YOLO? What Does That Even Mean...

I feel like writing this after an experience I had, I received a lesson and I'd like to share it

YOLO? What does that even mean...

So, I think we always hear the phrase: "live this day as if it was the last one" And all this #YOLO trend is a real thing and I honestly thought I was doing this, you know.. I try to get most of my days by doing adventures, challenging myself, trying new things as often as I can, etc.. etc..

Well, today I realised that it's not just about that, in fact, I've been freaking selfish this whole time and the funny this is that I thought I wasn't because, you know.. I've done a couple of 'nice' things, I've worked with people in need, I've volunteered myself several times to help others, I'm currently organising campaigns to help those that are living in extreme poverty. I've always felt that these are rewarding things to do, they feel right and all that, and they are indeed good, but.. I just feel it's not enough..we are meant to be the best version of ourselves and you know what that is? It's not just about getting good grades, It's not about trying new things or running a marathon, being the best version of yourself is also caring about for the people around you.

How many times a day do you ask your friends how they are and you actually mean it? How many times do you compliment someone? How many times do you look at somebody in the eyes and listen to how their day was? How many times do you hug your friends? How often do you talk to those friends that live in other cities/countries to simply ask how they are doing? If you do this things often, congrats. I personally didn't do this that often, or at least not enough and thing is, you never know when you are gonna be able to talk to the people you meet again. So, now all that YOLO thing has a different meaning to me, it's also about talking to someone as if it was the last time you would see them, giving them 110% of your energy because they deserve it, we are all special and all of your friends need to know that

You know that feeling when you wake up, you look through the window and is a sunny day outside, you are thinking what to wear, so you go out with your shorts and a shirt, but suddenly it starts to rain and it gets cold.. You miss the sun so much, specially because you were not prepared... But the feeling is a bit different when you have a raincoat on your bag, maybe the rain surprises you and although you do miss the sun, you have that raincoat to protect you in the rain and somehow you feel like you brought what was necessary.

Don't go outside without that raincoat, it's made by all the nice things you can do for the people you know and you don't know, its made with all those words you can tell them to make them feel special. You never know when you'll lose someone, never, it can happen so fast, it's so unexpected, so don't take things for granted and don't let the past define your actions, if things didn't end up good with someone at some point, don't let it stay like that, don't erase people that, at some point, were important to you.

that's what I wanted to share, hope u liked it. thanks for reading✌️

Join the discussion

0/2500

Submit

What Guys Said 10

• Unless... You're this guy.
    i0.kym-cdn.com/.../c0f.jpg

• Damned if I know when I first heard someone say it I was like what the heck is that some kind of snack? lol. Anyway still despise the word but I liked and respect your mytake on it, it's a more mature perspective on the word and call me old fashioned but I still prefer this over yolo

carpe diem quam minimum credula postero which is Latin translated it means this.

seize the day put no trust in the marrow

And while this is completely irrelevant I love this Latin motto of my state of Kansas which is another meaningful Latin phrase.

Ad Astra Per Aspera
    To the Stars through Difficulty

• haha yeah its such a random word xD I honestly dont use it lol but I've always lived under the philosophy of living every day with passion and all that and since this yolo thing is what the majority of people listen to nowadays I thought I could put some of my perspectives on it :P thanks for reading and I loved those phrases u put there, they COMPLETELY relate to some stuff Im living atm, so thanks for sharing that :)

• Haha yeah tell me about it, and yeah that's good and that's a good philosophy to live under for the most part, kind of shows in your username lol. And yeah that was a good idea to use it to get your point/perspective across. You're welcome and thank you, glad you liked them and could relate to them :) hard to beat Latin when it comes to wise quotes that almost anyone can relate to.

• I feel like YOLO can be interpreted two ways: you only live once, so you should be careful to cherish your one chance at life; or, you only live once, so you should do whatever the heck you want because you won't get another opportunity.
    Personally, I think the second one's stupid, so I live by the first one. I'm not going to chop off my leg because I only have one life to do it in, 'cause then it'll be gone and I'll be sad.

• I think you took 4 letters a bit seriously.

• I like this interpretation but we all now how it's mostly (mis) used :P

• Here I thought it was just meaningless kiddy talk. Well written; I will now have to respect anyone who says "YOLO" as more than a teenage cretin.

• I usually figure that if I only live once, then I have to be very careful with my life since I won't get any do-overs.

I mean, it is ironic really, the whole Yolo thing comes from games where you instantly re-incarnate. Makes absolutely no sense in real life.

• Y-O-L-O is a acronym commonly used by young people.

Which means - You only live once

• I know what it means lol, I'm just seeing it from a different perspective coz I don't know sometimes I feel like this whole idea makes u become a bit selfish, or at least I think I was being selfish and yeah, I just felt like sharing my new view on this 😛

• I like your interpretation of YOLO - It is better than the current selfish take on it

• Yolo is the Carpe Diem of the reckless and irresponsible.

What Girls Said 3

• i don't know but it's in a french movie

• Life is short. You don't know when your time is up. That's what is means for me.

• Thank you for sharing this. That's exactly what I needed today.
    Especially this part : " if things didn't end up good with someone at some point, don't let it stay like that, don't erase people that, at some point, were important to you."...
    That's what's happening to me.

• I'm glad to hear it helped!
      Yeah, I think that's very important, take it from someone that made a a big mistake :)
      Hope everything goes well!

• Thank you :) I will take it.

I also hope everything goes well with you :)