How My Near-Death Experience Changed My Life Forever

The idea of death is rarely taken seriously. People joke about it all the time but few individuals truly grasp the concept of the lives it distorts. I was among the clueless until I was 18 years old and driving to my history class. I am writing this because I drive right by where I was almost killed basically everyday. I think about it all the time and the only peace I seem to get is in my sleep.

My near death experience.I admit I was running later than I wanted to that day. I like to get to class at least 45-60 minutes early so I can read before class. Before I left the house, I told my mom I was leaving like I always do and I told my mom I loved her. I remember I got up early that day and I told my dad I loved him before he left for work. I was driving for about ten minutes passing by a gas station that I always pass by and I started to notice a driver acting strange.

At first I thought, "what the hell is this driver doing." That quickly changed to, "my god they're headed right towards me." For a split second something weird happened I was staring death in the face and I wasn't afraid, a sort of peace set in me then reality set in and I swerved as hard as I could towards the right. I then hit my breaks as hard as I could to avoid landing in a farming field.

I sat there in my car on the side of the highway thanking my lucky stars that I was alive. That car was very large and my car is very small I know it would've killed me instantly. I reflected on the fact that I could've died and all I could think was, "I am so glad that I told my parents I loved them." But then fear and regret set in. Regret that I never repaid the people who sacrificed so much for me. Fear that I never went out and did what I wanted to do with my life. I made a bucket list when I was 14 and it is now 6 pages long. I never went out of my way to cross any of it off. I sat there and wondered what happened to that girl?

My 14 year old self wanted to travel the world and have amazing experiences. I knew I wasn't born to live an average life then die at 18 while driving to class. And for the life of me, I couldn't figure out why I never tried to cross anything off my bucket list. I never sought out to do anything I wanted to do and all I had to show for it was a pile of books on my nightstand I had meant to read. And then I remembered I had to get to class even though if a student shows up late, my professor is really nice about it.

Which Is exactly why for my next birthday instead of asking for more "stuff", I will be asking for a chance to cross something off my bucket list. Except I will probably ask for more books, one can never have too many books. Books are good to have when this muggle world gets boring. I already have a trip to Europe and Yosemite ready. It's also why I applied for a nonpaying job at a hospital. I knew it was nonpaying but I knew I will love working there and I wanted to give my life a cause greater than myself.

That cause was to lose myself in helping others. I knew that actually getting the job will be a Hail Mary because so many people are interested in the program but I definitely won't get it if I don't apply. You can imagine how ecstatic I was when I got the job. All I ask, is don't wait for you to nearly be killed to motivate you to live your life.

Ginnyweasley97 is a GirlsAskGuys Editor
Who are Editors?

Join the discussion

0/2500

Submit

What Guys Said 13

• Wow. I had two near death experiences. Once as a baby after I was born because I was nine weeks too early. I was always sickly. The other when I was 21 I hydroplaned my c

• My car and hit a telephone pole. Lucky I was not injured because it hit the passenger side. If it would have been hit in my side I would have been hurt or dead because it was a small Ford Escort

• Haha, one of the things I'm so glad I did was take time to cross off the infamous bucket list that had been lingering around. If you can, find your old bucket lists, otherwise make a new one. Most people don't really get around to it until mid-20s, I think.

• You said you are starting to change.
    I'd chock that up to a second chance from the universe

• I suppose I've had at least a dozen, I can think of six while motorcycling right off the top of my head and two while scuba diving one while cutting down a tree, a couple more while rock climbing, hang gliding and flying an ultralight. The only thing they changed about me was to give me confidence I could act instantly and intelligently in a crisis, which is no small thing.

I never cared much about stuff to begin with though.

• I almost slipped on the soap in the shower, that could have killed me and it changed my life forever. Then I almost got hit by a bus cause I didn't look both ways when crossing the street, which changed my life forever again cause I could have died.
    Then I grew up and realized that people die suddenly all the time and it's pointless to dwell on death in the first place.

• This certainly fits in with my saying "Life doesn't give you what you want. Life gives you what you need.".

It took a near death experience for you to get back on the right track that you originally wished to go and despite the death scare i am really glad it happened for you :).

Every few months or so i take a step back and evaluate my life to see if its going where i want it to go. For the most part it is :)

• I kinda know the feeling I almost got killed once and I was kinda close a long time ago. So I try to be a be a bit more careful these days

33.media.tumblr.com/.../...02zJfR1sxcftfo1_400.gif

NDE = living on the edge (literally)

• I wish that happened to me. Maybe that would motivate me to do something. But most likely not, anyways.

• This event took place on March 12th, 2016. I'm a person who often plays with death, most people fear the very word death but I'm different. Most of my life was internal turmoil fueled by loss of a parent, neer divorce and abusive mother. I don't hate her, but I don't have the humanity to forgive her. I once was a very prominent and bright child, today I'm an empty shell, a ghost of my former self hell bend on self-destruction. In my life I have attempted to OD numerous times, my left hand is covered in cuts and over the years I leaned fail proof methods to terminate myself. But even so I often continued to walk even truth life always pushed me back down. On that day I went out to enjoy the weather and my motorcycle, the day was going fine with 16 degrees temperature, calm skies and sun filled streets. But that all turned very sour as a female driver of an SUV failed to yield right of way in a major intersection and caused me to collide with her while I was on my motorcycle. As I took off on a green light all I could see is a car coming at me, with barely any move to break I knew this will not end well. Well this is the end, I said to myself while I closed my eyes and waited till it all ends, this seconds seemed like minutes, minutes before the execution. And then I felt the impact, with my body being ejected from the motorcycle onto the car and then being brought down by gravity back to earth. I survived, and I often pass by that spot as it just happens to cross nearly all routes I take, I remember the accident but don't let it get best of me. My death would not have been in vain as my family would have gotten a $1 million insurance payout, someone would have gotten my organs as I'm a registered organ donor and in the end my wish would come true of being finally free. And no my death would not matter, as I an no less than a bug on a global scale.

The End.

http://i.imgur.com/rZFpt9p.jpg

• Hey little sis, nice My Take. I'm glad you're still here. So what did you make mom for Mother's day? You hadn't said what you decided to do.

• I made her a dark chocolate, German style cake she loved it.

• That's not healthy, LOL Glad she loved it though, she doesn't know what she's missing without Bacon on it. haha :P

• I had a wisdom tooth that almost killed me about 3 years ago. Seriously i went to the er dilerious and in tons of pain, next thing i know i wake up post surgery in the ICU. Was not cool.

• My god. I can't imagine going into what I would think would be a small surgery then it turning into a big deal. Luckily I was born without wisdom teeth.

• you're very lucky.

• i had a kidney infection that almost killed me when i was 3 years old. I've already had my near death experience. just a bit too early for my liking.

• Same here. I was dropped on my head as a baby. I really wish my mom would stop blaming herself for that it wasn't her fault, it was dark and some idiot left out fencing material and I still have a scar.

• So much drama lol, i feel like i'm reading a book. I almost drowned some years ago, but i was saved some seconds before not being able to stay underwater anymore. (I should have killed my cousin who dosent know how to swim for restaining me and using me as life jacket lol)

• That's nice. You always comment on my posts just to make a point that you don't agree. Move along. I can't care less. Do you really think that in that moment I cared that I have 600 and something followers on Pinterest? I only know about ten of them. I am sorry you aren't able to see the point I am trying to make because you have the attention span of a squirrel.

• Aight enough drama i'm not gonna reply anymore

What Girls Said 4

• I had a near death experience as well.

In the winter here in New England we get a shit ton of snow, and when the plow guy came he would like it at the end of our driveway, and it would be 5 or 6 feet deep (deepest I think was 10 feet one year) anyway, last year I was outside by myself and though, "hey, I should dig a hole and see if I can make it to the ground" and I started digging. I got about three feet down and was lying on my stomach at the mouth of the hole, shoveling out snow, when I slipped and pitched head-first into a hole about a foot and a half wide. Naturally, I dragged a bunch of snow in with me, and I find myself upside down in a hole, with half a foot of snow covering my face and my arms trapped above my head. I started panicking and kicking and trying to move, and I went to breath and breathed in a ton of snow, making me cough and try and breath more. By this point I'm thinking "this is it. The only person out here is your neighbor and he can't see you, and you're stuck without oxygen. You're going to die, your mom is going to come out and find you and you'll never get to tell Dan (boyfriend) how much he means to you. You were stupid, remember how much you wanted to die? Is this how you want to die? Do you want to die now? Really? Why did you want to die?" and I decided "fuck this I will not die out here" and I'm glad I decided that at the moment because I started kicking even harder and managed to swing my legs hard enough to pull me out of the snow bank. That marked a turning point in my life, as I went from being suicidal and thinking I had no one who cared about me to realizing I did, and wanting to go on living. Funny how nearly dying made me want to live.

Storytime is over.

• That was a good story. I felt the same way after I dodged that car.

• Thanks :)

Yeah it's a little bit of an odd feeling and you can't really describe it to people that haven't experienced it

• God gave you another chance to live life

• Do you seriously need to bring religion into this? Get out.

• @93stepsawayfromhome
      No. You get out of my opinion.

If this was a "opinion" for only things that are not religion, it would not read opinion, as there are lits of people who have religious things in their opinion

• Holy crap is this the two-lane part of US 395?

• Yes, how did you know? I can't tell you how many times my dad has told me how dangerous that highway is.

• yeah well, if you ever want (and have the room for) a BIG haul... there ya go

Tell US 395 I said hello. And tell it that it's 0 for 2 against us awesome babes <3

• Oh I will for sure!

• This makes me want to start doing all the things I am always saying: "I wish I could, but am not able to do it right now".

Ok, it may be like that. But, I should try harder. Live less afraid of what ropes may hold me.

I can only hope I will be feeling like this now, and later forget about what I just read, because such is human nature, unfortunately.