In the same way that I am not old enough to remember how big a deal it was to witness stuff like the death of JFK, moon landing, Michael Jackson, Madonna, John Lennon, Bruce Lee, or the Berlin Wall and Soviet Union falling down, I want to share things that I remember.
I am 29 and i feel like i am the last generation that will know and remember what the world was like before the internet and smartphone and social media disrupted the world and destroyed humans.
I am the last people that remember the pre-digital world.
1. I remember playing with a typewriter at my mum's office that has those alphabet stick thing that shoot forward when you press on the alphabet key, and if you press them all at once, (which was so much fun), they all get jammed, and your fingers get dirty with ink if you touch anything above the keyboard.
2. I remember using a telephone where you actually have to stick your index finger into a dial and dial in a circular motion and wait for that diiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii thing to return to the 0 position before you can dial another number in order to make a phone call.
3. I remember being overseas and the only way to communicate with your best friend is by writing a letter. International calls were too expensive and email existed, but your friend's parents wasn't rich enough to have a PC at home so no one used emails to communicate.
4. I remember my cousin having an expensive PC at home that wouldn't do anything unless you can remember how to type in the command for MS-DOS to start a game or start windows, in other words, anything that happens after c:\
5. I remember using a cassette tape and a VHS tape for audio and video. I remember those two little square sponge in a cassette tape. I remember sticking my finger in that hole in a cassette to roll the tape back into position.
6. I know what is, and have bought and used, a MiniDisc player, and thought it was the coolest gadget ever. (I bet 90% of young people don't know what is a MD player)
7. I have seen and used my dad's LaserDisc player. (I bet 99% of young people doesn't even know LaserDisc existed)
8. I distinctively remember that sound that a 56k modem make when they are dialing and especially when they fail to dial, that doot-doot-doot-doot-doot sound.
9. I remember in 1997, seeing the Titanic movie poster for the first time, and thought, "what's this movie?" and I and everyone else have never heard of Leonardo DiCaprio and Kate Winslet.
10. I remember, the Titanic movie, being on everyone's lips and minds for weeks and months on end, I remember hearing about a girl in Italy who has seen the movie for like 52 times and it was a bragging right to tell people how many times you have seen Titanic more than they have.
11. I first learn about David Beckham as being the guy who scored a goal against Wimbledon from the half-way line and got a red card for kicking Diego Simone in the 1998 World Cup, and not the superstar guy that everyone knows nowadays.
12. I remember a time in 1999 when I had come across a computer in the school library that looks perculiar to me at the time, as in, why doesn't this computer run windows? and how do you use it and what does it do? what's this funny PC brand that I have never heard of? and why does the mouse only has one button? mehhh...this thing sucks, it doesn't do anything, no one understand it or uses it.
Turns out, I realized years later that, that computer was in fact the original 1984 Apple Macintosh.
That's all I can remember for now, I will try to add more in the next few days.