How to Deal with Acne

How to Deal with Acne

For some people acne ended after their teenage years or its never really a problem more than the occasional few pimples here or there that they either let fade with time, get rid of with a topical acne treatment, or cover up with make-up. However, for many more, acne is a persistant problem or its one that is more of an all over the face situation. Obviously, everyone's skin is different, things like cystic acne may require a dermatologists help, but overall, getting into a good routine of taking care of your face will help lessen the incidences of acne.

For the Ladies

First and foremost, take a good hard look at your make-up and your brushes. When you buy make-up, put a date on it somewhere so you know how old it is. If you're still using the same blush from 2010, you REALLY need to update your kit asap. Get rid of mascara/pencils after 3 months, lipstick/gloss after 6 months, foundation after 6-12 months, and loose compact powder, powder blush, and powder eye shadow after 1 to 2 years (if you are routinely cleaning all your make-up brushes, sooner if you aren't). Also you need to make cleaning your make-up brushes part of your make-up routine. Using the same brushes you apply foundation with for example, from week to week to week without washing them, is only helping to spread dirt and oil and bacteria from your face to brush to make-up kit and back again.

Skin Care Cleaning Routine

If your skin is bad, you are going to need to commit to a full nightly ritual of deep cleaning, restoration, and moisturization. A good routine to follow is:

The costs can quickly add up with all the products, but spend your money wisely. Obviously if you are an 18 year old with fresh youthful skin, you can probably skip anti-aging or eye creams. Also for most things on the list, you can find a lower cost product at the grocery store or drug store that does the same thing, but is within your budget. However, quality does come into play when you start talking about dark spot removers and topical acne treatments especially when it comes to the concentrations of certain ingredients. Work with your budget and budget wisely for your own issues.

For Darker Skin

Although all races can suffer from acne scarring, the issue tends to be much more noticable with those who have darker skin. There is a condition called, Post-inflammatory hyperpigmentation (PIH) which makes acne scars much darker on darker skin tones. Take additional care with how you treat acne scars, current and past. For more information, see: http://www.beyondtalk.net/hyperpigmentation-dark-skin/

Additional Things That Can Help

• Drink plenty of water, get enough sleep, and exercise
  • Wash and replace your pillowcases regularly
  • Once a month facials do wonders for rejuvinating and refreshing the skin
  • Don't exercise with make-up on, and make sure to really wash your face afterwards
  • When applying hairsprays and other hair products, make sure to either cover your face as you apply them (as in hair spray) or wash your face, especially your forehead
  • You do need sunlight in your life to get Vitamin D, but going unprotected without sunscreen for extended periods of time regardless of race, or tanning is harmful and damaging to the skin.
  • If all else fails, see a Dermatologist who can prescribe medications for the face not sold over the counter and which are much more potent

Join the discussion

0/2500

Submit

What Guys Said 3

• accutane. game over.

(i had severe cystic acne when younger)

• if you can't afford a derm or dont have insurance, look into obtaining water soluable vitamin a. the doses need to be extremely high. so read up before u poison yourself.

• I dont just get acne on my face, I get it everywhere-neck, back, chest, tummy, arms etc and often a giant lump that takes a few months to fade. Very hard to keep a positive self image. And I spent a year on hardcore meds for acne when I was 15. Not cool.

• accutane. had the same issues in the same areas. chest back neck n face. every other measure is half ass.

• @orphan Roaccutane. I'm in AUS so maybe its our equivalent. Back then I could cop it but I'm friggin 27 geez the occassional pimple ok, but not giant lumps, and everytime one goes, another big fucker shows up!

• Basically to sum it up :

For Girls - Wear a shit ton of makeup.

For Guys - You're fucked, Deal with it.

• Actually neither of those suggestions is going to help you with acne. You have to actually treat it if you want to try to make it go away or lessen it's affects. Covering up with make-up or doing nothing will obviously... do nothing for you.

What Girls Said 2

• I have light acne on my face but it's still highly annoying. I wash my face enough and actually have a dry, thin skin. My mom (who's a doctor) says it's hormonal acne so there's literally nothing to do about it. Thanks for trying though but some people are just fucked.

• have you ever tried going to a dermatologist. Not to knock your mom, but a second opinion could help especially since as I know, it can be extremely annoying.

• I know. My mom says it's not necessary since a dermatologist can't really do anything about it. Genetically the receptors of my skin are very sensitive to hormones. It causes that the upper layer of my skin keratinizes fast (not sure if I said that right) and so every bit of grease can't go out. I use benzoyl peroxide to remove the upper skin layer a bit and it works a little bit but not enough. My mom also had acne till she was 30 years old...

• For me a half glass of Milk and 1/4 teaspoon of nutmeg works really well every night. But I always clean my make up brushes weekly. And then use facial wash and a day/night cream often