World's Most Expensive Dog Breeds

I've noticed a lot of these dog/cat questions around GAG town and assume many prefer dogs over cats.

Worlds Most Expensive Dog Breeds

Here I've compiled together a list of the top 10 priciest dog breeds !

#10 Irish Wolfhound

Characteristics:

Affectionate
Intelligent
Playful

Average puppy price: $1,900

#9 Landseer

Characteristics:

Courageous
Generous
Patient
Loving

Average puppy price: $2,000

#8 Akita

Characteristics:
Strong
Dominant
Independent

Average puppy price: $3,500

#7 Chinese Crested Hairless

Characteristics:

Friendly
Lovable

Average puppy price: $5000

#6 Tibetan Mastiff

Characteristics:
Dignified
Calm
Quiet

Average puppy price: $5,000 – $9,000

#5 Canadian Eskimo Dog

Characteristics:
Gentle and affectionate
Powerful
Athletic

Average puppy price: $6000

#4 German Shepherd

Characteristics:

Highly intelligent
Versatile Alsation

Friendly

Average puppy price: $6,500

#3 Samoyed

Characteristics:
Loving & Playful
Excellent companions
Robust
Spirited

Average puppy price: $6,500 – $12,000

#2 Rottweiler

Characteristics:

Good-natured
Placid
Devoted
Obedient
Calm

Average puppy price $7, 000

#1 Lowchen

Characteristics:

Playful
Friendly
Happy
Intelligent
Family Friendly

Average puppy price $7, 000

Join the discussion

0/2500

Submit

What Guys Said 18

• I don't get the point of owning small dogs. I mean why not get a cat instead? What are they useful for?

• I have to go with the Rottweiler I owned one and loved every min of our time together for 12 years. Super Buster is her full name

• False, Tibetian Shephered also the most expensive pup ever sold was 1.5 million and this breed as well. boom

• I'd rather adopt a street dog for free :)

by the way German Shepherd is love, German Shepherd is life. Third most intelligent breed combined with brutal power and agility.

• If I kidnapped one of such puppies... And asked for a ransom of 1000$ bucks I might successfully become a millionaire in months... Puppy business...
    Damn... puppies have such huge price and in my town hitman works easily for a 100$

A Samoyed is worth life of 120 humans.. No thanks if I had that much cash I would give that money to a educate a kid or maybe help a person finish his college education loan..

• $6,500 for a German Shepard puppy? Not where I live. I picked up a German Shepard puppy at an adoption agency for $300.
    A Tibetan Mastiff should have been number 1 because they've been sold for over $1 million.

• at those prices i'd rather have hyena.

• I'm getting a mix of dogs... they're the best.

• This is all bullshit, i got a dog for free. Stop discriminating by breed, all dogs need love! Free dog squad!!!

• I hope this is a joke. It's not discrimination, it's simply expensive pure breeds.

• @Hannah591 slick is a joke, but why is one breed more valuable than another? No reason to pay that much unless you profession (as in military/police) requires such a rare purebred breed

• For dog shows they do.

• I had a white german shepherd for 120 in Indiana

• We had two Samoyeds. We paid four hundred for one (the other was the first Samoyed's puppy).

• You got a Sammy puppy for $400? Srsly?

Damnnn

Even off craigslist I'd expect those to fetch (heh, fetch) at least a grand. Did you actually find one at a rescue?

• @redeyemindtricks
      No, it wasn't a rescue. It was a breeder. My family got this Sammy about 35 years ago. I'm just astonished the price has gone up by a factor of more than 20.

She was the sweetest dog. Gentle and playful. I loved her very much. As for her son, I was the first and last human hand to touch him. He died in my arms.

• Where did you get the pricing information?

• Your prices are way off. German Shepherds and Rottweilers don't go for that type of $$$$$. Maybe puppies of champion bloodlines but standard AKC dogs are a lot less

• Actually, for a full bred tibetan mastiff it can run up to the millions

• I'd like to have a German shepherd. A Tibetan mastiff and an Akita would be pretty cool to have too.

• Honestly, I will never buy a dog from a breeder. I will only adopt one from a rescue.

• I have one from a breeder and one from a rescue, lol.

• @musicbrain5 we've been feeding a mostly blind and now injured stray cat. It took months before he was comfortable with us touching him.

• Aww. I hope he gets better soon. I don't see too many strays around here because they get picked up pretty fast by the city who drops them off at the humane society. I am a dog person myself - very "meh" about cats and I'm also allergic to them. I would feed them if they came around, but they don't. I see raccoons constantly. Urban life, lol.

I try to never tell people that I got my doberman from a breeder, because the reactions are almost always rude. They insult me and just say terrible things, jumping to a conclusion before knowing the whole story of how I got the dog or that this breeder also runs a rescue (and a kennel), or even that I support/volunteer for rescues myself. I got my greyhound from a rescue for retired racers.

• Those Samoyeds are gorgeous! I assume these prices are for several generation pedigrees?

• I didn't know landseers were more expensive than other newfoundlands.

What Girls Said 18

• I want a German Shepard, Border Collie, or Canadian Eskimo dog when I move out and live on my own. My boyfriend likes dogs as well so that's a plus

• I would've put Tibetan Mastiff first. They've been sold for millions and are considered the most expensive dog breed.

• I'm sad about the Akita being 3k. :'(

• It's actually not that hard to find Akitas at rescues, along with pit bulls and other "dangerous" breeds.
      They're on the banned lists at most apartments owned by property-management companies, and lots of cities ban them outright -- so lots of people surrender them when they move.

If you adopt one from a rescue, all you have to pay is the rescue fee (usually just a couple hundred bucks). Also, rescue dogs have pretty much always had all their shots, neutering/spaying, microchipping, etc. done already, so those are additional costs you don't have to cover. And last but not least, you don't have to go through the puppy phase (sry, a lot of people adore puppies, I just think they're annoying ahaha)

Only thing is, a lot of rescues are REALLY strict about their rules, almost to the point of pointlessness nit-picking (yards with certain areas, fence height, etc). I have a friend who was denied adoption for a handicapped rescue Pomeranian because she doesn't have a fenced yard, lol... Sad.

• @redeyemindtricks Just about how dangerous pit bulls tend to be naturally. Since they don't really act like they will kill you the second they see you.

• They are fantastic family dogs. One of the best breeds for families with kids.
      They're VERY protective. Their protective instinct can be warped into violence if -- and ONLY if -- they're severely maltreated, in very specific violence-promoting ways, pretty much right from day one.

What's most infuriating is that SO many of the reported "pit bull attacks" aren't even pit bulls. You'll see the pictures/videos of the offending dogs and, in so many cases, they'll be breeds that DO have genuine histories of random violence (Presa Canario, Dogo Argentino, etc). But the authorities are ignorant, and so they'll lump any offending dog that looks anywhere between a terrier and a mastiff into the category "pit bull". It's disgusting.

• very interesting take!!
    i would like to have a german Shephered as pet

• Does they are really that expensive in usa? Cause i know in my country puppy are all around 2000 to 3000 maximum O-o

• I would get the Canadian eskimo dog if it wasn't so expensive.

• Really? where are you getting your facts from, Impossible

• Nice Take! My aunt has some Samoyed, they're good dogs. It's also funny that majority on this list are the ones my sister wants...

• I think that it is fine to adopt a dog from a rescue group or shelter. However, it is more important to find the right dog for your family, house/ appartment size, and lifestyle, otherwise behavioural problems will occur and dogs end up back into shelters.

• Lol there are not a lot of dog and cat questions on gag.

• Where the hell are you buying dogs? Because I can find at least 5 responsible, reputable breeders for each of those breeds for a LOT less.
    Or, you know, you could always adopt a dog from a shelter. It isn't too hard to find purebreds, and puppies as well. Or you can never go wrong with a mutt. Plus you're saving a life.

• These are prices for perfect breeds that perfectly fit breed standards and could become show dogs.

• I've never seen any of those to prices like that though

I mean, these German Shepherd babies are about $1000 which is pretty much the average price range for pedigree dogs. www.hundegalleri.dk/schaeferhund-immo/id-120028

• Oh my goodness ahhhhh!!! <3 <3 <3
    I love dogs to the core of my soul! Thank-you god for bringing these creatures Cx.
    But wow! Expensive and worth it XD.
    little cutie pies XD.

• I have a pure bred German Shepard and she is the best!

• Adopting these pets from rescues/shelters cost less than $200, depending on where you go. I have had several of these dogs. Our Rottweiler was free. Our German Shepherd (which are in extreme ubandance in shelters) was $50. Both of our Huskies (not like the one you have listed) were free, but I saw the exact one on your list. There were 3 puppies and all were free to a good home. While I don't endorse giving dogs away freely since people look for free dogs to use as bait dogs, I also don't endorse buying dogs from breeders or stores. Adoption is the way to go. To that dog, a loving home after neglect (and possible abuse) is priceless.

• We got our Rottweiler/ German shepherd cross for free haha

• I like the idea of this dog related list, but this is not accurate. And it's not cool to spread falsities as fact.

It was famous news a while ago that a Tibetan mastiff puppy sold for about 1 and a half million. Rottweilers and German shepherds are no where near as pricey, as well as other dogs on this list, and the order is all out of whack. Not slamming you, but this is simply false.

• Where did you get this information? People breed German shepherds everywhere you go, that is NOT the AVERAGE price of a German shepherd puppy. I would have thought French Bulldog would be on that list

• Yeah. Or English bulldogs, which on average are even more expensive.

Average Frenchie puppy is $2500-4000, average English bulldog puppy is 1-2k more than that. And you can really only get them from breeders, too -- they don't really show up at rescues, because of how hard it is to breed them (they can't really reproduce naturally hahah)

• So i've heard