There is no such thing as the Dad bod!

When I first heard this term I couldn't believe it! "Dad bod?"

When will people start taking responsibility for neglecting their own bodies instead of coming up with a term that is "supposed to be widely accepted" or seen as the new trend in modern times?

The "Dad bod" cannot be compared to the "Mom bod". It's well known that women go through tremendeous physical changes during pregnancy.

After a woman delivers her baby she is very fortunate if she maintains the same physique as before. Some women get back to their pre-pregnancy bodies with little or no changes. But there many others who are left with tons of stretchmarks, deflated boobs, and loose/wrinkled skin.

Getting back to this woman's original weight is not the problem. The signs of pregnancy has marked its territory forever.

There is no such thing as the Dad bod!

The people with the Dad bod are pretty much men who let the pounds pack on over the years.

Moms who dropped the weight and are left with permanent changes, had no choice in the body they have but the men do!

No matter how you acquired that bod of yours acknowledge the truth in how you got it.

If you are contented with your appearance, then continue loving every inch of your flesh!

Whose to say it isn't worthy or beautiful ?

Let the hate begin.

The truth has spoken.

Stacyzee is a GirlsAskGuys Editor
Who are Editors?

Join the discussion

0/2500

Submit

What Guys Said 23

• Don't be content with yourself. Strive to improve from the inside-out. Your body, your personality, your weaknesses, your character and attributes, your intelligence and social awareness, and so on.

Being content, giving up, not prioritizing self-improvement just seems like an awful way to live.

• I agree with this 100%. Neither women or men should get fat to the point of no recovery. Better make the best of it while you are still young.

• whats stupider, and more despicable, is the girls who like dad bod... like wth!!!

• I don't know who said they were the same thing, as it seems obvious they are not. Of course men put on weight or get a little rounder as they age. Our affluent society allows people to pay the bills working at jobs that are physically undemanding, and sedentary lifestyles are more common than ever. And of course guys that have moved past the hunting mode they were in when they were focused on attracting a woman will smooth out somewhat. Yes these are all lifestyle choices, but people tend to go along with the norm, and this is now the norm. So if guys want to say they have "dad bod", and not be ashamed of it, nothing's wrong with that in my opinion. These factors are all contributors to the overall "mom bod" by the way. It's just that guys don't generally get the stretch marks, and obviously don't get the "pooch" from a stretched out uterus.

• It's a "Dad bod" because you get so busy working and running kids around that staying in shape is no longer a priority. Plus you already have a woman who is kind of stuck with you by mutual obligation to take care of kids so you don't have to look hot to get laid.

• Why is it called a dad bod though? When you can acquire that body in early life as a kid? I think the name itself makes no sense.

• I disagree. I've seen plenty of out of shape guys before the age 20 with similar bodies. Why do you think in America they are cutting out certain drink sizes in fast food restaurants (XL) ? Why do you think in public schools they are giving the kids healthier options now? Obesity is a problem. Americans have far too much available. To say most people are fit before they become a dad is inaccurate.
      The term itself isn't only suiting for a Dad which is why i feel it is irrelevant.

Hiv is a whole different story and off topic.

• Look at a bunch of guys who are 20. Look at a bunch of guys who are 40. Compare the AVERAGE physique in each group.

There are people who have a "beer belly" who never drink beer.

• Didn't know guys had a female equivalent to the lie, "curvy."

• I personally think the pregnancy thing is an excuse to get away with no longer looking as fit as you were before you had your baby. You claim men have a choice in the body's they but women don't. Yes they do. I understand pregnancy is hard but there are plenty of women out there who go to the gym and work hard so they can maintain the bodies they had pre-pregnancy.

• A woman's body rarely ever is the way it was pre-pregnancy after she has given birth. Assuming we are speaking about a woman who got back down to her average height. I am speaking about things that cannot be erased such as stretch marks , and loose (excess) abdominal skin (as shown in the first pic of the girl). That's something no amount of exercise or cream can ever fix or fade away. Surgery is required.
      That's not an excuse.. it's a fact.
      I don't think men will understand this unless they are able to have multiple babies themselves.

• **average weight

• She isn't talking about weight.
      there's nothing a woman can do about the loose stetch marked skin on her tummy and her boobs that got saggy and stretch marked. Even if she gets back to her pre-pregnancy weight she'll have those problems. And after pregnancy a lot of women experience problems with their lady bits too.

• I can't understand why people make a big deal of Dadbods on men who are old enough to be dads. If you're 40 and over, your body isn't as youthful as a 18-20 year old.
    It takes A LOT of work to keep it looking good at that age, like the Rock or Nathan Jones (who's almost 50)
    At that age, body is less important than being able to take care of a woman and her children (that are hopefully your children)

• are you nationalist!

• Yeah but realistically people have to start small and progress from there.
      I find that people have a harder time making a change when they start off huge.
      Starting small and building on that, gets you in the mode and prepares you for routine and lifestyle change in the future.

• Sure just blame men. That helps.

• I didn't blame any one.
      Even, If I were to you have to acknowledge the fact that people control what goes into their bodies.
      So in all fairness, who else can you blame besides yourself?

• Child birth does take its toll on the female body, and its unfortunate to the ones it does, but if I was honest, if I went through pregnancy and child birth, I would expect that, because women are singled out for this task only, no man can imagine what it all entails, but I know I don't speak for every man here, but in my eyes, whatever pregnancy and birth does to a womans body, its a reminder to how unique women are and how much we fail to appreciate, that being a woman is something a woman could only do, no man could or would if he had the choice, be the one who solely created not just man but the human race. What man would be able to accept that responsibility when all man does is thrive for power through the threat of death and destruction, x

• the last line ♡

• Do you even possess a pair of balls? Your disingenuous disposition is obvious to everyone who doesn't have a hard-on for male belittlement; You look like a jackass berating yourself for female attention.

• ''had no choice in the body they have but the men do!''

Ugh... -_-...

Yes, The dad bod cannot be compared to the mombod, Though, Both are unnatractive in their own right. So that links the two.

''Dad-Bod'' is not to suggest the body is a direct effect of enduring pregnancy, Dad-Bod is named what it is, Because typicall when a family has a baby, The man usually has to work longer hours etc to pay for the child more, And this results in him having less time (To workout and such), Which can cause depression and weight gain due to reliance on food for happiness (Due to dopamine releases from food ingestion).

So no... a lot of men cannot ''Control their dad bods'' so easily as you seem to put it. Sure, Some can, Hell, I would consider myself (Even though im 16), To have a ''Dad-Bod'', Though, The pictures you have provided are not ''Dad-bods'', Those are just 30-40 year olds with beer bellies,

The most famous example is Leo, The body type behind the ''Dadbod'' is visible muscles but a bit of fat, Basically to represent a man who was once buff but put on some weight (I. e as if a kid was born and made him go to the gym less, hence the name).
    www.viralthread.com/.../leo.jpg

You can still see his muscle groupings and stuff, Just there is a layer of fat on top.

Like i said, Personally i would say i have a ''Dad bod'', Im kinda muscular on my arms and shoulders and legs, I just have a little belly like in the Leo picture. (though, as many on here know i use to be pretty obese).

I know you like to make it sound like dad bods are easy to loose, But, Im at the point where if i loose any more weight, I will get loose skin as a result of loosing TOO much weight, And, From a poll i conducted a while back, Loose skin is far worse then a dad bod -
    www.girlsaskguys.com/.../q1609416-would-you-ever-date-a-guy-with-loose-skin

So, Even though i hate my 'dadbod', And would like an ideal body, I guess im just fucking stuck with it and just gotta deal with it.

Its nice and encouraging to know people hate it so much though, So thank you, I appreciate the honesty.

• Typo, I put i was 16 instead of 17** D:

• Kudos to your partner then, He achieved an almost impossible task.

For the rest of us though, Any form of social relationship it just completely out of the question unless you have lots of money or something. Thank you for the empty encouragement anyway though.

And, Dont worry, You never made me feel worse about myself, I have always felt this bad about myself, I am just saying, I agree with your points about my body type being bad. I also too think people with my sort of body should be ashamed of it, And its certainly not something one should have self respect over.

If one has the power to change a body type like myn, They should, I just do not have that power, So sadly im stuck as i am, Which is pretty shit, But yeah, I agree, Guys with my body who can change should change, Im merely stating, Those who can't change like me, Whilst yeah they have vile bodies, We need to accept the fact there is nothing they can do about it.

• You're right. There's nothing you can do but come to terms with how you look. No one is perfect. Even those that appear like they are have some flaw they wish they could change.

• Good mytake and sorry for women who have to undergo pregnancies and stretch marks.

• I hate to break it to you, but a girl came up with "dad bod." Most dudes have a dad bod and want to be in better shape, so you're really drawing dead on this one.

• Read below at my responses to various users. I know a college girl named MacKenzie Pearson coined the term. That is not my issue. My issue is how can it be called "the Dad bod" when you can have that physique before ever becoming a Dad? That is the whole reason for me mentioning the "Mom bod" in this article because those figures have to do with being a mom. So the phrase suits it.

• Also , im not concerned about whether most men have that body type or not , that was never mentioned in this article.
      There are different levels of the Dad bod, i am also pretty sure most men dont have a protruding belly.

• What a bunch of pathetic whining.

A woman coined the term "dad bod," a college student at that, so you need to direct your angst at your own gender.

• Anytime someone expresses their opinion on this site , a piece of shit like you comes out of nowhere and calls it whining.
      Too bad you don't have the brain capacity to understand this very simple article.
      I'm simply just voicing the Dad bod is attainable even if you're not dad unlike the mom bod.

• Neither can you since you're lashing back. Goodbye.

• At best maybe some guy facetiously referred to his figure as a dad bod and called it attractive knowing it wasn't all that. But I'm pretty sure women came up with the "Dad bod" and perpetuated it. I highly doubt guys are coming up with this to avoid taking responsibility for neglecting their bodies.

"Mum bods" aren't a thing because they just simply aren't a thing. Absolutely nothing necessitates a female equivalent in this respect. But if we are to draw any parallels in terms of attractiveness, it would be to MILFs.

So, you can say you don't like the dad bod and can call bullshit on so many women liking it - and you can point to the rough shape a woman's body can be in after birth, but why are you trying to make a parallel between them when they have so little to do with one another?

• You missed the entire point of this article. theoverlookedonlookers.files.wordpress.com/.../point_missed.gif
      I don't think you are familiar with the term "Dad bod" . Dad bod was made by a College student named Mackenzie Pearson. She was trying to empower men who don't fall into society's standard of fit.
      My whole point in comparing the "Dad bod" to the "Mom bod" is to make a huge highlight in the fact, that a Dad bod can be attained without ever having to be a Dad.
      A Mom bod on the other hand does.
      I am stating that the Dad bod should not be placed in the same category as the Mom bod.
      They are totally different.
      Dad bod's are guys who don't really care after their health.
      A Mom can be a woman who does exactly that... but it does not show because pregnancy marked its territory forever.
      I am not here to dispute what is attractive or what is not.
      I made no personal reference to what I like.
      I didn't even criticize others for liking it.
      It amazes me that people insert their own words in this article when I never made any mention of that at all.

• 1) I'm pretty sure no guy coined the term "dad bod".
    2) Yes, it's unhealthy, but some people are attracted to it and they need a reasonable way to say a body-type.
    3) "Dad bod"s are about 30-50 pounds less than what pictures you have shown. It's more like this: www.viralthread.com/.../leo.jpg

• i never heard about dad bod. Maybe it should mean if you look all beat up. Like if a girl beats the crap out of you for knocking her up.

• Yeah, the idea of a Dad bod never made sense to me. It's just an excuse to be lazy, just the same as fat acceptance and all that. All anybody ever does nowadays is make excuses and complain about how hard their life is and how unfair it is to be held to any standard at all. We're becoming a generation of pathetic weaklings.

• I met this 45 yr old friends with benefits and she is also a little consciountious about her body due to her pregnancy. She is pretty hot for her age but yeah you can see a scar or two, which doesn't bug me as its only natural for this to occur. she is, hands down, the naughtiest person I have met, she's awesome, stretch marks and all.

• Why do people always bitch about everything? So what if people try to make themselves feel good about themselves? Why does it effect you? There's so many people who try to live up to you and many other people's standards but can't because of genetics, stress, sadness, etc. I have know 3 people who felt so bad because of people like you always putting them down. They would hurt themselves and not eat for weeks to try to be perfect. What you're doing is so messed up. The dad bod isn't unhealthy or obsessed, it's actually very healthy to have a few extra pounds. Do none of you people who bitch actually study what you complain about? Seriously? The f###?

• I notice on this site that anytime someone expresses a strong opinion , it's called bitching or complaining.
      Grow a pair !
      Not everyone is bitching or complaining.
      I'm stating a fact.
      I have nothing against bodies like what I showed.
      I am just simply stating it's a unfair comparison to pretty much place it in the same category as the Mom bod.
      Stop hiding behind cute names and realize , that yes you are out of shape.
      This reminds me of the overweight girls who say they are curvy.
      there's nothing wrong with your body , just don't hide behind these names.

• He didn't mean to but yeah

• My sympathy goes out to you <3.
      I know you already have built up emotions from losing your friend. But understand this trend isn't that. I made no criticism towards dad bods I am just highlighting a difference.
      *thumbs up

• My "dad bod" never did anything for me... lol

• My six pack bod doesn't do me much either😢

• @Scrambledagain Well shucks man, I'ma just keep doin' me then! Haha... But nah, we'll get it figured out.

• There are muscular guys who look like Greek gods who can't get laid, and skinny guys with zero muscle who date a string of beautiful women. It's all about the presentation.

• More from Guys
    3

What Girls Said 8

• Yeeeah, I'm never getting pregnant. Kudos to women who happily go through all that and feel ok looking like that after giving birth, it's really admirable. Due to my anxiety though, I would never be able to cope with such drastic changes made to my body. :/

As for the dad bod, from what I can tell it's just appreciating the average male body of a 30-50 year old. Not just a fat or unhealthy body, but more like an average body with a lil' bit of muscle and a lil' bit of pudge.
    This is what I think of when I head "dad bod" :
    cdn.playbuzz.com/.../...4f24-8dde-b7cee31068da.jpg
    The guy is clearly taking care of himself but he's not a gym rat or anything. That's pretty much the ideal body for me. Love it.

• I find nothing wrong with the Dad bod. I stated to a previous user that I like all body types. Dad bod fits into the normal standard of what people are, however there is a wider range of "Dad bods". They all don't look like what you showed. When the term "Dad bod" blew up a lot of men didn't waste time to show their beer bellies on social and other body parts.
      It sort of was sort of like the "curvy girl movement".
      Some girls fit into the standard of curvy while others are clearly overweight and are saying that they are.
      I am all for people being contented with their looks.
      However,
      Being a Dad has nothing to do with having that body.
      You can get that body when you have no kids, unlike the Mom bod.

• Do you think you'll ever change your mind about kids?

And I agree some people just don't have that maternal instinct. But usually, when a woman has her own those feelings change.

• No, I've felt this way for 20 years already. In fact, when I was younger, I thought there was something wrong with me because I had no fascination whatsoever for babies. Yeah, I thought they were cute, but I didn't feel the need to hold them, feed them or ask loads of questions about them. And I don't think I'd ever get kids without feeling a maternal instinct at first, hoping I'd get it once I have kids. That really wouldn't work for me at all.

• And that, ladies and gents, is the physical representation of about 55% of the reason why I do not want children.

• Children are a blessing. But not every one is willing to take the chance to see if they will be a) the mom whose body looks almost exactly like it did pre pregnancy or b) the mom whose body is ruined

• I don't much care for children. Maternal instinct is not the cloth I was cut from. I have to catch myself before I apologize when people tell me they're expecting and I have to correct myself more times than I can count for referring to a child as "it." If I had a kid I would tell my husband he will be then paying for me to get plastic surgery to correct my body. I want as few reminders of the child's existence as possible.

It's best that I just not have any to begin with because I wouldn't like it and would find it a chore to care for and not at all rewarding. I only see the negatives they have. And the "positives" don't outweigh the negatives to me. I don't want any of the things that come with being a parent. Never mind the whole body destruction thing. I don't want to send a son to prom or be the mother of the bride. I don't want to sit on PTA meetings or throw a child's birthday. I don't want to be a grandparent. So I'm cut out to not have kids lol

• You most certainly are ! You see the moms that end up having their bodies ruined wouldn't trade their kids in for the world even if it meant having a pre pregnancy figure again.
      Your outlook screams , no kids !
      That's okay.
      We are not all wired to be the nurturing type.

• To me "dad bod" means he's busy doing family stuff instead of living at the gym. Maybe not obese, but softer than in his single life. Though I know guys who are awesome dads who have six packs. But not everyone had the same work obligations. Plus, I think I read that domestic life slightly lowers a guys testosterone so he's a but cuddlier and calmer for his role.

"Dad bod" on a 20 year old college student, though. That's poor diet and low care level.

• yeah its not supposed to be taken so seriously i dont think. my boyfriend is kinda out of shape and i say he has a dad bod as a term of endearment. really he's just a little fat, but i don't mind... actually i kinda like it.

• I think the Dad-Bod is just a normal guy, hairy chest, bit pale, not muscly but stocky instead. I don't think it's fat, it's stocky and sturdy.

• We should stop worrying about not having perfect bodies. Maybe the dad bod could be called "perfectly normal male body"

• I think that a woman can control how her body looks post pregnancy as well. Putting hydrating cream all over your body prevents stretch marks and working out while pregnant, helps avoid loose skin.. dad bod, it's just an expression. It's a fact that men usually put on weight after 30 years old. Before they become 30, they can eat more than they need to, and they won't put on weight. But after 30, they suddently realise they have to be more careful what they eat, and that they have to work out to keep their body looking good

• You can't control the appearance of stretch marks , those creams are all a gimmick.
      There's a reason why there is laser treatment.
      I agree with everything else you said though.

• I don't make these things up. Fact is fact.

People will always have their remedies to these things @thegingersnap16

• Those pics are fucking disgusting, wish I could unsee them all.

• How would you feel if you gave birth and your stomach looked like that? Would you call yourself disgusting?

• Yup, I certainly would.

• Well at least you're honest about that.