Why Winter Weather is the Worst

Seriously... why is it called winter? It should be called LOSEter, because nobody wins in the winter. Nobody. I promise. It doesn't happen. The worst part is you would think after 23.5 years of living in a state that experiences winter without fail every year, I'd be used to it. I'd maybe learn to like it. Nope.

Why Winter Weather is the Worst

Granted, 2015/16 winter has been pretty tame this year. We've had more days in the 20s and 30s than we have the teens, and we didn't get snow until the end of December and beginning of January. There haven't really been any outrageous winter storms, unlike the 2014/15 winter. But there are still the same old awful things that occur every year. The things that make this midwestern, lake effect experiencing, black ice sliding girl want to move south.

1. Bitter cold:

I don't care how many layers you have on. You can have two layers on, or you can have five layers on. You're still gonna feel that awful, painful cold all over your body. It's inevitable, and it's totally not necessary.

2. The wasted gasoline, the wasted money:

Granted, it's not a lot of fuel wasted. But it's still fuel that could've been used to actually drive somewhere. Instead you're using it to idle your car while you wait until ice melts off your windows so you can drive well enough to not hit any mailboxes, pedestrians, or other cars. Not to mention it's not exactly legal to drive with ice and snow covering your windows.

3. Winter blues:

You can't help but just feel... shitty in the winter. You lose motivation to do things because it's cold so you feel unaccomplished because you avoid leaving your house for any extended amount of time. The idea of even thinking of making plans is exhausting, because it leads you to weigh the pros and cons of enduring the aforementioned bitter cold just for a couple hours of socializing.

4. Driving gets 20x scarier:

Not because there's suddenly ice on the ground, or because there are white things flying at your windshield, simultaneously distracting and obstructing your vision. But because the people around you, for the first month of winter at least, still drive like its 50 degrees and clear out. They ride your ass if you're going slow because your car can't handle winter roads (seriously, why do they even sell cars in winter states when they're incapable of functioning in the winter?), and they drive recklessly becuse they think they're invincible and henceforth are the reasons for slide-offs and accidents.

5. The season takes up the majority of the year:

Some years are better than others, and the snow doesn't come or stay as long. But some years it friggin' sucks. Even if it's not an absurd amount, and even if the temperatures have surpassed a balmy 40 degrees, there's probably still snow on the ground. A gentle reminder that the past 8 or so months will soon return when the next 4 months are over.

Sincerely,
A girl hiding inside her house on her day off because it's currently only 19 degrees outside.

teawrecks is a GirlsAskGuys Editor
Who are Editors?

Join the discussion

0/2500

Submit

What Guys Said 22

• -excuse to drink hot chocolate
    -peppermint white hot mocha from sbux
    -holiday cups from sbux
    -skiing
    -ski bunny girls
    -girls are more apt to netflix and chill

• All points to put in your own mytake on "Why Winter Weather is Wonderful".

• I never use alliteration and I'm never cute with my take titles... you should know this, James.

• Winters are tough all over.

Here in California, the mercury dipped to an outrageously low 40F at night and we've actually had RAIN! RAIN! Water actually falling from the sky. A person could actually get wet from going outside! It's insane!

I hear we might have a day-time high that isn't even in the 60sF! How do they expect people to live here?

• Yesterday morning it was 2 degrees in Chicago. The 5 minute walk from the train station to my school were awful, I felt I was gonna lose my nose, not kidding xD But at night we had a little bit of snow which was awesome.
    Though yeah, that kind of cold weather sucks, I do like winter, not as much as summer or Spring, but I still like it. I do like the cold weather cause I'm not used to it, but not so cold as yesterday.
    This is only my 3rd winter where I'm not at 60 degrees, so maybe that's why I like it, cause I haven't spent my whole life with this kind of winter.

• Hmm... there's supposed to be a blizzard storm around NYC this weekend.. I'll decide whether or not winter is for me. :x
    there's no blizzard storms in San Francisco

• I would assume there wouldn't be any in SF lol

But good luck with that storm. You'll probably be wishing to be back in SF like three hours into it. Depending on how often you have to go out into the actual storm lol

• If it's a blizzard.. you better wait until after it passes before bringing her out there to build a snowman. or I'm callin child services on you 😠 It'll be way too flippin cold!

• Ima knock em out!

• Nice take about your winter experience, I felt cold even reading that - In Ireland the coldest average month is January at 41 so seeing snow is a rarity for me - I think I told you before if we get more than an inch of snow and the country grinds to an almost stop

• Pictured: Me "enjoying" a hardy Wisconsin winter
    i0.wp.com/.../Max-hates-Winter.png

• You're doing it wrong.

1. You're wearing the wrong layers. Get a good down coat. Get some sunglasses. Get a Buff or something else stretchy that will cover your mouth and nose. Wear a hat if your coat has a crappy hood. Your face is now warm. Get some good gloves that are waterproof, get some longjohns so your legs are kept warm, get a good pair of Sorel boots and wear two pairs of socks. I walk home from work even when the snow is deep, and it's so cold that if I pull my face cover away, the condensation from my breath on it will freeze it solid.

2. Stop being a wuss and scrape your windows clean. You can get icemelter spray if you want. Don't start the car until you are actually sitting in it ready to drive away. In many jurisdictions, it's illegal to let a car idle like that, and it's bad for the car, too.

3. Self fulfilling prophecy. Because you don't dress properly, you don't want to go outside, and so you are missing out on fresh air and sunshine and all the fun you can have in the snow.

4. Cars are perfectly functional in the winter if you get winter tires on and drive gently and carefully. Funny you should say Aveo, because you're looking at a Wave.

5. Whine whine whine. Here in Ontario, we have had very little snow all winter. Last year we had nothing until February when we had a massive dump. The year before, we had an ice storm that shut much of the Golden Horseshoe down for a week. No way in hell is it 'the majority of the year'. I have a mountain bike. The moment the snow and ice is gone, to the moment it comes back, you can ride. Or just hike.

• Oh fucking yeah man... I hate winter and imagine where I live winters r considered mild... but 19F? Fuck it must be a killer one... imagine I find it cold when it's 40s...

• also, just being outside in the cold can physically hurt you. in the heat, you just feel sweaty and uncomfortable. you can't lose limbs being outside in the cold. also, you can't die just from being outside in the heat unless it's ungodly hot out and you're doing a lot of physical activity.

• Why I hate winter :-
    ●Girls don't wear skirts
    ●*atchoo* 😷

• I think I saw John L. Sullivan.

• chill down and have some cocoa.

Thn come over here to norway for a lesson about what winter means XD

• I really love the winter, I go specially to Norway for the snow since winter in our country is... rainy.

• For me its the short days... coming into work in the dark and leaving in the dark! It sucks! I hate daylight savings time way more than winter!

I actually don't mind winter for the most part... sitting out in the sunshine in a snowbank, with a bottle of wine and a fire in the back yard!

I don't even mind the snow shoveling... woohoo, free workout! We only have about 8 inches of snow and three foot high snow banks right now. So not much accumulations.

It was a balmy -15 degrees celsius (5 degrees F) when I went out to the barn this morning... even my horse wanted to cuddle LOL

• In this time of the year I have to appreciate the weather of Egypt 😛

• You forgot to shovel the snow. Be careful that you don't get sun burned by the snow.

Also, winter is really dry. Can cause nose bleed.

Also, gives random shock to people you just met.

On the bright side, you only need to open the window a little bit to keep your beers cold.

• And this is why I moved away from Michigan.

• Sounds like you need to move

• Awesome! We understand the pain of winter cuz we live in neighboring states! I tall to people on here and their like from Florida and say they'd like the winter and the snow. I laugh 😂

• Yeahhhhh. You get some lake effect snow too, shits the WORST. Imagine being surrounded by almost ALL of the lakes 😭

• Hahah I know it's far worse snow!

• I live in Canada. What's this "grass" everyone keeps referring to?

• I'm being told it naturally grows during summer, the season of sweating uncontrollably, heat stroke, extreme discomfort and the cause of many allergies. Grass, grows along with tons of undesired weeds that need picking in the hot, humid weather. These weeds which attract many types of bugs and "vampire flies". These bugs should disposed of with a flamethrower, if only the flamethrower didn't generate so much heat...

• Legend has it that when there isn't snow on the ground there is a "green hair" that replaces it. I've seen pictures of such things on the cover of musicals but fortunately have not had to experience the deadly heat that comes with actually seeing it. I know a guy who once rolled in the grass, he had to be taken to the emergency room and given an epi-pen. My best advice is that if you see grass, run the other way, without a doubt there will be overweight women wearing too small bikinis, white girls complaining about humidity and at least four obese American men declaring this a "good day for a bbq."

• More from Guys
    2

What Girls Said 15

• I've seen snow only once in my life.

Woo for A Red Christmas!!

Seriously, I want at least one white Christmas in my life.

• Lol It's funny that you mention moving south, we're expecting a snow storm here. Most news stations are saying to expect 8-12 inches and everyone is freaking out, schools have already been canceled for the next two days, news stations telling people to say inside and don't drive, everyone going crazy at grocery stores to prepare, etc. People here are basically like this:

s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/.../...14349fb550.jpg

media-cache-ak2.pinimg.com/.../...47fcfb8386ee.jpg

s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/.../...f111398909.jpg

• It better not friggin be snowy in Texas when I go in 15 days i sweeeeaaaarrrrr! I'm trying to ESCAPE the snow! 😭

• @Red_Arrow haha yeah. I'm in Virginia (central part of the state) so we do get snow every Winter but rarely a lot at one time such as with this winter storm that's approaching.

• Definitely looks like a bad one for you guys. Hope you fare well through it.

• I was born in winter.

• Dude get over it I'm Canadian and love every second of winter!

1) You need to learn to dress better or get a thicker coat that or suck it up. -45c then you can complain about the cold but that rarely happens and a good winter coat and a toque fixes everything.

2) Think about how much gas people waste just running the a/c in the summer.

3) I never feel that hit the slopes go for hot chocolate take a vitamin D supplement

4) Please stop driving in winter. It's the exact same as every other weather be aware of your surrounding and road conditions and bam not scary

5) I'll give you that one but I know when it's hotter than hell out there I'll be praying for snow! Especially when the bugs get bad

• Eh, tell me about it. xD
    I live in Canada, and snow here
    is like a nightmare. I thought I would like it,
    but now, I know why many people don't.

Even though it looks nice, pretty and romantic
    when it falls, its beauty soon proves to be
    deceiving. It is like a siren that attracts people
    and then kills them.

I would say it is good as long as you sit
    near a heater with a cup of hot drink and
    watch it from inside.

Although I like the skiing and the winter
    clothes part too. ^-^

• The worst part is most people don't adjust their driving in the winter.

• Why I think winter weather is actually the best:

i381.photobucket.com/.../image_9.jpg

• I live in Texas. What is this winter you speak of? It's 60 degrees out, and I'm in shorts in January and on Christmas day the humidity was so high, my guests were sweating as they came to and from their cars to bring in their holiday goods. But lest my smirk grow too big, I could write several pages on summer heat here. I'm pretty sure air conditioning was invented somewhere around here...

• Yeah summers in Texas have been pretty hot the past two years. And I was only there for a weekend at most. That's why Texas is moving goals.

• I might caution you that just like you complain about the winters where you are, that is how I feel about the summers. There have been many days where I have walked out of the house from an air conditioned building and found myself pooling in sweat not five minutes after. We have literally built nearly 8 miles of tunnels under our downtown just so the employees there can avoid having to walk out in the sun to get from building to building. And let your A/C go out. You WILL pay the 10,000$ or whatever to get that thing fixed, and repair people know it!

• Dude, it's baaaaddd. We've had, like, CLOUDS here. And there was water falling from the sky, the other day. End of days, I tells ya.

...

Mwaaahahahahahahhaa.

• 2|2
    • Oh my god I want to try this! How do you do it without freezing to death! I can barely walk down the street without feeling the chill!

• @Rebecca9090 Don't worry, most snowmobiles have warm engines ;)

• And you see why I like Summer better..😐😐

• Lmao I live in Canada
    I feel you

• The Canadian workout: wading through several feet of snow to get to class because no one clears the sidewalks.

• Oooh, yeah, it's illegal to not clear sidewalks here lol

• Oh my gosh, do you wear snowpants when you walk to work or school or whatever? :)

• @Rebecca9090 people normally shovel their sidewalks so I don't need to, usually. If necessary, one may always walk on the road.

• Meh, I kinda like winter :D

• Rofl! I couldn't agree more. Some people will never understand the pains!

• the struggle is reallll!

• What? You live that close to all the action and you do not ski? That would be as bad as having a beautiful body and covering it with clothes. Oh, wait. That is exactly what you do. (Of course I am not talking about in the middle of the winter. lol)

• @Red_Arrow I know! I have like 8 ski resorts within an hour of my house 🙈 I don't have anybody to go with