We all share this world together.
Some of us claim to know so much about life.
But have you ever asked yourself, how much do you know about death?
Please, take the mini quiz below to find out!
How to get started
- Get a blank sheet of paper
- Numbered from 1-16
- Read each statement listing "T"(True) or "F"(False)
- Check your answers below!
- Don't forget to share your results in the comment box below!
True or false?
1. The last sense to go before you die is smell.
2. A human head remains conscious for about 15 to 20 seconds after it is been decapitated.
3. There is a plant that leaves its victim with a smile on their face after death.
4. On average, right-handed people live 9 years longer than their left-handed counterparts.
5. Cardiac arrest is the same as a Heart attack.
6. People don't die from being old.
7. A dentist invented the Electric Chair.
8. If Nutmeg is injected intravenously it can kill you.
9. Doctors' sloppy handwriting kills more than 7,000 people annually.
10. Water in large quantities is beneficial for your health.
11. You are more likely to be killed by a champagne cork than by a poisonous spider.
12. The leading cause of death is suicide.
13. Japanese dislike the number "8" because its pronunication sounds like the word "death".
14. In Turkey, the colour for mourning is black.
15. The Lion has physically killed more people than any other mammal in the world.
16. The Victorians used to take pictures with their dead family members.
Explanation: The last sense to go before dying is not smell, it is hearing.
Explanation: If there is no physical trauma applied to the head (a powerful smack), the brain should function until blood loss causes loss of consciousness.
Explanation: Hemlock water-dropwort plant is highly toxic and causes symptoms similar to those described by the ancients for the sardonic smile, including facial paralysis.
Explanation: Left-handed people are more likely to live shorter lives than their right-handed counterparts because they live in a right-hand dominated world facing difficulty using products for the righty. This contributes to over 2,500 left-handed people being killed each year for using these products.
Explanation: Cardic arrest and Heart attack is not the same thing.
Cardiac arrest happens when the heart stops pumping blood. With no pumping action, the blood pressure falls and blood is no longer forced into the muscles and organs of the body.
The term heart attack refers to damage to the muscle of the heart, usually from a lack of blood flow. Most of the time a blood clot forms in one of the arteries that supply heart muscle with blood, blocking the flow of blood.
Explanation: As people get older, their cells simply don't work as well, and can't stave off disease as easily or heal as well as they once could. As a result, older people may die from injuries or diseases that a younger person would easily survive. But nothing dies from simply being old.
Explanation: Alfred P. Southwick (1826–1898), was a steam-boat engineer, dentist and inventor from Buffalo, New York. He is credited with inventing the first electric chair as a method of legal execution.
Explanation: Nutmeg is extremely poisonous. It contains a substance called myristicin. It is a narcotic with very unpleasant toxic side effects. If injected intravenously, it goes directly into your blood stream. Nutmeg is also harmful if consumed in large quantitites.
Explanation: Errors result from unclear abbreviations and dosage indications from a doctor’s illegible handwriting on prescriptions. A 2006 report from the National Academies of Science's Institute of Medicine (IOM) found patients’ lives are at risk if their doctor has sloppy handwriting. Poor handwriting has killed more than 7,000 people annually.
Explanation: You should not drink water in excess, it can be damaging to your health. Dilutional hyponatremia, is a potentially fatal disturbance in brain functions that results when the normal balance of electrolytes in the body is pushed outside safe limits by overhydration.
Explanation: Celebrating with champagne corks is common in traditions throughout the world. Because of this wide practiced exposure, this increases the chances of this fact being very likely.
Explanation: The leading cause of death in the US is not suicide. It is heart disease which totals to around 611,105 deaths per year.
Explanation: The number 8 is considered a lucky number, so therefore it is not disliked by Japanese. This is because of the shape of the kanji character for eight. The two strokes are wider at the bottom, suggesting a better time or better things to come in the future.
However, the number "4" is considered unlucky because it is pronounced the same as "death".
Explanation: The color violet in Turkey is the color for mourning, not black.
Throughout Europe wearing black is tradition. This custom is derived from the Roman Empire. Although the color black is recognized throughout the West as a color of mourning, around the world black is associated with evil and mystery.
Explanation: The Lion has not been the most physically harmful, it is the Hippopotamus. The mammal is found today throughout sub-Saharan Africa. It is considered by many experts, explorers and Africans to be the most dangerous mammal in Africa. The hippo's have killed way more people than Africa's lions have. The hippo is extremely aggressive, unpredictable and unafraid of humans, upsetting boats sometimes without provocation and chomping the occupants with its huge canine teeth and sharp incisors.
Explanation: The Victorians did this because it was very expensive for them to take a picture of their loved ones alive.
Lets share some cake if you did fairly well!
If you didn't better luck next time!