At What Age Did You Start Working? The Importance Of Working When You Are A Teen

Growing up, I remember how great it felt to receive allowance from my parents. I had the ability to buy the things my little heart desired. As a school age child between the ages of 7-10, the things that were at the top of my list were candies, chips, sodas, bubblegum, and icecream.
The amount of money my parents gave me fulfilled all of the urges my young mind could think of!

At What Age Did You Start Working? (The Importance Of Working When You Are A Teen)

As time progressed and I became a teenager, my desires shifted to things my allowance could no longer afford. Although, my parents increased my allowance with age, it still wasn't enough to get the things that I truly wanted.
I was a teenager with a changing appearance. I wanted certain types of clothing and shoes to wear. I wanted to experiment with different hairstyles. I also wanted to have enough money to be able to go out with my friends. I wanted things that went far beyond what my weekly allowance could afford.

I voiced to my parents that I would like to have an increase in allowance. They let me know that was the extent of what they were going to give me. I knew that there was nothing I could do to convince them otherwise, so as a teenager in my senior year of highschool, I went out and seeked employment.

It wasn't long before I was called, interviewed and then hired.

Getting a job taught me responsibility.
Yes, handing in homework assignments on time, studying for tests, and meeting to school exactly at 8:00am did so as well, but working and earning my own money, opened the gates to a newly discovered world for me!
I didn't work because my parents wanted me to, I did so because it's something I wanted for me. This felt like a huge accomplishment!

I made it to work on time, every single day that I was said to be on schedule, because I knew I made a commitment that I had to follow through with.
Having my first job as a teenager taught me that If I wanted anything in life, I should always look to myself for those things. No one in this world owed me anything, If I wanted something I needed to put both of my feet forward and strive for it. My first job taught me independence. It felt great to hold my weekly paycheck in my hand and know that I earned it all due to my hard work!

Getting a job also taught me that in this world, although you know you are correct in certain situations, sometimes you have to take a bullet in the behind and swallow your pride.
Working at customer service franchises followed a strict code of "Customers is always right" policy.

I used to be that teen, that always felt the need to argue and prove my side, but I learned sometimes in life you have to stand back and try to resolve issues instead of adding fire to the fuel.

Lets be professional and better help the situation, rather than being a part of the customers devastation.
My first job, helped mold my mind into a well rounded adult. I learned that I can be in tough situations, know how to deal with them, and be okay. I didn't always need my parents help. I could guide myself.
I also learned to take criticism effectively, and how to follow instructions in order to do the best of my capabilities.
Working as a teen had many benefits for me. I enered into adulthood with full confidence and reassurance, knowing that I could do anything I put my mind to.

At what age did you start working?
What did being in the work force teach you?

Special thanks to: @Mailo for sending in this topic request.

#StacyTellsAll

Stacyzee is a GirlsAskGuys Editor
Who are Editors?

Join the discussion

0/2500

Submit

What Guys Said 35

• When I was about 16 I got a job as a maintenance guy at the luxury apartment complex. Though I do not necessarily consider that a real job since my father was the supervisor and so I was a little better off than my older coworkers. That lasted for about two years, then I took a two year break from working, and just now am I trying to acquire my first real part-time job. I want to work at Sephora, but I also applied at Ulta. Meeting girls is my main motive.

• At 15, it was great for me to kick my ass and learn a lot of life skills and toughen up. My kids are going to be working at young ages too.

• I was 17

• I think I had my first paying job at 17.

• My first job I was 16, I was a human directional (aka, one of those people holding the giant signs on the side of the road).

My dad recently bought a house and talked to the people at the on-site realtor office, and boom! Got the interview. Practiced interview questions with my dad, mom and stepmom, got the job, and was out on the side of the road with my portable CD player waving the sign around! :-P

• I started working for money at 11, delivering newspapers. It sucked to get up at 5am, and even more so in the winter, and the money wasn't great, but it was a lot more than nothing.

At 13, my dad had me doing janitorial services for his office once a week (about 3-4 hours), and at 14, I was also doing REALLY entry-level office work, such as mind-numbing data-entry work, when I could find it, for local businesses. At 15 I got a job busing tables at Happy Steak, and I started selling candy at school on my own after I'd gotten kids hooked on fund-raiser candy.

At 16, I convinced my high school to hire me to DJ one of the school dances, because the other DJs were terrible, and that started a side career that I still have to this day.

• I had an actual job by the time I was like 10 I cleaned the mold and old food out of fridges and freezers and made em clean enough to eat off of or lick. And I cleaned mud, dirt, dust and gunk off the outside of just about every appliances imaginable, ovens, freezers, fridges, microwaves etc, also helped load and unload em as well as help fix em up sometimes.

hah and sometimes we'd get a toxic black world fridge, those were always fun, I had one, one time that was supposed to be white on the inside but the entire thing was black, had to wear a mask and stuff so I wouldn't breath that crap in.

Good job taught me a lot of useful and practical knowledge and skills.

• Got my first two jobs at 14

• I started working in the fields pollinating corn last summer.

• In the books 13 not on the books maybe 10 or 11. I miss ya pretty girl.

• When I was about 20, selling fruits and vegetables on the city market.

• When I was 16 at a hotel but I did other jobs before that but first true job was at 16

• 15. i made $4.25/hr at bbqs galore as the cashier.

• My wake up call was the whole dating era. Starting at 11 there was no hope for a stable job so I literally went around scrounging for yardwork for cash for dates n' shit. Learned to save up money from Christmas gifts quick fast and how to cut corners on paying for things that weren't necessary (bargain hunting). Finished highschool, got a job and moved outta home a few months later. Never been anywhere near the red since then :P

• I don't really work but I am planning to in college days because I can't right now , but I write stories and critics for a nit very famous newspaper if that counts

• 15 or 16 I think, was working as a laborer on construction sites, digging holes with a shovel, hauling out debris like chunks of concrete in a wheel barrow, tearing out walls and carrying the stuff to the dumpster.

It was HORRIBLE!! I hated every second.

• I started to mow lawns at age 11 or 12. At 15 I got my first job at a Dairy Queen.

• I was 13, had my first job delivering newspapers, and cut grass for 5 dollars each.

• I wonder what that was like having an allowance. I didn't have a real actual job til I was 17, but I would say that growing up and playing sports has taught me what most don't learn until they get a real job. Such as responsibility. I was about 5 years old when I helped my dad, who was an engineer but did oddjobs during his free time, with building fences for his clients yards. This was when I learned how to do measurements and how to structure a strong fence. I was about 8 years old when I was taught how to chop wood and use both a table and a circular saw, as well as to how important it is to keep a schedule. So, even though it wasn't a real job since I was just a helper, I would consider that as a type of job since I actually did work. I would say that the most important thing that I was taught from doing these jobs with my dad was respect. Respect for other people (such as keeping a schedule and how to treat them), respect for the equipment that you use, respect for your superior, and respect for yourself.

• I was 12. It was on a construction site for houses near my own home. I carried 2x4s, nailed in floors, helped put up walls and spread conrete in basements.

By 18 I was a janitor which lasted through college, I also was a dishwasher at a bar at 17. I worked construction for money while traveling all summer with a friend when I was 18, we built a strip mall in southern Florida.

• More from Guys
    15

What Girls Said 19

• As a country kid, I started doing light farm work on friends and neighbours' farms around and get 9 or 10 for pay, and also and ground that age maybe 7 or 8 I started helping out elderly neighbour out with gardening, yard work and cleaning and she would pay me and my brother a bit and make up candied popcorn haha

At 13 I got my first paycheck job working concession at the local arena and grandstands. Form then on I always had a part time job, went through a few different ones in high school, often moving on to higher paying gigs.

In our house, we got a $2 a week allowance until we started working a paycheck job but we would get nothing if we didn't do our assigned chores that week, stuff like cleaning, mowing the lawn, dishes, setting the table for dinner, helping cook dinner, etc. Our chores were mixed up week to week since there were four of us and it was only fair we take turns doing the better jobs and the worse jobs. Our parents would pay us a bit extra for harder work like cutting and stacking firewood or putting together items my dad used as an electrician.

• Also, this is bang on: "Having my first job as a teenager taught me that If I wanted anything in life, I should always look to myself for those things."

• ***that first line should say around age nine or 10

• ***and also around that age...

• i started working a part-time job at an apparel shop at the mall when i was 15

• Got my first job at 16.

• LOL I've been making money since I was six! My mom don't play that allowance game ><)

• Where can a 13 year old get a job?

• At 11, for my own mother. She paid me for helping her with some of her work stuff.

• 13. with Paypal account wholesale license under my parents name and Kiln. then selling papers through highschool into college.

• 14 years old I started working at a smoothie franchise

• I did household chores throughout my childhood. All of that was unpaid. I once asked for payment, but they just told me that we were a family and thus were obligated to support each other. Apparently, familial interdependence was more valued more importantly than independence. I never really went against the idea, because my parents were usually willing to spend money for me, and if they weren't, it was no big deal. I never had a taste for feminine products, like makeup or jewelry or clothes or hairdos, and I usually made do with what I already had.

I never got a job in my teen years. I started school a bit early, so I was 16 when I was in my senior year of high school. I started driving lessons at that age, but because of strict standards, I wasn't allowed to take the road test until I finished college. I went to a local university and lived with my parents all that time.

I am still searching for part-time employment while being enrolled in a professional program. Hopefully, it's going to get me a student job or permanent job.

• At 16

• I started at the age of nine. I grew up extremely poor. We didn't get allowances or anything like that. My mom was a single mother raising two little girls by herself. We just got the basic necessities.

When I was nine, I started to read the Baby-Sitters Club books. I really wanted to open my own club, or at least babysit but of course, I was too young. However, a friend of my mothers decided to help me out anyways. Every day after school, she let me 'babysit' her kids even though she was home. I basically kept the kids busy while she got some work done, and made supper. She paid me every week and that started by babysitting career. I babysat a bunch of different kids from the age of nine to 18 until I could find another job.

It taught me responsibility but also money management as well. Sometimes I gave some of my money to my mother to help her out. I also learned how to save money for things I needed like school clothes, school lunches, and supplies. I learned to wait to spend my money on the fun things.

• I got my first "real" job at 16 when I got a job at McDonalds. By real job, I mean working for someone else and making at least the minimum wage.

I was making my own money long before that, though. My parents stopped giving us allowance once we turned 10. If I wanted money, I had to get it myself. At 10, I started getting to know my neighbours who had pets and offering myself up to take care of their pets when they went on vacation or working long hours, so they wouldn't have to use a kennel or other expensive caretaker/dog daycare. Mostly dogs and cats, but I did get the odd small pet and a couple of parrots. I was entrusted with a key and would go to their house twice a day to feed the pets, change litter, clean bird cages, and take all the dogs out for a walk at the same time (with my own dogs as well, so it was quite a sight, lol). I made quite a bit of money doing that and was in such high demand that I had to turn people down because I had no time for them. I would also babysit for these people.

Taking care of people's pets and children teaches much more responsibility than just flipping burgers at McDonald's or stocking shelves, in my opinion. These are living beings that depend on you to feed them, clean poop/pee/change diapers, play with them, exercise them, give medication when required, etc. I learned the importance of being a reliable and dependable person, which is why I was so successful.

• I was 17 when I first got a job at Whataburger & only stayed there for 2 weeks.

• I started working online @ 15. I just sold stuff on Ebay for a while and made my spending money doing that. Now I've been trying a new idea where I email people and ask if I can make a website for them... if it works I should be able to make a lot of $. I've also done article writing. I can't find any in person jobs where I live so I'm stuck doing online work.

• How do you do article writing? I'm an English major and I do not have the first clue of where to find writing work.

• This actually makes a lot of sense to me. My sister got a job when she was 16 and has been hard working her whole life and has great work history. I had some health issues when I was a teenager and was on homebound so I didn't enter the workforce until I was almost 19. I was a constant job hopper until I was 23 not keeping any job longer than three months, quit with no notice, had a screw you attitude with my bosses... the list goes on. Maybe I would've been different had I been able to work as a teenager and learned responsibility earlier. I was never a lazy person and believe in working but I was such an immature, attitude filled, authority hating asshole back then.

• Honestly I got my first job at 18. Yes, I was a little older than most that I know when I got my first job. But I had a hard time balancing school and work. Plus living in a small town, no means of transportation (because I was not able to walk to work), so I had to wait until I could drive to start working.

But it was nice to have a job and have some money coming in. I remember being able to go shopping and buy clothes I actually wanted to wear. Plus make up and other things.

It was nice to have the freedom to go out with friends and do stuff I wanted to do, without having to bug my parents for money. As long as I had enough money, I could go!

• i started baby sitting when i was about 12 and did that up until i went to college. then i got my first actual job at 18.

• I've never had a actual job besides doing some babysitting.
    I've applied 10 times at subway, 6 times at Walmart, 3 times at a gas station and none have ever hired me. I don't know why tho

• Are you calling a few days after applying? My dad told me you have to call a few days after applying, ask to speak to the manager or person in charge of hiring, then make sure that you mention your full name so that when they review the applicants, you will stand out.

• :< I never got allowance. I worked over the summer at 15/16 through my school then got an actual job at 18