Things People Say To Those Who Don't Drink

1. "But like... why?"

Because I don't want to. Alcohol is not appealing to me. The smell isn't appealing, therefore the taste doesn't seem appealing either. The aftermath of consuming too much isn't appealing. The idea of losing some (or a lot of) control over my body, or blacking out entirely, is scary to me. The idea of basically throwing away money and consuming a lot of unnecessary calories isn't appealing. In my opinion there's just really not anything about alcohol that, for me, seems beneficial.

2. "Oh... so you don't like partying?"

I actually do. You can party without alcohol. I mean, I don't party a whole lot because I'm more of an introvert and I tend to feel overwhelmed sometimes. But in general I do like dressing up, going out with my friends, dancing, having fun, talking and laughing. It's just that at a certain point at every party, you notice everyone getting maybe a little too drunk, so as a sober person it gets harder to enjoy the atmosphere. At that point I usually go home, because I feel like I won't really be missing out on anything else than people being overly dramatic, puking, and hearing the same story for the 10th time. People most likely won't notice you leaving anyway. I prefer it this way. I can enjoy a nice evening out and then peaceafully go home to enjoy a snack and an episode of my favorite show before going to bed.

3. "I think everyone should get drunk at least once."

Ok. Good for you. I don't. I don't see the point in doing that. I genuinely don't feel like doing it, so why should I force myself to do something I have 0 interest in?

4. "You sure you don't want a taste?"

Yes. I'm sure. It would have happened by now if I was unsure.

5. "OMG! I gotta be there when you get your first drink/when you get wasted for the first time!"

... what? What part of "I don't drink" did you not understand? There's not going to be a first drink, being drunk for the first time or the first hangover. It's not something I'm going to do.

6. "Wow you're really admirable, I respect you so much, I could never do it, what an achievement..."

Usually said by someone who's extremely drunk. Thank you, I guess. But it's not really an achievement to abstain from something you've never even experienced, or don't feel the need to experience. Of course it's difficult to refrain from doing something you enjoy doing and have done multiple times. But for me, as someone who's completely and utterly repulsed by alcohol, it's not really an achievement. It's like congratulating someone for not wanting to eat spicy food because they don't enjoy it.

7. "You must be so fun at parties..."

Actually, yes. I don't need alcohol in order to have fun, or be funny. In my opinion it's actually kind of sad to hide behind alcohol. I like to be able to loosen up naturally. Getting tipsy in order to loosen up or to have fun just seems fake to me, and not as enjoyable.

8. "What a prude..."

Yes. That's exactly why I'm here, at the party. Because I'm prude. I'm not here to actually enjoy myself or anything. I just want everyone to know exactly how prude I am and during the entire night I'm just going to silently hover in this corner right here, with my glass of water, and judge every single one of you for drinking that disgusting devil poison. How dare all of you drink in my presence. I'm offended. I'm actually hurt. Barbarians!

lumos is a GirlsAskGuys Editor
Who are Editors?

Join the discussion

0/2500

Submit
Sponsored

What Guys Said 40

• Your forgot 'There's a first time for everything.'

• Exactly! But it's an unpopular opinion.. most people don't seem to understand people that don't like drinking..
    I don't like because of the taste, but mostly because of the feel of not being able to breathe properly because of the alcohol. I gasp for air, and that reminds me of asthma. Definitely not my idea of "fun".. and I also have a hard time understanding those who enjoy and take pleasure in drinking.. especially when some of them them themselves make bitter faces while drinking it, as if they have to prove something to themselves... like "I'm big enough to handle this!!" kind of thinking..

• I have never had a drink in my life either. And there have been friends/acquaintances who have said they are making it their mission to get me drunk. And, of course, I tell them "good luck with that".
    I am an introvert myself when at a huge party too, but I sometimes find it funny to watch my friends make fools of themselves and I can still remember it the next day. I can remember one time a girl flashed some guys cause she was so drunk (and high I think) then two of her "friends" took advantage of that situation (nothing dangerous) and I was there to see that happen.

I commend you for your commitment to stay alcohol-free your 'entire' life. And thank you for letting me know that I am not the only one like this out there in the world.

Great job as always.

• Lool same. It's kinda funny to see people being drunk, but have never drank myself though.
      They laugh about literally everything, their jokes are horrible but laugh at themselves XDD
      And the next day they dont know anything of it anymore indeed lol

• I dislike it for all of the reasons you've mentioned but especially the taste and the idea of losing control. Only difference is that I have actually given it a try a few times. It tasted about as bad as I thought it would, not like disguesting bad just bitter and unpleasant. Also all it did was make me feel kinda sleepy hazy. So I just dont see the incentive for me to drink it. It is pretty annoying tho since most other people do :/

• I like drinking on ocassion, but I don't "have to" drink all weekends like many do, or every week for that matter. I have heard many of friends and aqquaintances repeating these same lines to me and to others.

Seems it's beyond some people that you don't have to throw all your money away on booze to have a good time. And many do it for mere peer pressure and to fit into other groups. I've noticed people getting into it that are not really enjoying themselves, and when they do eventually, is because they have been secludrd from other types of entertainment and mostly, from their own individuality.

Don't be a people pleaser and drink wherever you feel like it and whenever you want to, if ever.

• i hate half of those. the 1 i hate most is when people talk about how shitfaced they got and how they can't remember anything and how sick they get. it's like "i don't care". and then they talk about how their tolerance has gone down. this wouldn't be so much of a problem if not for the fact that i never drank and the 2 or 3 times i have, i literally drank everyone under the table easily. i'm like, how the hell can i, who has never drank before, be able to outdrink all y'all? it's like, people are the biggest exaggerators or pussies. i don't get it

• I think it's just because lots of people love to exaggerate. I have people in my family who've gotten wasted off of one beer. Or even one shot in a cousin's case. And they weren't small people at all. Almost everyone was overweight actually.

• @SakuraCherryBlossoms i think people are just light weights when it comes to drinking. i also only drink whiskey and rum. i can't stand any other kind of alcohol

• Wow amazing take I feel the same way.
    People always tell me that it's an acquired taste even though I've tried many types and never liked it.
    People also ask if I'm underage or do it out of some sort of religious obligation.
    Gets really annoying.

• I think you would like this video...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zx5FoDSc-0U

• I feel like we've lived the same life when it comes to alcohol. I've heard all of these things too. Someone has actually asked me how I relax before as if getting high or drinking with friends is the only way for human beings to relax and unwind.

Very nice take again Lumos 👍🏼

• Exactly, I've heard lots of these phrases, almost every weekend, on various parties, in the clubs etc... good Take.

• It gets annoying haha. Curiosity is fine. Getting questioned/interrogated is not.

• I agree, lol :D

• I would say that an appropriate response for some of these would be "I would never pressure you to not drink. Why are you pressuring me to drink?" Likewise, a similar response for many of the rest would be "I don't judge people for drinking. Why do you judge me for not drinking?" There's no reason to allow someone to put you on the defensive for choosing not to do something.

• At my sister's wedding reception my brother-in-law was too cheap to pay the additional deposit required to serve alcohol, so it was dry. But everyone had a great time, and the DJ said that if he had just walked in off the the street he would have sworn everyone was drunk. So you don't need it to have a good time.

I say as I sit here with my beer...

• There is such a thing as alcohol intolerance too (like lactose intolerance) so some people can't drink alcohol.

Since getting my wisdom teeth removed I've noticed that my jaws pain slightly the day after drinking. So I'll be cutting back how much I drink for now.

• It is interesting to get drunk... Once.

Otherwise, I definitely agree. If you need to be drunk to enjoy a party, then that party sucks. If you think you need alcohol to think you are socially acceptable and otherwise you are not fun and people hate you, then newsflash but you hate yourself.

I drink every now and then with a specific rule, I drink only if it's high quality drink, and the letters on the bottle are Cyrillic. But I don't drink to get drunk. Not anymore. Did that only once when I was 17 out of curiosity. Now I know the answer, that's enough for me.

• I wouldn't be able to get drunk due to my anxiety concerning losing control (over my body). Your rules are pretty cool though :P

• The biggest thing to me is that it doesn't matter how responsible you are; someone else mistake could really screw you. Like if you have a tail light out or something it's all on you. Someone hits you and you're intoxicated = game over. It's just not worth it

• Regarding point 1:

That's not the only way to drink alcohol. You don't have to have an aftermath if you don't want to. People who know their limit keep themselves to a couple of drinks to avoid that ugliness.

It's not unlike coffee or tea... an acquired taste. I hated anything that wasn't super sweet when I was a kid, but over time and experimentation I came to appreciate good alcohol. Fine wine, good company, and great food is a delight.

2l5x46pbvje3bhyi613c3guc.wpengine.netdna-cdn.com/.../IMG_0713.jpg

I'm not trying to change your mind and convince you to do something you don't want to do, just give some perspective.

• I know. But that doesn't change the fact that I still think the smell/taste is terrible. And you know, how it's kind of expected to at least get tipsy at parties if you drink. The aftermath is only one of maaaany reasons why I don't drink, even if it's not something that happens every time you drink. Things get out of hand pretty easily, lots of my friends have gotten drunk even though they didn't intend to. Like you kinda lose track of how many drinks you've had etc.

• I agree with this take. My friends are constantly wanting me to use things like MDMA, crack, heroine or even marijuana. I have tried things like this in the past and ended up psychotic. I can sympathize with that feeling of being the party pooper in the room.

• One I often heard: "People who don't drink are sociopaths." :-P
    I've known managers saying "I don't want a guy who doesn't drink"

• It's about time someone wrote about this, I drink at all.

• My step father let me drink a half filled shot glass when I was about eight or nine and...
    yeah, you're not missing anything, it smells terrible and tastes worse.

• More from Guys
    20

What Girls Said 20

• lets put religion aside for a sec ( coz my religion doesn't allow drinking) ... I must say I can't agree more with every single thing u wrote... Its funny how some people think that if u dont drink, then u aren't fun at all, or that u lost all the " party time "

• Sometimes I'm glad I don't tangle with the types of social circles a lot of gaggers seem to be near. I drink a lot. My friends drink a lot. But then I also have friends that don't drink at all and we all hang out all the time. We don't pressure anyone to drink or make snide comments, and tbh whenever I go to parties that offer other recreational substances, and I decline, no one pressures me and they're quite respectful of my wish to abstain.

Though on the reverse, I've caught a lot more flak from non drinkers. They tend to be a lot more judgmental and rude about drinking, as if not drinking puts them on a higher moral standing and gives them the automatic right to condescend to the poor plebs that succumb to their moral failing of just wanting to drink a beer.

• Yup! People who love to inebriate themselves just don't get how some people can have an outstanding time by just being themselves... xD

• Haha, heard most of these comments last weekend. "Ohhhh, can we get you drunk for the first time? I want to see how you act." Okay, cool, I don't. :)

• My boyfriend has experience in this.
    Because he started drinking so young and so hard his liver is stuffed. He physically can no longer drink abd he's only nineteen.

So now when he goes out he has to tell people why he's not drinking when everyone else is.

"So you go to a party and you... you dont... drink. So you go, you go to a party and dont... you go to a party and dont drink, you dont drink"
    Essentially their reaction.

Alcohol is such an integral part of the community in Australia, there's even a thing where if you haven't at least had a sip of something alcoholic by the time you're sixteen (legal age is eighteen) then you are not Australian.
    Nobody is being serious when they say that of course. Its on the same wave length as us telling anyone who doesn't like Vegemite that theyre 'unAustralian'.
    (I freakin hate Vegemite. The taste, the smell ugh. Horrible)

• I rarely hear any of these things, because I'm enough of a ditzface blabbermouth that everyone thinks I'm drunk anyway! #partysober #therealcoolkids

Srsly tho

• Great take.

• I enjoy alcohol. A lot. But I also like to party and go to clubs and all that BS but I take no judgement in anyone that doesn't drink or want to drink. To each their own and I have never looked down on anyone that chooses not to do it.

• I don't drink alcohol and never will, I can relate so hard to this.

• Lol, yeah, it's so true :D

• Love this. I have never drank and I will never drink.

• i am ok with alcohol... I can drink when i am with out with friends or boyfriend.
    But i never drink it on my own and dont even want to...

There should be golden middle in everything

• Hey, people say that too me all the time! except im fun.

• or "it's fun. You'd love it." I just don't like alcohol for personal reasons. Don't like the smell. Taste or anything.

• Yes I have heard all of those & some more I don't remember.

• Wow I loved this! I don't drink and this is 100% accurate to me! Thanks for sharing !

• Always had the worry that I'll become too dependent on alcohol, so I've descided to abstain except for special ocassions

• I don't drink cause i simply don't like the taste but my grandparent don't understand and keep forcing to drink when we have lunch together

• That's a shame. :/

• Yes, they don't understand I really hate the taste. They always try to convince me to drink. When really, what's the problem to not drink?

• I don't drink.

• You forgot #1 - "Hey, will you be our DD?" 😘