Pure Mittengan.

Or, otherwise known as, in a non-failed attempt at a play on words: Pure Michigan.

The hand shaped state. The fly-over state. The "butt buddies with Canada" state (literally probably nobody else refers to it like this, but I'm inserting it anyways). The state packed full to the brim with Polaks. The state that holds my home, Beer City USA.

Pure Mittengan.

It's no secret that I do not like living here. I'm not a fan of the almost permanent winter we experience, I'm not a fan of how we don't get as many events happening in our state as a lot of others do. I'm not a fan of how I feel stifled growth-wise. But I can't deny that Michigan is a pretty good state, even with all of the negatives I personally feel towards it.

Sure, we have Detroit and Flint.

Seriously, I wish that was an exaggeration. Last time I went to Detroit (en route to Canada), I was taking pictures of old burned builidngs and the like. Was only outside of my car for maybe two minutes before someone was approaching me, shouting words I couldn't even understand and making me feel straight up threatened. Back into the car I went.

But then...we also have Grand Rapids

In short, it's full of breweries. It's where we hold the biggest art festival that this state has ever had: Art Prize. It's home to Van Andel Arena, and every summer Blues on the Mall gets put on. Downtown we have Rosa Parks Circle - a place where concerts take place, we drop a ball during New Years, and many Rob Bliss events have happened.

It's the city I call home, finding comfort in the West Side and old bars like 6th Street Hall and The Casino Club. But it's not the only city I know well in this winter apparalled state of mine.

We have beaches, in Grand Haven / Muskegon

THE place to go when you want to go to the beach. You head to Grand Haven and, when you see how packed it is (duh, it's the place to go), you head to Ludington or find a small beach in Muskegon. But like Grand Rapids, Grand Haven is full of festivals and carnivals and little events that make it a lively place in the summer.

You have Coast Guard, for example. The little city becomes packed. You can't breathe without directly inhaling someone else's just released exhale. You have Boobs and Tubes (which has relocated, so no longer in Muskegon) - where you tube down the river with buddies and you get wasted on craft beer, basically.

It also makes my little photographer heart soar with glee, because everything from the city to Lake Michigan is beautiful and full of photo opoortunities. I've yet to see a sunset at the Pier, but one of these days.

For lengths sake, I'll keep it t the three areas I've highlighted. I could go on more about Traverse City, Ann Arbor and Kalamazoo. But I think I've covered the ones I know best. I know the day I leave Michigan will be bittersweet. I'll be leaving behind everything I've ever known - the comfort of family and big cities, the knowledge of where to go and what place will bring me happiness in times of stress. Having the ability to go from city to country in 20 minutes flat.

But I'll be glad to be moving forward, and forging a life for myself elsewhere. Michigan is a great city to visit and for some, to live. I won't deny you that. But it just isn't for this wanderer.

* This MyTake was inspired by @charismatic110 's Take 75: An Ode to Philadelphia

teawrecks is a GirlsAskGuys Editor
Who are Editors?

Join the discussion

0/2500

Submit

What Guys Said 7

• Hehe... I approve of this Take. *ichigan sucks.

• I'm from Michigan and this was a good take, definatly not the best state to live in but it's one of the best looking

• That must be so weird, going to the beach, but it's not salt water😯
    media.giphy.com/media/5aLrlDiJPMPFS/giphy.gif

• Why is it weird to ho to a beach on a lake

• @funny_strange_man Not seriously, I'm just busting her balls. But kinda seriously, though, who does that? I grew up by the ocean, so beach will always = ocean to me. I get that the Great Lakes are huge bodies of water, I get that any sandy area on the edge of a body of water is technically a beach... but to me the beach also has that saltiness to the air, and obviously salt water. Not saying it's not legit, but it's very foreign to me. Where I live now is inland, we have a pond with a "beach" that people swim in, but if we say we're "going to the beach", we'd never mean that pond, that means we're driving 2 1/2 hours to the coast. Just semantics, really.

• @WhiteSteve I consider the beach to be on a lake or ocean and I have never lived by an ocean.

• You must be from the country. Michigan is far and away the best State ever. I have been to 42 and have yet to find one I would rather live in (although NY, NY would be my 2nd choice if I was rich).
    Sure you don't go walking through the back streets of Detroit alone but it isn't that bad. I used to work down there in lawn care when I was young and as long as you were gone by dark you were fine.
    I live in Sterling Heights, about 20 miles north of Detroit. Awesome city in an awesome state. We have a ton of things here in Michigan. And as soon as we get rid of the Piece of shit Republican Governor, and get a proper Democrat in office, we will be even better.

• Nah not from the country, I've lived in a suburb 10 minutes away from downtown my whole life

• hmmm.. anyone that close to Detroit should not have such a messed up view of it. ALthough I guess I did when I was your age...

• Sorry, apparently you didn't fully read the take and stopped after the Detroit part to leave a comment. When I say I've lived in a suburb 10 minutes away from downtown my whole life, I'm referring to downtown Grand Rapids.

• HEY FUCK YOU MICHIGAN IS THE BEST STATE IN THE UNION ain't NOWHERE WORTH GOIN IF IT ain't IN THE MITTEN

MICHIGAN NATIONALISTS UNITE GO BLUUUUUUUUE OWH OWH OWH

• Then there's also Illinoise, which is a name of a Sufjan Stevens album.

• I like the sound of being able to go from the city to country so quick - I not entirely comfortable in big cities but not in the country either so having a place with a quick transition sounds ideal - The lakes sound lovely - When someone says Michigan to me I always think of the lakes and maybe woodlands - I must admit I wasn't too sure where Detroit was - Grand Rapids sounds good with all the breweries sounds good - I wouldn't be the biggest fan of nightlife but a quality craft beer in a nice pub sounds ideal to a person like me.

What Girls Said 5

• My sister is at University of Michigan and my brother just accepted his acceptance there.
    Hopefully I'll get to visit!

• Fellow Michigander! I agree, I hate it here.

• I also have a love-hate relationship with Michigan.
    I love the fact that you can see cities and rural areas easily. I love Ann Arbor and their constant festivals. And I kinda like Detroit, even though everybody says omgee, don't go there! But, I hate how we have the WORST football team nationwide. I mean, I want to believe that the Lion's will someday win one game, but I'm not holding my breath. However, our state makes up for it with the Tigers and the Red wings. :)

I just wish our state government had their priorities straightened up, and that our state had more things that drew people in, cause Michigan, aside from the trippy weather isn't so bad.

• Oh, yr car still has windows? Guess you live in the suburbs lol

• Detroit isn't as bad as people say it is. Yes, there's crime and abandoned buildings, but there's so much good that's going on in the city that people aren't aware of. Especially in regard to innovation, art, and design. I'm from the Grand Rapids area but I live in Detroit. I love it in the D, and I wouldn't want to move back to GR. :)