Things People Say To Those Who Don't Drink

1. "But like... why?"

Because I don't want to. Alcohol is not appealing to me. The smell isn't appealing, therefore the taste doesn't seem appealing either. The aftermath of consuming too much isn't appealing. The idea of losing some (or a lot of) control over my body, or blacking out entirely, is scary to me. The idea of basically throwing away money and consuming a lot of unnecessary calories isn't appealing. In my opinion there's just really not anything about alcohol that, for me, seems beneficial.

2. "Oh... so you don't like partying?"

I actually do. You can party without alcohol. I mean, I don't party a whole lot because I'm more of an introvert and I tend to feel overwhelmed sometimes. But in general I do like dressing up, going out with my friends, dancing, having fun, talking and laughing. It's just that at a certain point at every party, you notice everyone getting maybe a little too drunk, so as a sober person it gets harder to enjoy the atmosphere. At that point I usually go home, because I feel like I won't really be missing out on anything else than people being overly dramatic, puking, and hearing the same story for the 10th time. People most likely won't notice you leaving anyway. I prefer it this way. I can enjoy a nice evening out and then peaceafully go home to enjoy a snack and an episode of my favorite show before going to bed.

3. "I think everyone should get drunk at least once."

Ok. Good for you. I don't. I don't see the point in doing that. I genuinely don't feel like doing it, so why should I force myself to do something I have 0 interest in?

4. "You sure you don't want a taste?"

Yes. I'm sure. It would have happened by now if I was unsure.

5. "OMG! I gotta be there when you get your first drink/when you get wasted for the first time!"

... what? What part of "I don't drink" did you not understand? There's not going to be a first drink, being drunk for the first time or the first hangover. It's not something I'm going to do.

6. "Wow you're really admirable, I respect you so much, I could never do it, what an achievement..."

Usually said by someone who's extremely drunk. Thank you, I guess. But it's not really an achievement to abstain from something you've never even experienced, or don't feel the need to experience. Of course it's difficult to refrain from doing something you enjoy doing and have done multiple times. But for me, as someone who's completely and utterly repulsed by alcohol, it's not really an achievement. It's like congratulating someone for not wanting to eat spicy food because they don't enjoy it.

7. "You must be so fun at parties..."

Actually, yes. I don't need alcohol in order to have fun, or be funny. In my opinion it's actually kind of sad to hide behind alcohol. I like to be able to loosen up naturally. Getting tipsy in order to loosen up or to have fun just seems fake to me, and not as enjoyable.

8. "What a prude..."

Yes. That's exactly why I'm here, at the party. Because I'm prude. I'm not here to actually enjoy myself or anything. I just want everyone to know exactly how prude I am and during the entire night I'm just going to silently hover in this corner right here, with my glass of water, and judge every single one of you for drinking that disgusting devil poison. How dare all of you drink in my presence. I'm offended. I'm actually hurt. Barbarians!

lumos is a GirlsAskGuys Editor
Who are Editors?

Join the discussion

0/2500

Submit

What Guys Said 40

• Your forgot 'There's a first time for everything.'

• Wow amazing take I feel the same way.
    People always tell me that it's an acquired taste even though I've tried many types and never liked it.
    People also ask if I'm underage or do it out of some sort of religious obligation.
    Gets really annoying.

• People are just sheeple.

• It is interesting to get drunk... Once.

Otherwise, I definitely agree. If you need to be drunk to enjoy a party, then that party sucks. If you think you need alcohol to think you are socially acceptable and otherwise you are not fun and people hate you, then newsflash but you hate yourself.

I drink every now and then with a specific rule, I drink only if it's high quality drink, and the letters on the bottle are Cyrillic. But I don't drink to get drunk. Not anymore. Did that only once when I was 17 out of curiosity. Now I know the answer, that's enough for me.

• I wouldn't be able to get drunk due to my anxiety concerning losing control (over my body). Your rules are pretty cool though :P

• One I often heard: "People who don't drink are sociopaths." :-P
    I've known managers saying "I don't want a guy who doesn't drink"

• I feel like we've lived the same life when it comes to alcohol. I've heard all of these things too. Someone has actually asked me how I relax before as if getting high or drinking with friends is the only way for human beings to relax and unwind.

Very nice take again Lumos 👍🏼

• Yeah for sure. I have friends who don't like to drink and I get on them about it, but it is what it is and obviously their choice.

• "dont you like partying"? fuck no. i hate it. "you must be fun at parties" i hope i'm not.

so society tells you in a few words: " you are not a societal fucktard that wastes its health, money and time like us?"
    fuck no i'm not. i usually answer to them im an athlete.

• My replies:

1. Why? I don't want to. Plus, alcohol taste is one of most disgusting.

2. Actually I don't.

3. I did get drunk.

4. I told you I did, geez.

5. I drank quite a lot for a first timer and I did not get wasted. Joke's on you! Yeah I felt little light in head but I did not get wasted.

6. Really? REALLY?

7. I am not. Deal with it 8)

8. K.

• have you done any recreational drugs?

drugs are ok in moderation.

=)

• Hahaha great take

• I would say that an appropriate response for some of these would be "I would never pressure you to not drink. Why are you pressuring me to drink?" Likewise, a similar response for many of the rest would be "I don't judge people for drinking. Why do you judge me for not drinking?" There's no reason to allow someone to put you on the defensive for choosing not to do something.

• Just tell them something like "What's the matter-you don't know how to enjoy life unless you're shitfaced?" or something to that effect. They're the losers, not you. I've never been a big drinker. Not much at all most of my life, though I did have a job as a wine consultant a couple of times (I know my stuff and have a knack for selling it). But I've had too many alcoholics in my life and I've pretty much come to hate them, so you're in good company.

• My step father let me drink a half filled shot glass when I was about eight or nine and...
    yeah, you're not missing anything, it smells terrible and tastes worse.

• Haha, great Take!

I get number six most often, which is funny because my thyroid disease dictates that I cannot drink alcohol. Like, it's literally not an achievement whatsoever, but people act like I'm freakin' Mother Teresa sometimes.

• You're missing out. Good bottle of XO Brandy, roasted duck, and a dunhill cigarette under the city lights to people watch is one of the most enjoyable experiences I've ever had in life.

• What you find enjoyable is not what everyone else finds enjoyable.

• @colinharvey i know right, it's so funny to be sober and watch how much stupid shit people do after drinking that. I saw one pick a fistfight with a garbag can once, the garbage can won.

• I've heard none of these. It's usually just "okay".

• I get those reactions when I tell people I don't drink.

Well put.

• I sometimes explain why I drink to people who have such unnuanced views of it. But convince them to do the same? Nope. Done that it in the past and it only leads to frustration on both sides.

• Regarding point 1:

That's not the only way to drink alcohol. You don't have to have an aftermath if you don't want to. People who know their limit keep themselves to a couple of drinks to avoid that ugliness.

It's not unlike coffee or tea... an acquired taste. I hated anything that wasn't super sweet when I was a kid, but over time and experimentation I came to appreciate good alcohol. Fine wine, good company, and great food is a delight.

2l5x46pbvje3bhyi613c3guc.wpengine.netdna-cdn.com/.../IMG_0713.jpg

I'm not trying to change your mind and convince you to do something you don't want to do, just give some perspective.

• I know. But that doesn't change the fact that I still think the smell/taste is terrible. And you know, how it's kind of expected to at least get tipsy at parties if you drink. The aftermath is only one of maaaany reasons why I don't drink, even if it's not something that happens every time you drink. Things get out of hand pretty easily, lots of my friends have gotten drunk even though they didn't intend to. Like you kinda lose track of how many drinks you've had etc.

• More from Guys
    20

What Girls Said 20

• Yup! People who love to inebriate themselves just don't get how some people can have an outstanding time by just being themselves... xD

• I don't drink alcohol and never will, I can relate so hard to this.

• My boyfriend has experience in this.
    Because he started drinking so young and so hard his liver is stuffed. He physically can no longer drink abd he's only nineteen.

So now when he goes out he has to tell people why he's not drinking when everyone else is.

"So you go to a party and you... you dont... drink. So you go, you go to a party and dont... you go to a party and dont drink, you dont drink"
    Essentially their reaction.

Alcohol is such an integral part of the community in Australia, there's even a thing where if you haven't at least had a sip of something alcoholic by the time you're sixteen (legal age is eighteen) then you are not Australian.
    Nobody is being serious when they say that of course. Its on the same wave length as us telling anyone who doesn't like Vegemite that theyre 'unAustralian'.
    (I freakin hate Vegemite. The taste, the smell ugh. Horrible)

• Great take.

• Always had the worry that I'll become too dependent on alcohol, so I've descided to abstain except for special ocassions

• lets put religion aside for a sec ( coz my religion doesn't allow drinking) ... I must say I can't agree more with every single thing u wrote... Its funny how some people think that if u dont drink, then u aren't fun at all, or that u lost all the " party time "

• I don't drink cause i simply don't like the taste but my grandparent don't understand and keep forcing to drink when we have lunch together

• That's a shame. :/

• Yes, they don't understand I really hate the taste. They always try to convince me to drink. When really, what's the problem to not drink?

• i am ok with alcohol... I can drink when i am with out with friends or boyfriend.
    But i never drink it on my own and dont even want to...

There should be golden middle in everything

• Love this. I have never drank and I will never drink.

• I don't drink.

• I enjoy alcohol. A lot. But I also like to party and go to clubs and all that BS but I take no judgement in anyone that doesn't drink or want to drink. To each their own and I have never looked down on anyone that chooses not to do it.

• Lol, yeah, it's so true :D

• or "it's fun. You'd love it." I just don't like alcohol for personal reasons. Don't like the smell. Taste or anything.

• Sometimes I'm glad I don't tangle with the types of social circles a lot of gaggers seem to be near. I drink a lot. My friends drink a lot. But then I also have friends that don't drink at all and we all hang out all the time. We don't pressure anyone to drink or make snide comments, and tbh whenever I go to parties that offer other recreational substances, and I decline, no one pressures me and they're quite respectful of my wish to abstain.

Though on the reverse, I've caught a lot more flak from non drinkers. They tend to be a lot more judgmental and rude about drinking, as if not drinking puts them on a higher moral standing and gives them the automatic right to condescend to the poor plebs that succumb to their moral failing of just wanting to drink a beer.

• I rarely hear any of these things, because I'm enough of a ditzface blabbermouth that everyone thinks I'm drunk anyway! #partysober #therealcoolkids

Srsly tho

• Wow I loved this! I don't drink and this is 100% accurate to me! Thanks for sharing !

• Yes I have heard all of those & some more I don't remember.

• You forgot #1 - "Hey, will you be our DD?" 😘

• Hey, people say that too me all the time! except im fun.

• Haha, heard most of these comments last weekend. "Ohhhh, can we get you drunk for the first time? I want to see how you act." Okay, cool, I don't. :)