My Reasons For Being Vegan

People seem to be very defensive when it comes to diet, so I just wanted to write a little disclaimer saying that I'm not here telling you how to eat, I'm not telling you you're an unethical person, I'm merely providing my reasons as to why I've decided to adopt a vegan lifestyle and sustain it. I'd really love it if no one name-called or acted like an asshole, but I do encourage educational discussion, so if you must argue, do it respectfully.

My Reasons For Being Vegan

So, here are my reasons for being vegan:

For The Environment

I've always loved the environment, it's also a big part of my culture being a Native American person. In short, we believe that it's our moral obligation to do everything in our power to protect our Mother Earth, especially since she provides us with everything that we need to survive and thrive. Think of it as your rent lol. I lived my life with this belief, and did everything from recycling, composting, thrifting, biking, taking short showers, and attending almost every single environmental rally that was ever held on Parliament Hill here in Canada. I've opposed uranium mining, diamond mining, the Keystone XL pipeline, fracking, and I was especially pissed off when Stephen Harper reduced our number of protected lakes and rivers from 2.5 million to only 82. I never once stopped to think about what kind of environmental impact my dietary choices were having, and honestly, I didn't believe there were any, but after watching Cowspiracy: The Sustainability Secret, I learned that not only were my dietary choices negatively affecting the environment, but it was literally the most damaging industry on the planet. The Cowspiracy website has a "Facts" page that lists every single source used in the documentary, so feel free to go there if you'd like sources. I learned that animal agriculture was the number one source of greenhouse gas emissions (more than all forms of transportation combined), I learned that roughly 56% of all freshwater in the U.S. was used for animal agriculture (500 times the amount that fracking used which was something I had protested against in the past), and I learned that animal agriculture was the leading cause of species extinction, ocean dead zones, water pollution, habitat destruction, and desertification. I learned that a single farm of 2,500 dairy cows produced the same amount of waste as a city with the population of 411,000 people. I learned that we could potentially see fishless oceans by the year 2048 and the number one reason for that is overfishing. I also learned that for every one pound of fish caught, there are five pounds of unintended marine species caught as by-kill, meaning that 40% of all fish caught globally are discarded. I learned that animal agriculture is responsible for 91% of Amazon rainforest destruction (and then realized how ironic that The Rainforest Cafe claims to help save the Amazon when they don't even offer a single vegan option on the menu, thus destroying the Amazon with the food they choose to serve). The movie even explored grass-fed, free-range farming and found that even though it's better for the animals, it's actually worse for the environment because it requires more land and resources to produce, whereas on any given space of land, you can grow 15x more protein with plants than you can with animals. Just one day of being vegan saves 1,100 gallons of water, 45 pounds of grain, 30 sq. ft. of forested land, 20 lbs of CO2 equivalent, and the life of one animal. I realized how hypocritical it was of me to claim to care about something so deeply, yet choose to destroy the environment every time I chose to eat.

For The Animals

I actually never really cared for animals that much, I hated horses because I went on a field trip to a ranch with my class and my horse would not stop shitting all over the place and trying to have sex with the other horses, which was actually super traumatizing and embarrassing for 10 year old me hahah. I didn't like cats, because let's be real, they're assholes. I didn't like small dogs, because of all their yapping (super annoying). I didn't like reptiles, because they were gross and sometimes slimy, BUT I always acknowledged that they were living beings that did not deserve to die just because I didn't think they were cool enough. I also acknowledged that these beings felt pain and had a strong desire to live, obviously. It wasn't until one day my boyfriend, who is not a vegan at all, showed me a video someone shared on Facebook called If Slaughterhouses Had Glass Walls... narrated by Paul McCartney that showcased undercover footage from factory farms.

I had seen videos like this before and to this day, I don't know why this single time affected me so much, but I was really invested in this video and it touched me more deeply than I had anticipated. I was crying and though I didn't go vegan then, it definitely planted a seed. I continued to eat animal products because I was easily able to push the truth from my mind as we've all been doing for our entire lives. Eventually, I decided to sit down and watch Earthlings, another documentary about animal cruelty, and this time I knew that veganism was something that I wanted to do or rather something that I needed to do in order for my values and my behaviour to be in alignment.

I mean, I've always lived my life believing I was a compassionate, loving, non-violent person, but eating meat directly opposed those values of mine and I realized I could no longer support something that I was against. I stopped believing that my taste buds held superiority over the lives of others and the environment. Here is a quote by William Ralph Inge that really helped me put things into perspective as well: "We have enslaved the rest of the animal creation and have treated our distant cousins in fur and feathers so badly that beyond doubt, if they were able to formulate a religion, they would depict the Devil in human form."

For People

Something else that I'd learned while watching Cowspiracy was that we are currently producing enough food to feed 10 billion people, but this number confused me because there are only 7 billion people on this planet, yet 795 million people are currently starving. Worldwide, at least 50% of grain is fed to livestock instead of people. 82% of starving children in the world live in countries where food is fed to animals that are then eaten by Western countries. Cows eat 24-27 pounds of food per day, so in the course of their lifetime (1-2 years old at the age of slaughter), they would have eaten somewhere between 8,760 to 19,710 pounds of food to produce 490 pounds of beef. That doesn't sound logical to me whatsoever, it's just a huge waste of food that could have easily went straight to a human being. Veganism could potentially end world hunger and not only that, but it can easily sustain our growing population unlike an omnivorous diet.

For Health

The great thing about all of this is that it is 100% possible to completely healthy on a vegan diet, and this has been confirmed by the American Dietetic Association who's stated that "appropriately planned vegetarian diets, including total vegetarian or vegan diets, are healthful, nutritionally adequate, and may provide health benefits in the prevention and treatment of certain diseases. Well-planned vegetarian diets are appropriate for individuals during all stages of the life cycle, including pregnancy, lactation, infancy, childhood, and adolescence, and for athletes". There is not a single essential vitamin, mineral, fatty acid, or amino acid that humans require that cannot be found in non-animal sources. Anything you can get from animal products, you can get from plants, only with less saturated fat, zero cholesterol, heme-iron, and lower levels of IGF-1 response among other things. Vegans not only live longer, but have lower risks of cardiovascular disease, high cholesterol, high blood pressure, type 2 diabetes, colon cancer, breast cancer, prostate cancer, macular degeneration, cataracts, arthritis, osteoperosis. Vegans also have healthier body mass indexes, have higher energy levels, improved allergies, migraine relief, quicker muscle recovery, and women also experience improved PMS symptoms. Even if I suddenly became a sociopath and had absolutely no compassion for people, animals, and the environment, I'd probably still be vegan just for the health benefits alone. A great documentary on vegan health is Forks Over Knives (on Netflix). Books I reccommend are The China Study by Dr. T. Colin Campbell, Dr. Neal Barnard's Program for Preventing and Reversing Diabetes, The Starch Solution by Dr. John McDougall, The 80/10/10 Diet by Dr. Douglas Graham, A Diet For A New America by John Robbins, and Meat Is For Pussies by John Joseph (for you tough guy "meat is manly" type bros). Dr. Michael Greger also runs a website where he reports the latest in nutritional science called nutritionfacts.org and is extremely helpful with any question you could possibly have regarding health, including vegan health (he's also vegan himself, as many of the doctors I mentioned in this video are).

Female Specific Issues

Seriously, having absolutely no PMS symptoms is like a gift from God. I never knew that there was any way to completely get rid of period symptoms without being heavily medicated until going vegan. Not only is my period lighter and shorter, but the severe cramps and migraines I used to get are completely gone. I made this its own point on the list because I really wanted to explain the reason why vegans experience this. The reason women get cramps is because of something called prostaglandins and the body releases these into the bloodstream when menstruation begins. They constrict blood vessels in the uterus and make its muscle layers contract, causing painful cramps. When these prostaglandins enter your bloodstream, they travel around your body causing everything from migraines/headaches to diarrhea. We can actually reduce the amount of prostaglandins in our bodies, therefore reducing the of pain of PMS or get rid of it altogether, but in order to do so, you must reduce the thickness of the endometrial cell layer. It might sound confusing, but studies have actually found that a change in diet is more effective for reducing period pain than taking pills for it. Prostaglandins are what cause period pain and the higher your serum estrogen levels are, the more prostaglandins your body will produce, so in order to level out the estrogen in your body and bring it down to a healthy level, we must be eating a high-fibre diet (rich in plant foods) because fibre helps the body adjust hormone levels and eating much less foods containing estrogen (dairy and dairy by-products, meat coming from a female animal, and soy). Eating a diet lower in fat helps as well.

Food Borne Illnesses

"CDC estimates that each year roughly 1 in 6 Americans (or 48 million people) get sick, 128,000 are hospitalized, and 3,000 die of foodborne diseases. Estimating illnesses, hospitalizations, and deaths for various types of diseases is a common and important public health practice." E coli, salmonella, listeria, along with every other food borne illness is the result of animal product consumption. Though risk of contracting a food borne illness is heightened when a human eats an omnivorous diet, vegans are also at risk because fruits and vegetables are sometimes contaminated with animal products which really fuckin sucks if you ask me. Like why. I'm not even supporting the animal agriculture industry and it can kill me too. Brutes.

Aesthetic Reasons

Time to get a little superficial, but these are good reasons too. Since going vegan, I've lost 20 pounds and am still losing which is great. Personally, I've experienced stronger hair and nails with faster growth, my skin has completely cleared up (my profile picture is unedited and without makeup if you'd like to see for yourself). I've also noticed that I have less body odour and this isn't as exciting, but my morning breath is significantly less disgusting haha.

Sexuality

There are quite a few ways in which a vegan diet can improve your sex life. The first being that vegans experience an increase in natural lubrication because of how hydrating plant foods are. Fruits and vegetables have a naturally high water content, whereas animal products do not. The second reason is increased blood flow. Since a vegan diet is so low in saturated fat and completely void of cholesterol, this diet is the only diet that will literally clean out your arteries of atherosclerotic plaque, making for increased blood flow to your nether regions lmao. Not many people know this, but erectile dysfunction is actually one of the first signs of cardiovascular disease. So uh, vegan men have harder erections and women have an easier time orgasming. The third reason is that vegans actually have better tasting cum. Naturally, all diets that are high in fruits and vegetables will improve the way you taste, whereas consuming meat, dairy, eggs, and beer all make the cum more acidic and bitter tasting. It's true. No word of a lie.

Spirituality

This specific reason might not be for everyone, but nevertheless I'd like to explain how veganism is in alignment with most religions and/or spiritual beliefs. As I've mentioned, I am Native American and was raised in accordance with my tribe's spiritual beliefs. Basically, the Earth is a symbol of our Mother and the Sky is symbolic of our Father, but the thing that binds them together is the Great Spirit or Kitchi Manitou as we say in Algonquin. You can think of this as Yin and Yang being bound together in a circle to make the Yin-Yang symbol or the Taijitu. The Great Spirit exists within us all and in everything from the rocks to the animals, which is why indigenous people believe in a sense of oneness among all living and non-living things alike. Everything is connected, and we can observe this when learning about ecosystems and food chains. "Humankind has not woven the web of life, we are but one thread within it. Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound together, and all things are connected (Chief Seattle, 1854)," A huge part of living in accordance with Native American spirituality is learning to live in harmony with the world around you and this means respecting all living and non-living beings, it means respecting the environment, always doing what's best for mankind as a whole and dedicating yourself to the greater good, always doing what you believe to be right, being kind, truthful, and honest, value mental and physical well-being, and take responsibility for your actions and their consequences. Veganism really does fit into any religion, as I've met Muslim, Jewish, Christians, and Buddhists who've all said that their dietary lifestyle has given them a strong connection to their religions, to nature, to animals, and have given them a deeper ability to empathize and have compassion for other human beings. There's a quote by Aristotle that I heard in my Intro to Philosophy class, "We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit." It really is true though, when you practice love, compassion, and non-violence at every single meal, you become more in tune with those emotions and abilities.

Interested in a more compassionate lifestyle? ❤️❤️❤️

Ethics 101 Reasons to Go Vegan (YouTube), The Greatest Speech You Will Ever Hear (YouTube), Earthlings (YouTube)

Environment Cowspiracy: The Sustainability Secret (available on Netflix)

Health Forks Over Knives (Netflix), Forks Over Knives Presents: The Engine 2 Diet (Netflix), Food Inc. (Netflix), Vegucated (Netflix), Simply Raw: Reversing Diabetes in 30 Days (YouTube), Fat, Sick, and Nearly Dead (Netflix).

Join the discussion

0/2500

Submit

What Guys Said 34

• Yes, a good summary for why we should reduce or eliminate eating meat. Maybe your picture is the most convincing argument!

• tbh the real issue is not whether the animal has to die but whether animals are free range or not.

e. g. I'd rather eat a slab of meat from a healthy cow that lived a good life than eat cheap, low quality eggs from a caged chicken that also happens to be very poorly treated.

in a similar vein, I can accept some animals NEED to die for the sake of scientific advances, but I don't accept that they need to die so we can diversify our shampoo products or make new cosmetics (we should probably be using more natural organic products anyway since these things can exacerbate skin conditions like exma or dermatitis in my case).

so yeah, killing animals is not the main issue in my view for neither ethical nor pragmatic reasoning, it's about how we treat them.

• That still doesn't fix the issue though. Animal agriculture is the number one cause for most of our major environmental issues, and if you researched the amount of resources grass-fed and free-range cattle requires, it's actually even more devastating to the environment than factory farming. Personally, I think it's just better to do without. "Humane" meat may be better for the animals and for human health, but it's far worse for the environment and quite frankly, if I can be healthy without animal products (which you can), I don't see the point in destroying the environment for a burger. Cons definitely outweigh the pros on this one.

• Personally I follow the lead of wolves and bobcats... eat meat, lol.

And I find it extremely difficult to believe a dairy farm of 2,500 cows makes as much waste as a city of 400k people.

I mean, what sort of cows are we talking about? Rappers, pro athlete cows? How can a cow produce as much waste as 160 people? Cows don't buy clothing, don't go buy items at stores with lots of plastic and cardboard packaging, don't burn gasoline... I'm pretty sure that your average cow makes less environmental waste than me, overall, unless you're counting poop to poop basis only.

• "Personally I follow the lead of wolves and bobcats... eat meat, lol."
      Well there's a pretty big difference between you and wolves and bobcats: Their carnivores and you're a herbivore.

• Poop is biodegradable, but the Earth was never meant to sustain so much livestock. Our food supply literally outnumbers us dramatically to the point that if humans killed each other at the same rate that we kill animals, humans would be extinct in roughly 8 days. In short, it's too much shit for the world to handle, which is the reason why animal agriculture is the leading cause of water pollution andocean dead zones (there are over 500 nitrogen flooded dead zones specifically caused by animal shit spilling into the oceans). I don't think you understand how serious this is. Nature relies on these little things called phytoplankton and they are the root of nearly all food chains and they are currently being decimated by the ocean pollution (animal agriculture still number one reason). Without phytoplankton everything on this planet dies including humans, so the fact that you think your taste buds are more important than our survival as a species is beyond me.

• Also, that's not what I meant by weather being predictable. I doubt you'll know what I'm talking about, but if you've spent enough time outdoors before storms, rain, high speed winds, etc. you'll know what I'm talking about. You can literally use your senses to tell how the weather was going to be that day, you can taste and smell the humidity, you can see and feel the way the wind blows, you can observe the clouds, but all of these things aren't predictive of weather anymore. All the elders talk about this. It's a native thing I guess.

Also, you're off about the deer population thing. The government kills predatory animals in order to protect livestock as well as to control deer populations to make it possible to hunt. In 2014, 796 bobcats were killed, 61,702 coyotes were killed, 305 mountain lions, 15,911 prairie dogs, 8,971 crows, 1,001 cats and dogs, and 22,416 beavers by Wildlife Services, a branch of the US government.

• Still going to eat meat.

• I am vegetarian, I think I will go more and more hardcore, but I will never be vegan because I think it is unnecessary. Honey is so good and causes no harm, and we need more bees anyway! Stuff like that...

Also, you can't start off by saying you aren't telling people that they are unethical then go on to talk about how ethical vegan-ism is... You are clearly saying that eating meat in the way that people do is unethical. It is totally fine, because it IS unethical, but don't go off saying you aren't judging when you clearly are.

• Why do you feel going vegan is unnecessary? I mean, the dairy industry is even more cruel than the meat industry and the egg industry grinds up male chicks while they're still alive.

I stand by everything I said, but I think you misunderstood the placement of those two sentences that people seem to be taking issue with. At the beginning of the article I wrote "I'm not telling you you're an unethical person" because supporting animal agriculture doesn't automatically make anyone a bad person, I think it's just a matter of education. Perhaps they didn't know how bad it was for the animals, how much destruction the industry does to our planet, and perhaps they didn't know it was possible to still be healthy while being vegan. Once they do know these things, I think the situation changes, which is why I said "Interested in a more compassionate lifestyle?" at the end of the article, after they became aware of most of the atrocities that take place as a result of eating animal products.

• I agree about the honey then. Yes, technically we're exploiting them and stealing their food source, but breeding bees is actually pretty important considering they're endangered and all. It might even become a necessity if wild honey bees die off in the wild :/

• We are exploiting them in a sense, but there is such a thing as symbiotic relationships, and they are necessary. We aren't harming them, and they aren't bothered by it.

• I bet this chick got super green poop.

• I am glad to be semi vegan.

• Well as someone who is studying Nutrition and Dietetics at University let me elaborate on what you said under health.

What you have said is 100% factually correct. HOWEVER it is very dangerous fact. What I mean by that is although you CAN get everything you need from vegetables it is actually very difficult. You have to have a very in depth understanding of nutrition Actually one of the main arguments that shuts down people who say humans were meant to be vegetarian is the fact no location on the planet naturally has all the nutrients and proteins a person would need. It is only because of modern agriculture and transportation that it is possible to lead a health vegetarian lifestyle. Now being vegetarian is very healthy. That being said I know Dietitians who are vegetarian who still prepare meat for their childrens meals. There are hidden details when it comes to getting everything you need from vegetables. Ill just touch on one example. Protein. Just because a vegetable has a protein content does not mean your body is able to process it. There are 20 different amino acids that can form a protein, and nine that the body can’t produce on its own. These are called essential amino acids—we need to eat them because we can’t make them ourselves. In order to properly absorb protein we need all 9. No vegetable in existence contains all nine. You need multiple vegetables to get them. How many vegetarians know this? Very few. That is the danger. Parents thinking if they feed their kids nuts and beans for example everything is fine. It is not. Only one food source has all 9. Meat, every single type of meat.

Another point I could go in to is how although a vegetarian diet does in fact provide more energy and lower cholesterol then a balanced diet there is another diet that has more energy and even lower cholesterol. Surprise, its a high fat/protein diet consisting of 80% meat and no carbohydrates. So the information given in the post, though correct, is misleading

• Actually, research the Okinawan people who lived in a mainly vegan diet (animal products were consumed once or twice a year) and they lived in plants that were native to their location. They are known to be the longest living people in the world and were among the healthiest, that was until Western doctors told them they would be healthier if they ate more animal protein, which they did... but now they're just as unhealthy as all the Western countries are, experiencing obesity, cardiovascular disease, cancer, and diabetes. Anyways, there's an example of people being perfectly healthy, living on plants solely grown in their location. Not only them, but many vegans living in tropical areas of the world are perfectly healthy while eating a diet made up of only local and organic produce. The fact that many of us around the world have to rely on grocery stores to get our food doesn't really prove anything about veganism, it just proves that humans migrated away from where we evolved.

• I can see there is no point in trying to have an educated discussion with you. Why ask for it and then not only insult a person but use childish remarks? You are the problem with vegans. You refuse to listen. When someone shows you science fact you get defensive and child like. I am done here. You are a waste of time and do not have the intelligence required to be bias.

Even though you do not deserve it I will try to help you one last time before I leave this post. I study Nutrition to help people. people who fall victim to scams. You are speaking of the The Okinawa Centenarian Diet. This study was false. All the information was faked in order to sell books. In actual fact all 100 of the preserved Okinawan people showed they ate animal products. Every single one. It is completely false. Educate yourself. It is embarrassing.

• I listened, and I responded. I'll admit I was rude and I apologize, but I just thought that someone studying Nutrition and Dietetics would understand that protein combining isn't an issue. The body utilizes and binds the individual amino acids on their own within a 24 or 48 hour time frame (trying to remember what our professor taught us, since I'm studying nutrition as well). I study nutrition to help people as well and I feel connected to it since I've lost so many family members to diet-related illnesses that were completely preventable. Being vegan is my personal choice, but this doesn't change the fact that minimal consumption of animal products correlates with better health. I mean, the Nurses Health Study found that eating only one egg per day had the same effect on mortality that smoking 5 cigarettes a day for 15 years and that's absolutely shocking.
      If the Okinawans weren't a good example, what about the California Adventists? People living in rural China?

• Cool more turkey for me :D

• Veganism doesn't really make you lose weight at all. In fact most weight is put on from calories from carbs generally, not fat or protein.
    Many people lose weight from eating only meat because it's very difficult to eat enough to gain weight, with carbs it is very easy.
    Also, mmm bacon.
    I don't really care about animals, they're not people, we're above them, people can do what they like with them as long as it's not torture (of any animal) or neglect of a dog/cat/etc.

• You sound like a wonderful person, wow. I'm afraid you don't know much about nutrition though, since carbs are the body's number one source of energy. They get burned up the most efficiently of all three macronutrients, whereas excess fat and protein gets converted into fat before they can be used for energy, which is why plenty of vegans lose a lot of weight after transitioning to a carb heavy diet, lower in dietary fat and excess protein. Look into Dr. John McDougall and Dr. Neal Barnard's research on human nutrition. Carbs aren't the enemy, otherwise the Ancient Okinawans, rural Chinese, and the California Adventists would be sick and fat since the bulk of their diets come from carbs, but instead they have the lowest rates of cancer, diabetes, cardiovascular disease, osteoporosis, arthritis, healthiest weights, and have the longest life expectancies in the world.
      www.nih.gov/.../nih-study-finds-cutting-dietary-fat-reduces-body-fat-more-cutting-carb
      www.sciencedirect.com/.../S1550413115003502
      care.diabetesjournals.org/.../1777.abstract

• Torture implies it's meant to hurt them, no one really cares enough to torture livestock tbh fam.
      by the way, if you want to say artificial insemination is rape, it really isn't. Most animals like cows/sheep/pigs get pregnant from rape anyways, that's just how those animals are, it's fucked up yeah, but true.

We're the top of the food chain, if cats were at the top they'd eat us, I don't really care about some random animal that can't think.

• Because trying to kill someone doesn't mean you're trying to hurt them? lmao
      It's still unwanted penetration and it's still wrong. Though it happens in the wild, it's done for the sake of reproduction and to keep their species alive. To impregnate someone with the sole purpose of kidnapping and killing her child to steal their milk and sell it to people who don't even need it in the first place, is fucked up and completely wrong and I don't understand why you feel the need to defend such cruelty. You sound like a slaveowner from the 1800's saying "but it's always been this way", "but they're savages", etc. There's a quote by Theodore W. Adorno that says "Auschwitz begins wherever someone looks at a slaughterhouse and says: they're only animals."
      You say it's okay to hurt these animals because they're not as smart as we are, but intelligence has nothing to do with whether or not a being can feel pain, can experience suffering, and has a desire to live. This does not justify harming them

• Ground beef is the bits of beef that are too small to serve as steak, not the trash bits, those are sent to be made into fertilizer and dog food and such.

Long as I can still eat my double meat whatever, I don't much care what others are eating, but if I am presented with viable reasoning to stop eating meat, I'll adapt, until then, grill on. XD

• I haven't gone full vegan, and I'm not sure I ever will, but I cut out factory meat (to the best of my abilities, because if the regulators are corrupt, it's impossible to be sure). Even if you don't stop eating animal products as a whole, it's still an improvement to reduce them. Most of what I eat now is vegetables, grains and fruits.

Quite honestly, I don't think eating meat in moderation creates any sort of health problem, but what got me over the edge in cutting out meat, especially beef is reading about the effects on global warming. 2nd reason is the cruelty to animals. The only reason animals get tortured in factory farms is because they can't fight back. The same dynamic of convenience led people to do the same to other people, in the past, but then then the consequences were seen as threats. It's very pathetic for us to torture beings for any reason only when there are no consequences against us.

• 3,2,1. Okay, it's time for you to fuck off!

• I love you. ... but seriously I've watched all the documentaries you listed. 90% of what I eat is plant based. It was 100% for a full year not too long ago. So I know what you're saying I feel so much better and I constantly get looked at as a freak with my grocery cart filled with organic produce. But, I feel great and so does my family. Maybe some day more people will catch on.

• Your First Nations too? What tribe are you from?

I liked how you are connected with your culture a lot, a lot of people nowadays forget it and just don't learn it which is a shame.
    Though also technically you could make the argument as a Native you are still following in the past of your ancestors by eating meat considering how important meat was to their diet and how highly regarded the hunters were in the society, but that's unrelated.

Great take though, I will still continue to eat meat lol but I really like how deep your connection is to your decision to not eat meat, and how informed you are about the subject.

• Yes, half Cree and Algonquin First Nation. Thanks, I think it's really important that we become closer to our roots. A lot of people think it's weird that a native doesn't eat meat lmao, but I always felt as native people, protecting our environment was more important than eating a specific type of diet. I did eat wild meat for a long time though, but eventually my body started reacting badly to it because I was only eating wild meat like once every 4 months.

• Yeah, I've seen that one too. It really sucks, makes me want to build my own greenhouse so I can grow my own food in the winter too lmao.

• Haha yeah me too. I've always wanted live to up in northern Canada or even Alaska maybe, and hunt and fish and grow my own food and stuff. Live off the land, you know. That would be my dream. You can't really do that in most parts of America.

• I used to be a vegetarian because I felt bad for animals not too long ago. Then I realized I was sort of a "fake" vegetarian because I still owned a leather jacket and had a bunch of products that were probably tested on animals.

• No, a lot of vegans have different opinions on that. Obviously, once you go vegan, it means that you stop supporting companies that harm animals, but when it comes to things you bought before becoming aware of the cruelty, it's different. Some people throw away or donate every non-veg item they owned and some just keep them. The only leather items I have are doc martens and these other leather boots that were really expensive and I bought them years before going vegan, but I haven't thrown them away. They were just really expensive and I want to get as much use out of them as I can before I donate them. I did throw away all of my non-veg products though, like makeup and things like that. It really is up to you, if you don't feel comfortable with it you can always throw those items out, but keeping them doesn't make you a hypocrite since you bought them before going cruelty free :).

• Are you sure you don't eat meat, just because you don't like to?
    I have a vegetarian cousin, who used to grow up in a meat eating house hold. He decided to not eat meat when he was 12-13. He gave a laundry list of reason not to as well.
    Later, I found out from our grandmother, that he never liked eating meat from a young age.
    He was putting logic to an emotional preference, which I believe is unnecessary.
    If you want or don't want to do something, it's your choice. :D

• Oh no, definitely not. I was pretty much as carnivore as it gets lmao. Epic meal time was my favourite YouTube channel, I ate animal products for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. I was obsessed with bacon and steaks. I would go hunting with my dad every fall and goose hunting every spring and I know how to skin, gut, and prepare these animals to eat as well. I still don't oppose hunting all too much because it's probably the least harmful to the environment and the animal's well-being compared to factory and free-range farming. I just wasn't aware of the environmental destruction animal agriculture caused, and for some reason, I never considered animals as my equals, in fact, I didn't pay them much thought at all. Me being vegan has nothing to do with taste, in fact, I struggled sooo hard to give up pizza and poutines, but it became a necessity because I was having a moral struggle with myself at every meal.

• I like the native American, and it's a shame what the settlers did to them. Which I find funny, because no matter where people like the settlers go, destruction follows. In Asia, Africa, and the pre settlers Americas, life was more fair and balanced. Man took what they needed and even gave back to the land. The settlers just took.
      I see your point.
      We think the only people who are people, are the people who look and think like us. but if you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew you never knew. :D
      I agree with what you said.

• Aw, a pocahontas quote! Love that movie :) haha Glad we agree on that

• Your a good person. Wish everyone was vegan so animals can run free. Those animal concentration camps need to be demolished

• This whole post would be more influential if the sources weren't all youtube videos and vegan propaganda films. That's not me bashing. I'm just saying, when we have access to the Internet it's very simple to find scientific studies on the matter. Going to films that are meant to cause shock and elevate emotions is just another form of persuasion.

• I chose to do it that way for some (majority of my sources were not film websites) because the films have listed all of their sources on their website, and doing it that way was a lot less time consuming that providing each of their sources and there were almost a hundred lol. If I had more time, I would have though.

• I love how you put gorillas into the equation because they often eat baby chimps, monkeys etc... It was a great read but I am still going to feast on the flesh of animals.

• More from Guys
    14

What Girls Said 11

• I'm glad that you're happy being vegan! Ignore what other people say about it ruining or your health etc. I'm sure it won't...
    Also, lucky you! No PMS symptoms is good, although a change in diet won't alter these symptoms for some women... (so says my GP- who is vege).
    I'm also glad you said you wouldn't try to foist your opinions on me... But perhaps using the words "more compassionate lifestyle" wasn't quite right? You're right, it is a choice, but like I wouldn't tell you it's healthier, or nicer or you're a better person to eat meat, please don't say that my choice to eat meat makes me less compassionate. I see your point but likewise, I've made my choice to.
    Respect to you though for ignoring the people who don't understand the benefits.

• I see your point, but saying that a vegan diet is more compassionate isn't a knock on any other diet, but rather just a fact. When a person empathizes with other beings regardless of species and refuses to cause them harm, that person is indeed a more compassionate person that someone who knows other beings are in pain and are suffering because of their everyday choices and chooses to continue harming them.
      I'm sorry if that rubs you the wrong way, but it is the truth.

• Hmm... It's not the word I would use but I honestly don't have any better suggestions... Perhaps it's the insinuation that becoming vegan makes you a more compassionate person... I mean it does in terms of treating animals well, but it doesn't mean you're more compassionate towards other people... It's just personal connotations with that word...

• Found the vegan lol

• This is the first time I enjoyed a vegan take on this site, because you didn't take the stance of: Veganism is superior and everyone else is a cruel fuck head!

It was educational, well written, and enjoyable. Good work.

• I tried going vegetarian when I was younger (because back then there was no way in hell I was giving up eggs or milk or chocolate)

My family cooked lasagne the next night. Bastards. So that was a fail.

I don't really like at all very many fruits and veggies. Most of which are the really popular ones you'll find in salads and such. I hate strawberries, can't stand tomato or pineapple, I don't like bananas, apples are okay, mandarins are only good sometimes, other times they're terrible, and I can't think of many others.
    I only like iceberg lettuce yet everyone only ever uses the leaf stuff.
    Beetroot is good but not if its homemade. The one thing that should never be homemade.

Also I apologise on behalf of all the people cracking down on you for stating your beliefs on being a vegan, especially when these are the same people who thank a divorcee or something for sharing their story. Not that being a divorcee is bad, I just think this take is a little more informative and useful.

I don't have anything else to say. Good luck!

• Thanks :) Yeah, my brother hates pretty much all vegetables too and he has somewhat poor health as a result. I keep trying to sneak in some greens in his fruit smoothies, but he always catches me doing it haha.

• I'm not vegan. I just wanted to say that i'm thankful for vegan companies having products in stores like sprouts. I am allergy prone (dairy , soy, random veggies &fruits&nuts) and a lot of vegan products have kept me healthy. As a college student on my campus allergic to so many things, being vegan isn't good for me (as it is I can eat very few things) but I liked this article.

• Is vegan the new religion? Why do vegans insist on pushing their beliefs on everyone and anyone who they can? You don't want to eat meat, great. But how about stop trying to convince everyone else that being a rabbit will magically make you healthy. I know vegans who are fat, and I know a shit ton of athletes who love meat.

You also seem to think that vegans are the only ones who eat vegetables.
    "vegans experience an increase in natural lubrication because of how hydrating plant foods are" unless meat dehydrate then you are not further ahead than non vegans.

A lot of vegans eventually revert because the benefits of meat are a biological absolute.
    articles.mercola.com/.../...nearly-killed-her.aspx

chriskresser.com/.../

www.google.ca/search

• We need more hot vegans guys. I don't want to date gross meat eaters.

• I've been vegan since I was 12 years old I did it for the animals when I was 12 lol and just continued ever since it's been 4 years oh and did you know the strongest man in the world is vegan isn't that cool

• Patrik Baboumian? Yeah, it's so cool. Every time someone's like "But I'll lose my gains if I go vegan", I'm like nooooo lmao

• I'm a proud black Native American who eats her meats. That's great if this whole vegan junk works for you, but it's not for everyone. Just because it's YOUR truth and u can find things to back up what you believe, that doesn't make it THE truth.
    God said we could eat anything that doesn't disagree with our bodies (food wise), so that's what I do. And uk what? I'm healthy, strong, beautiful, at a healthy weight with little blemishes. I will never feel sorry for being an omnivore.

• 38.media.tumblr.com/.../...e_mzs3jb3jJg1qkyb34.jpg
      Proud of what? Destroying the environment? Killing innocent animals? God would be so proud of you.

• Unfortunately, it's impossible to be to an effective environmentalist if you still support the animal agriculture industry. Eating vegan for one day saves 1,100 gallons of water, 45 pounds of grain, 30 sq ft of forested land, 20 lbs CO2 equivalent, and one animal’s life. If you were only taking short showers, recycling, composting, and biking, you wouldn't even save a fraction of that. I can tell you care though, so I hope you make the connection sometime soon. Cowspiracy is a great movie if you'd like to learn more about how a vegan diet saves the environment.

• I admire the hell out of vegans. But I just can't give up meat.
    I do, however, raise my own chickens and cattle, so I know that they're happy and well cared for.

• basically this is the way to be.

telling society to stop killing animals and eating meat is sorely unrealistically but changing things around a bit so that animals are treated better is the way forwards and people that free range livestock such as yourself will be taken more seriously in this matter because they have personal experience doing so.

• If your farm was the only one that existed, then that would be great, but there are thousands of farms like yours and the cumulative effect that growing alfalfa has on the environment is still quite a lot. The problem still remains that there are too many people eating meat for the planet to produce in a sustainable manner.
      i.kinja-img.com/.../rr3dv8ikogxeqabs0noc.jpg
      Healthier cows produce 500% more greenhouse gasses than grain-fed cows, one of those gasses being methane which is 25-100 times more destructive than carbon dioxide and has 86 times the global warming potential. Oh, can't forget nitrous oxide too, cows produce 65% of human related emissions and it has 296 times the global warming potential of carbon dioxide, and stays in the atmosphere for 150 years. Even if we completely stopped burning fossil fuels, we would exceed our 565 gigatonnes CO2e limit by 2030, all from raising animals... Depressing.

• I understand what you're saying. But for me, being able to control my animals' quality of life is a step in the right direction, even if it doesn't solve the problem on a global scale.

• I'm vegan too, for basically all the reasons you've stated. I feel a lot better being vegan, but if something's gonna break me, it'll be the smell of bacon