrating who they are. You don't have to suppress another group to do that!

• hmm, does this take work with Asian people too? 😂

• if you want it to or believe it does.

• I know you're not going to love this post but honesty is all I know.
    #8 is about the only thing I think we can really take great pride in...
    Our food is great... so is Italian food.
    Our music is great... so is classical, classic rock, and other genres dominated by non-black people
    We appreciate great booties... really? I don't see the hallelujah moment
    hair game amazing... that's rather subjective and some (many) might disagree
    athleticism... it's great that black people have had such success in sports but our pride should extend significantly further

It's great to be prideful but I hope as a race we'd take pride in the true achievements we've made (not hair or butts) and the ways in which we've overcome adversity. You mentioned education, jobs, socio-economic climbing I'd like to ad scientific and political achievements as things we should take the greatest pride in. As well as our resilience

• I usually think racial pride is gross and leads to self agrandizing but i agree. 8 is something to take pride in.

All the other stuff is kinda iffy. i just cringe when i see people talking about how awesome their race is.

• Ok... good for you...

• Not sure why you're anonymous
    I don't think racists and bigots ally cease to matter, ever, but you can live in ignorant bliss, at timea
    pretty disappointed at the mention of Jason darulo
    And you didn't explain what exactly a kitchen has to do with hair,

But apart from that, you killed it. Very decent take.

PS, please keep your amazing dancing to the dance floor, twerking is annoying AF

• For you and the 500 other yous that have asked about anonymity... who cares. Even if I told you my first, middle, and last name, you wouldn't know me from the person next door. Is your real name Fortres? Is that non descriptive man on the mountain top in your profile picture, you? Is my or your opinion any more or less valid b/c you don't know me and I don't know you? Anyway, I don't really understand your second sentence there... too many errors... but the rest, yeah, okay.

• Hah, I don't give a shit who you are, 30-35 year old. I just feel you shouldwalk the walk if yyou're gonna talk the talk. Your post states "I live being (who I am)" while your username states otherwise.

Yeah, lots of errors, this keyboard is sheit

• For someone who doesn't care, why did you bring it up? I can be happy with who I am without you... random Fortres person, knowing my name. You knowing my name does not equal me having pride in myself. That's not how pride or "self-esteem" works. I felt the way I feel now long before I even wrote this, so clearly it makes no difference. That's something that happens internally for each person. Anyway, there is no point in continuing to talk about something that doesn't even matter.

• In my experience, shame is the last emotion black people ever feel. If anything y'all have way too much self-confidence for your own good #KanyeWest

• im mixed lol

• I like the take because it focused on what made blacks great, and not trying to put others down.
    Good job.

• *stands up* Applause.

• need to hear it. We needed to hear it in the 60's with Black pride and empowerment, and we still need to hear it. I make no apologies for this take, and I'm glad you understand where I'm coming from. There have been a lot of positive responses from a few white people too, who get that this isn't about trying to put them down. Why would I do that and then expect that I should garner respect from those that have given me no grief in life? I'm not bitter towards anyone that hasn't done anything to me, but on the same token, I want that little girl or boy growing up behind me to love their skin, their natural hair, their opportunities in life that we are now afforded thanks to generations before us. My parents taught me black pride, they taught me to work harder then everyone else, they taught me to pay it forward, and I do, and I will continue to do so. (Steps off podium).

• Hmmm ! I've said all I had to say.

• Music wasn't stolen by white culture, or better european American culture, i mean look at jazz, why you gotta say it like that

• I did not say music was stolen, I said music specific to our culture was often stolen. This isn't something I made up to make myself feel better, please review the historical information on that especially in regards to Motown sound.

• @GreatnessPersonified look more at jazz

• "This isn't something I made up to make myself feel better" : of course it is !

• Great take. I find it strange that people would see this as a bad thing, especially when most of these people talk about celebrating diversity - how are we supposed to celebrate diversity if we're all supposed to be the same and not to take pride in what makes us different? It makes no sense. Nobody should be ashamed of who they are and where they come from.

• Thanks, I couldn't have said it better myself! I think those people you speak of are under the impression that to celebrate oneself, means to put down others. I'm happy I'm black. I can't be happy I'm Hispanic or White or Asian, because I'm not those things and that wouldn't make any sense (I'm looking at you Rachel Dolezal!). We should celebrate ourselves, and spread the knowledge of our race and culture with others and accept the spreading of their knowledge to us. That's how we become better human beings, not simply pretending like we don't notice our differences which of course we all do.

• I know, it's ridiculous. I'm a proud white man and I don't find this offensive at all or feel like it's putting me down. I see people all the time say that acknowledging these differences causes conflict but why should it? The reason we travel to other countries is usually because we find their cultures interesting because they're different from ours. I see people say that the world would be better off if we all marge into one, I think that would be very sad and boring.

• I actually saw a GaG question asking would you rather that the planet be filled with just your race, or the way we have it now, and people were legit upset that the world would completely suck with just one race as opposed to the many in the comments, suggesting that there is great value in our differences. World travelers, like you suggest, know this as fact, and those that have a variety of friends, know this as fact or those that simply understand that we don't need to be the same to get along. It's only those that look for things to pick apart and put down and divide, that think that we need sameness. Thanks for the comments.

• I'm not really a fan of racial pride, but I like that this is a slap in the face to the people who always look at the negatives of our race.

• Thanks for your comments. I just feel like, why can't I be happy with being black or celebrating black people? Every other comment section I read on the web, even topics having nothing to do with race, are filled with racial negativity and downright racism. Turn on the news, more on how horrible we all are supposedly and couple that with recent events, its just been hard for a lot of us to feel good about ourselves and to know that we are somebody and we are good people. I don't have to let and I don't need someone else to define who I am. I know who that is, and I'm happy to represent some of that whether you or anyone disagrees or agrees.

• More of cultural pride

• Hallelujah, I'm Caucasian!!
    White pride 4 LIFE!!

• Fool, this is where the stereotypes come from! By doing that Christian chant people are going to continue to have the mindset that all African Americans are Christians when it is NOT true. Watch your words, mortal.

• you are literally the only one who has brought that up. And who cares what other people think--hence the point of this. People are going to say what they want even if they know the truth.

• It still gets extremely annoying when everyone makes assumptions. Since you clearly cannot comprehend what I am saying, I shall simplify it. I am saying that I do not care what others think, but it bothers me when people come up to me and have try to have religious conversations with me.

• What's there to comprehend? You keep trying to put me down and insult me personally when I have done nothing of the sort to you. You want to corner all Christians into one category while simultaneously claiming that one group aren't all this one thing, yet you pigeon hole an entire other group as being this one thing. You think the world revolves around you and your issues with Christianity for some reason and even tried to place blame on me for your own problems which is laughable. Those people you talk of coming up to you came up to you and bothered you LONG before I ever wrote this and I'm almost 100% sure they didn't read this take. And guess what, they will continue to come up to you and everyone else they want to talk to because they have the free will to do so. I have no more time for someone who wants to just hear themselves talk and insult others for no reason.

• I would say great take overall except its cyually the jews who has had it the worst. They were held as slaves by many arabics. Many countries kicked them out while stealing their money and properties. A couple of guys even tried to exterminate them. So its acyually the jewws who had it worse.

• That's a religion and not a race though. So her point still stands.

• Not as ridiculous as your Take.

What Girls Said 11

• Nice 👏👏👏👏

• Awesome sauce!!! 😄

• I have never understood why people put down blacks, especially women in terms of looks. I personally feel some black women and men are much more attractive than whites. I am not putting down the caucasian people as I believe there is beauty in every race but the whole concept of "You are unattractive because you are black" is pathetic and stupid. Also blacks are very good in sports!
    P. S : I am a Pakistani!

• 2|1
  • Great Take😁

• If you post something like this white people will assume you are bashing them lmao
    Sad but true

• Some will, and some won't. I still wrote it and posted it and make no apologies for expressing pride in myself or my people. None of this is putting anyone else down and if it applies to another race too, then I'm happy for them. There is far too much negativity in the world--just over here enjoying being positive and spreading the message to love and appreciate who you are.

• This website is really messed up sometimesto block people

• I love this! I love being black, did you know tha the first women on earth were African? Like, through evolution of humans (as seen in this awesome documentary called the Journey of Man on youtube by an award winning geneologist) depending on what climate the pieces of pangea broke up in (northern wester etc) peoples skin tones changed to acomadate them and mutated (losing skin pigmentation, and what makses our hair curly, shrinking of body parts, becoming more 'frail') and all tpes of things happened. This won't be taught in school, but anyone who studies geneology is aware of this fact, and the invention o f guns was to sort of get around this and what is savage and not savage to help some cultures survive... racism too, to you known get the resources of cultures in better climates with more food?

They won't tell you that in school, and I would dive deeper as to why you are proud to be black... there's more that you haven't mentioned ;) YAAAAAYYYY

• If that can make you feel better good for you !

• No need to feel better, I feel fantastic /;) but thanks for adding your two cents anyway

• <3 Viva Africa and truly African descented peoples and melanated ageless skin <3 <3 <3 We sort of are the fountain of youth

• lol I love this, it's cute :)

• Please don't divide yourself. It's the division that creates chaos

• For a long time in this country black people have been told they were nothing, and some still are. Sometimes you need to celebrate yourself and remind yourself how wonderful you are. Its no different then when a bully tells you, you're ugly, and you say, forget that, I'm not ugly, I am beautiful. When you have pride in yourself, you begin to build up your self esteem and begin to know you can deflect the haters because you know who you are. I don't think I'm better than others, I just happen to love me and my people too. It would be wholly unfair to say you couldn't or shouldn't be allowed to do that as I know every race on this earth celebrates themselves in some way.

• "When you have pride in yourself" : that's your problem @myTake Owner : too much pride in yourself !

• @myTake owner : "I don't think I'm better than others" : of course you do ! Your take is all about that fact !

• If you have to say "Hallelujah I'm Black" either you have a real inferiority complex issue, or you have such a very big ego. Like many Black people you feel inferior somewhere, compared to other people. And because you have that enormous ego, you can't stand that situation. You have to prove to yourself and to the rest of the world that you are superior by listing seven futile reasons that has never helped anybody anywhere and one last reason that applies to everybody everywhere. I have nerver been ashamed of being Black... until now.

• You feel ashamed of who you are. Work on that.

• You are the one that should work on something. Boasting and trying to feel superior to other people won't help you. It will instead reinforce your insecurities. You have to be very self conscious when you compare to other ethnicities to write such a thing. It won't surprise me that you are even jealous or a hater.

• Silence troll.

• Amazing mytake! 🏆😆