Nobody Is Forcing You To Live Up To "Society's" Expectations!

This article is going to be on the recurring theme I see in a lot of arguements regarding gender politics. The omnipotent, vague entity known as "society" always imposing it's expectations on.. well.. society. I'm sick of hearing this shit, and you probably are too.

Disclaimer: Slightly rushed, and I skimmed through the article for grammar and spell-checking so I apologise in advance for any mistakes.

Nobody is forcing you to live up to

First of all, who is this "society"?

It sounds eerily similar to the other various boogeymen of many conspiracy theorists, for example: "The Illuminati", "The Free Masons", "The Government" (This one isn't an unfalsifiable theory like the others but still a common scapegoat), "The Patriarchy"... you get the idea, right? A catchy name that you can use a scapegoat for all of life's woes. There doesn't even need to be actual physical evidence of this entity, you just need vague descriptions of how they affect society and the listener will then see "evidence" of this entity everywhere.

You have no obligation to adhere to "society's" expectations

Expect of course for the expectation of not murdering and stealing. But apart from the obvious, go wild! Wear a tin-foil hat! Be unhygienic! Be as hairy or bald as you please! You absolutely are allowed to do this stuff; Nobody is forcing you not to. Sure, people will give you strange looks but that is only a big deal if you make it that way.

A good role model for this philosophy is your friendly neighbourhood weirdo. You know who I'm talking about: The obese woman who rummages through bins, the old man who wears short shorts and nothing else, that one dude who wears leather clothes.. Look up to them for encouragement! Your hairy arms cannot be as bad as that old guy's left bollock poking out of his shorts.

"So if society isn't forcing me to obey it's expectations, then who is?"

*cue cliché drum-roll*.. YOU! That's right, you are the one actively forcing yourself to adhere to what you believe is "society's" expectations. You are the one who gives a fuck what "society" thinks. If you colour outside of the lines, then it is you who punishes yourself. If you see people laughing at you for crying then it is you who views that as a consequence of not staying in line with everyone else.

Take some responsibility over your life. Don't let people dictate what kind of person you are, to a reasonable extent of course. When you complain about society forcing it's expectations on you while at the same timme obeying, you sound like that in-the-closet brojock who doesn't put much effort into resisting the charms of the flaccid dicks surrounding him the shower.

Join the discussion

0/2500

Submit

What Girls Said 3

• Now by reading this, how shall we say, "rant", about not conforming, if I follow it, aren't I actually conforming to you telling me not to conform! You are a very part of the society who's rules you either claim not to follow or you want others not to follow, yet you're instructing us to follow your ideas. Even the weirdo down the block isn't as unique as you think if as you put it, "A good role model for this philosophy is your friendly neighbourhood weirdo. You know who I'm talking about." How could I know this type of person given that we probably live in different places, if there weren't already several of these type of people in existence. You see, this whole idea of uniqueness and non-conformity, and on and on aren't really all that unique. And then bottom like, if everyone goes to Starbucks and wears beige but you freakin' love Starbucks and wear beige, are you actually conforming or in actuality expressing you actual love for something... so yeah.

• Don't be mistaken, I conform to societal expectations. Or at least I try my best to.

This article is for those who complain about society dictating their lives as if it was an omni-potent entity, yet still conform.

Would you be conforming if you listened to what I say? Not really, I am not dictating how you should live. Or at least, not in the same way "society" (I use quotation marks to signify when I'm referring to the omni-potent magical being which dictates how everyone lives) does. I'm just saying that the only people who are stopping the readers from not conforming is themselves, and that their quirks are probably minimal in comparison to the neighbourhood weirdo (every place has one).

• I am not at all annoyed by your disagreement, in fact I welcome it. That's what the internet is for, right?

I'm only slightly annoyed at what I perceived as unnecessary sarcasm. If I misinterpreted you then I apologise. Happens all of the time.

• Apology accepted.

• "Nobody Is Forcing You To Live Up" that's totally ignorant to our biology. We're a social species. Conformity is in our genes, because not fitting in might get you excommunicated and in cavemen days, that's a death sentence.
    Being in a community holds a strong evolutionary advantage. Saying we should just not care, is like saying we should just not want sex. It's an instinct you can't just turn it off

• Society isn't a magical entity it's a collection of individuals and the obese women who rummages through bins probably gets periodically beaten, arrested and sectioned.

• I know society isn't a magical entity but people talk about it as if it is and use it as a scapegoat, which is the point I was trying to make.

You're right in your second paragraph but what I mean is you can be obese, old, wear weird clothes etc and still be comfortable with yourself

What Guys Said 7

• Hey now some societies accept murder and stealing as fundamental elements to it.

• www.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DCMVUhqdjHIM

You have 46 minutes with no obligations? Educate yourself with this awesome video! :)

• cool scene bro...

• Google Max Stirner, make yourself a plate of chocolate milk then continue

• There is someone controling the world but you would know who they are? It's not the illuminati because that would be stuipd. Tbh we humans have made it this far mabey the really know what there doing but we humans probably wouldn't understand.

• I like the premise of these take and will take some of it to heart but I may not go all the way of strolling around in short shorts - Good point, well made, I like the concept of you are "society".

• Good luck using this as defense in your Public Indecency trails.