My First Taste of Revenge, But is Violence the Answer?

My First Taste of Revenge

Every adult likes to tell you the same exact useless string of words when you're sitting across from them distraught, sobbing, and drenched in a combination of your own tears and snot: "if you ignore your bullies, they'll leave you alone."

Bullsh*t!

It was four months into my first year of middle school and so far I'd had my locker vandalized repeatedly, I'd been ridiculed in front of entire auditoriums, I'd had giant wads of spit balls lobbed into my hair during every in class movie, I'd been physically pushed, punched, and shoved around every other day, and I'd had just about every part of me that made me, me, torn apart and dissected and made fun of by my omnipresent group of five bullies led by their ring leader named Tasha. Maybe, I'd often think, just maybe, if I'd done or said something to my bullies, then perhaps there would have been some sort of reason for everything happening to me, but I was just one of the ones, these five decided was going to be their target that year.

These four months in Hell, I'd only managed to make one friend, a girl named J who could have been my twin as we were both really tall and skinny. We did everything together because both of us were trying to survive the torment of our five bullies we'd nicknamed the Five B's. The two of us would meet usually at lunch time, if not in class, and discuss our war wounds and just try to re-assure each other that it was only two and a half more years here.

Well, it finally happened.

All of the physical abuse, bullying, harassment, and complete lack of support or care by the school staff, had all come to a head on this one hot football field in a game of Red Rover. If you don't know what that is, basically you split a group into two. One half on one side of the field, the other, on the other side, each side all lined up in a row holding hands in a chain. The object of the game is that one side calls out red rover, red rover, let (name) come on over. The other team sends that person running over in an attempt to break through the chain. If they break through, they go back to their own team taking one of the two members of your team who's part of the chain they broke with them, but if they don't break through, they become a part of your team until time runs out and one side has the most players.

What does this have to do with revenge exactly? Well, you're supposed to just simply hold hands with the person next to you, J in my case, as the opposing team sends their player to run at you, but J and I were standing there seven rounds into this game where the Five B's and their team had repeatedly sent their players over to bust through our arms at either sides of us at full strength because, let's face it, the two of us had arms like snowmen, and their strategy had worked so far because our team was losing badly. Of course rather than pick either of us to go back to their side, they'd just pick the arguably stronger players to the right or left of us, so they could do it all over again and eventually, in their minds, win the game.

In a short break in the game, J and I looked at each other, our paper thin arms already starting to bruise, when we jointly decided we were not going to be the weak link in the chain that everyone on both sides thought we were. Our team as a whole had decided that if they could take Tasha out, then maybe our team would have a chance, so J and I knew already that no doubt, Tasha was going to make a run at us because she hated us and everyone else had done the same on either sides of us already.

Right then and there, J and I hatched a secret plan between us in whispers, and then took our positions back in the chain. Red Rover, Red Rover, let Tasha Come Over! J and I looked at each other again and out across the field. Tasha was rearing up like a bull, her muscles tensing, kicking the dirt out from under her heels while taking a few steps back to prepare at the run. Then, it was like it was all in slow motion. Tasha took off with her track level speed and her hair blowing back into the wind. She was hell bent on breaking us outside, and now inside of this game. In that exact moment that she charged us, J and I let go of our floating handshake, and slid our hands up our forearms to lock at each other's elbows. Once locked on, we gripped each other so tight that we could feel each others pulse throbbing. Locked and loaded, the two of us raised our new steel fence up a few inches so that it would hit her body dead on in the chest.

I don't think Tasha ever saw it coming. In fact, I know she didn't. In her mind, J and I were an easy kill, her two prey, always so easily caught and strangled in her jaws, but today was different. J and I were sick of everything Tasha had done to us and since there was no other real recourse to get her back that wouldn't land us in trouble, this was the only way we could think to get revenge. We thought we knew exactly what were were doing. We thought the move would bounce her back a few feet to the ground and then we would high five each other like two queens that had just reached the mountain top because it would have been the two weaklings who had taken the star athlete and head bully out, but as it turns out, we were really actually a lot stronger together than we thought.

When Tasha hit the brick wall, and it WAS a brick wall, her body violently catapulted head over heels and she landed hard on the clay ground beneath. She made this gurgling sound and then that was it. She lay on the ground completely motionless. Everyone's laughter and jeers stopped immediately as our sixth grade teacher dropped her clipboard and made a mad dash to our location. J and I stopped grinning.

I think we both legit thought that we'd killed her, and maybe we could have a few inches, here or there. Our teacher yelled for someone to run inside to get help (no cell phones back then). Tasha didn't move, she didn't fidget, she didn't have anything nasty to say to us in that moment because she couldn't. She was in that moment, helpless in the way we felt we had been over the last four months at her and the five b's mercy.

The days following the incident were literally the best J and I had ever experienced all year. With Tasha out for nearly two weeks with a serious concussion, we found out that apparently the five b's were nothing without their ring leader. It blew our minds that the minute she was carted off in the ambulance, they all started acting like normal human beings. They became nice...without her. We couldn't believe it. We theorized that she had been secretly terrorizing them to do what she wanted them to do, i.e. bullying them too, and since they didn't want to become even bigger victims themselves, they'd just done it mercilessly because of their own fear.

Imagine it. One day, you're being shoved into a locker by these people, and the next they are trying to sit with you at lunch and have a conversation about what was on tv last night as if the last four months hadn't happened. It was nuts. J and I felt like we'd won. Initially we felt like horrible human beings, but then we thought, really, how much are you supposed to stand by and take from someone every single day and keep taking it. The polite clean syrupy way to talk about the incident, would be to say that what we did was wrong and we regretted it to this day, but it felt good for both of us. It felt like justice where no justice had been before.

We'd listened to all those teachers and parents and others who weren't going through the hell we were, telling us to just ignore the problem as if that would solve anything, or telling us to stop tattle telling and complaining, or that they would deal with our bullies, yet absolutely nothing ever happened to any of our bullies until we did something about it. To think about our reactions to the situation is incredibly sad considering in following years what kids under that same pressure, under that same feeling of helplessness did to others in their quest to free themselves from their own pain, and still do to this day.

The only bit of luck in my situation was that we went through what we did in a time before the internet because bullying is an entirely new art form now that doesn't end with the school day but goes on 24/7, and can even become viral and spread across the world. With all the violence and suicides that occur now, we now as adults, can not just shrug things off and say walk it off to these same kids. That didn't work for us, and it isn't working for kids now.

If anything, bullies have gotten 100% more relentless and intense with sometimes no way to even know who's behind the computer doing the bullying of their fellow classmates and uninhibited by adults looking over their shoulders at school. I can't excuse my actions. I know what I did but I do ask myself why did it have to come to a level where I felt that J and I had to take action into our own hands. I'm lucky that a concussion is all we gave Tasha because it certainly could have been worse, and then what?

#GaGWritingContest

BeeNee is a GirlsAskGuys Editor
Who are Editors?

Join the discussion

0/2500

Submit

What Guys Said 26

• That cunt deserved it. Good job.

• 6h

You know, this reminds me of a bullying incident back when I was in high school, there was this goth girl named Rachel Roth (no relation to Teen Titans) who had moved from Long Beach, California to Beverly Hills, MI, during my sophomore year. I have to admit, she was cute, but she was an absolute witch. Everybody, from staff and faculty to the entire student body cowered and trembled in fear every time Rachel set foot in the building.

Me personally, I went on about my business and ignored her, which in fact gained her undivided attention. and before i knew it, Rae was stalking me. I noticed that she was picking on me more and more, and finally, i told her ass off. This only served to piss her off. That same day i unloaded on her, I had left class to use the restroom. I had gotten to the boy's bathroom door when I got a whiff of an off-type musky scent (and it wasn't weed). I sniffed again, turned around, and there was Rachel, barreling out of the women's restroom at full speed, snarling and high as hell. I could tell she was a going to be a bigger problem than what I endured from the multiple ignorant apes back in the Detroit Public School system.

She tackled me full force, she and I hit the wall and I ended up cracking my skull on the floor, knocking me out. I didn't remember anything else after I came to in the hospital. I was later told that Rachel was waiting for me, she had been watching me, and had stabbed me about eight times, then proceeded to beat me senseless until i was an unrecognizable mess on the floor. The principal had said that there was blood everywhere, and that Rachel was literally drenched in my blood. The police and the FBI got involved, and they hunted for Rachel for a good two months before she was found renting a motel somewhere on Woodward. She had bludgeoned her dad and her younger sister back in Long Beach, after she and her dad got into it over another violent bullying incident there. Apparently that's when she fled here to Michigan.

She was charged with 3 counts of attempted murder, (me, her dad, and her sister), felony assault (for the freshman kid she beat in front of the student body in an attempt to humiliate him) and sentenced to six years. The last i heard, she was released in 2007, and was looking for me, but does not know my whereabouts. I pray to Agni that i never come across this homicidal bitch ever again.

• Glad you guys came through. Frankly from guys perspective she had it coming. We usually presume girls don't venture into physical bullying. Its just emotional and psychological.

While about those girls not bullying again without Tasha. Strike the shepherd and sheep scatter.

• Ha, I used to think girls were the civilized ones! Sure girls can be equally cruel with pyschological torture, but physical... that came as a total unwelcome surprise to me. Like just about every girl I knew, we'd been taught that girls don't do that, and you're right, for the most part, we don't... but there are always those people out there who will do and say anything to others that they please no matter who gets hurt by it.

• I was bullied in elementary school. It only lasted a week because I had a short fuse back then and I punched the kid in the nose and bounced his face off of a drinking fountain. I was suspended and when my parents picked me up, they took me out for ice cream. Good for you for standing up to her.

• Good for you! You gave the bitch the thrashing she didn't just deserve, she also needed it!

• And yes, all too often the advice of well meaning parents and teachers is trite, useless and irrelevant.

• 1|0
  • Am I the only guy who was totally aroused by the photo of a possible lesbian catfight? I thought those chicks were about to start making out furiously.

• You're a noob when it comes to revenge if violence is the best you can come up with.

• I'm surprised you weren't suspended or expelled.

• Fascinating. What became of Tasha when she returned to school?

• She was quiet for a while and left J and I alone for probably a month, but then after that she and her crew were back to there old ways. I thankfully transferred out of that school the next year, and I've never seen or heard from her since. I tried to look her up on FB, but couldn't find her.

• Bullies are shitebags. Its all front and overcompensation for an inferiority complex. You look for the big man or girl in a group and smash them first. The rest usually shit themselves. With kids its all about respect. People prod and poke at you to see how much they can get away with. If you snap and lash out theyll respect you and leave you alone, if you dont then it gets worse and worse and everybody joins in coz you're a pussy in their eyes. You dont reason with or ignore people like that. Theyre not reasonable people. They dont have that mentality. Only force counts. there's a saying where im from, if somebody steps on your toes jump on their back and snap their neck. Hit back a hundred times harder and nobody will fuck with you. In jail they send some clown to your cell on te first night to tax you. It'll be something stupid like a match but it's demanded. If you give it away you're fucked. You've just painted yourself a pussy in front of the other consand they'll all take your stuff or stab fuck out of you for refusing. The guy they send is a bam, an idiot, he's there to take a hiding to test you out. If you kick his head in the boys will respect you and leave you alone for the most part

• Wow. Damn, I'm so privileged – like, seriously – I could never hit anyone, especially since I've never needed to... jeez.

• Damn hella savage but also kinda messed up but it makes sense to handle it this way but meh its whatevs

• This is a great mytake by the way. I think that to stop bullies they need to deterred in some form or another. Sometimes violence can deter bullies away, but it can also cause more problems. The fact is that you have to stand up to bullies and dont just take their crap. If you do nothing then they have no reason to stop. You have to use verbal techniques to catch them on an emotional level so they stop or you have to resort to other means like violence.

I never had any bullies at school but i always knew the reasons why people did get bullied and that perhaps helped me not get bullied. Bullies always pick on someone who is weaker than they are either physically or mentally. They know they can bully them and get away with it bc they never fight back or if they do they are just too weak. To make a bully stop you have to show them strength and that you are actually the same or better than them. So whenever a guy tried to tease me or whatever i always made it like a joke and teased them back or whatever. They also knew that i was pretty strong for my age even if they were a lot bigger than i was in a higher grade. Bc i showed strength and didn't take them too seriously they always respected me and even at times i would even hang with their group even tho i didn't even really like them.

So many other times i see people getting bullied and they do nothing and looked so helpless and weak and i knew that was the reason they were getting bullied.

To stop bullies you need to show strength not weakness.

• I don't even know how I would have ever learned that lesson at the time. You have to keep in mind, the previous school I came from was zero tolerance. What little bullying that happened was swiftly taken care of, there was a lot of parental involvement in the school, as were the teachers, so I was used to people just being people and being nice. There was teasing, but nothing that anyone would really consider bullying like this. Contrast this, with this school, and everything was the exact opposite. Fights broke out all the time there and the teachers turned their backs. The only time anyone made it to the principal's office is if there were black eyes or broken arms b/c that's something you can't explain away to a parent so easily or play ignorant about.

• School should be about going to school, not having to prove how tough you are by fighting someone or taking their abuse. Why does the solution have to be fighting? Why is the solution never in these situations, let's deal with the actual bullies and punish them for fighting others and harrassing others, not let's let the kids fight it all out. I mean we expect kids to fight there way to an understanding, but yet when you become an adult a few years later, you can get serious prison time if you're caught and ruin your life. There is a complete disconnect there in how things should be handled.

• I never said the solution was fighting, but merely showing the bully that you won't put up with their crap. Something needs to be done is all i meant. You dont just stand there and take it. I never fought with anyone, i just made it like a joke and may have teased them a little to prove a point that it was just stupid what they were doing. I would laugh and smile and they would get that it was joke and they would stop doing it. So i didn't fight them, i just manipulated the situation in my favour so they would stop bullying.

By doing this it shows that you are on their level and have strength to stand up to them and not just take it and be weak by not doing anything.

• if you can't forget about what happened
    than it's best to find closure with violence
    or else the person will go crazy

• Violence is the best policy.

• Thanks for sharing this I use to think one way of a solution was any child caught bulling their parents should be fined or least face procecution in some way but can that make the situation worse? here in the UK parents can be prosecuted and face legal action if their kids don't turn up to school I just wondered could the same thing be applied to any child bulling others?

• There was actually a huge viral news story on that very topic of parents being fined for their children bullying other kids. I listened intently to a lot of the commentary, and I rather agree with one lady I heard over the radio who said that it will work well with parents who can't afford the fine and therefore will work really hard on their kids to get them to behave to avoid the expense, or on frankly those parents who actually do care, but for most without any real heavy legal action behind it, like parents going to jail for not paying the fines, not much will really change especially for those parents who can afford the fines and will just pay them until their kids graduates rather than try to change them. www.huffingtonpost.com/.../in-this-city-parents-must-now-pay-up-if-their-child-is-a-bully_us_572a0604e4b096e9f08fc80e

• I am reading that thanks - in some way it could in some ways it can not what solution is there? It's a sad world we live were you forced into turning violent just solve a problem why has it got to be a violent solution to stops the continuing bulling me personally I see violence as a sign of weakness why have we got to fight to prove ourselves to people with small minds after all we are ants compared to the rest of the universe if you get into a fight no one will remember it in a 100 years time

• What happened to Tasha, is she okay? Concussions cause long term brain damage, especially when they make you go unconscious.

• She did not come back the same person she was when she left. She was really quiet and kept more to herself and for a while wasn't bullying anyone. She did seem really just out of it and of course everyone knew why, but then after a while she got back to normal and went back to her old ways. I tried to look her up via FB a while back, but I couldn't find her, so I don't know as and adult what happened to her, and I transferred to another school after 6th grade, so I never saw her or her gang ever again.

• @Opinion Owner You are such a disgusting human being. I can only assume you are a bully yourself, to sit there and excuse what Tasha did to these girls and try to reprimand the writer for finally fighting back.

• You're a complete idiot. You know who's not responsible, 2 children who were being victimized for months. You know who is responsible? The shitty fucking teachers who ignore bullying. No child knows the reprocussions of something like that, they did what they had to do. The teachers and the parents hold the responsibility.

• Violence is not the answer, it's the question.
    The answers is 'YES!!'

I've fought bullies and lost some fights and gained some friends.
    Child bullies are misguided kids with parents who are not paying them enough attention.
    Adult bullies are bad guys. lol.

• I truly believe that violence is the ONLY way to deal with bullies. Good for you, but I wouldn't have put up with it for that long. I would have instantly destroyed them on the first day they tried to mess with me.

I don't ever want kids, but if I did then the first thing I'd teach them is how to fight. And instill a mentality in them that does not tolerate being bullied in any form.

• In a way I wish I could have been 'that person' that just socked Tasha in the head day one and went on with my life, but prior to going to this school, all I'd ever experienced was normal teasing that you do walk off from and deal with just fine and my previous school had a zero tolerance policy, so incidents never got to the point where people were allowed to physically hurt you, but I went from the great school to a crap one, and by the next year I'd transferred out b/c the school was horrible all around and my parents finally thankfully saw that.

• I'm sorry you had to endure that kind of bullying for so long. My little cousin is only 10 and she's been having trouble with a bully in her class but not to the point of physical violence. She finally punched that girl in the face a few days ago lol I was so proud :')

• More from Guys
    6

What Girls Said 7

• Sometimes violence is necessary when there is no other avenue by which to speak.

• I was tormented a lot in primary school by a bully who stole and manipulated the girls who had been my friends. Even after they calmed down, they'd start up again if I happened to go anywhere near them. There really needs to be at least one teacher for each school that kids can talk with about bullying and can act as a go-between. I'm pretty sure kids would learn to process their emotions/actions a lot better a lot sooner if there was something like this.

• I don't think it should be just the one, but the entire staff made aware of how to deal with situations like this because as we know now, at least in the US, that kids are now bringing guns to school to "handle their problems," and it's not just their bullies that end up suffering, its everyone and it shouldn't come to that. I know from first hand experience having transferred on a year later to a new middle school, and then from going to high school, that when you have zero tolerance policies and a staff that routinely enforces them, kids can go to school in a safe environment where their problems are addressed and taken care of before they escalate. I think adults are often to hung up on the idea that kids should be able to solve their own problems once they hit middle school, but there is a little teasing here and there that is normal and natural and then there is bullying. To ignore those bullies, to just 'let it go' all the time is only encouraging these kids to keep at it.

• I said 'at least one' because a lot of schools don't even have that and they may have a small amount of staff depending on the school. It is very frustrating. It's also a great subject to get people talking about ;)

• Good for you. You're right about bullying. its a very serious issue that needs to be addressed

• Fuck the people saying you did wrong. It was bound to happen. No one puts up with that much shit for months and not having a breaking point. Okay, so the girl could have taken damage. That was her fault. Karma was giving her a taste of her own medicine. I'm glad you and your friend were able to stand up for yourselves. You shouldn't have ever put up with it that long.

• The violent action was wrong. It was, but how and why I got to that point for me is the point where I have to say, you know what, this person and her gang of friends were mentally and physically torturing me for months on end with no one doing anything about it but continuing to let it happen including myself. I tried everything I could to get help, but if no one is going to lift a finger to help you, then what do you do... what you have to. A few years later when kids started shooting up schools, all I could think was, these kids were me. They were in the same situations if not worse and everyone around them just let it all happen and then are "surprised" that they snap. Why are people still ignoring bullying now knowing how bad it can get for kids these days? I know from my experiences at zero tolerance schools that teacher and parent intervention 100% works to curb and stop bullying. When you address the bullies actions, change can happen.

• I'm against violence unless it's self defense and anything you could have done months before that I would consider defense. That was an incredible amount if bullshit you guys put up with. Just walking up and punching her off guard.. That'd probably have done it. Might've had to train for a while first but element of surprise and determination goes a long way even if your openent is bigger. I think I'd have been inspired to take martial arts.

Anyhow I'm glad you guys didn't get sent to Juvi. I can imagine that happening- even though technically it was you who's been toetured-bc of the concussion.

People are full of it when they say leave a bully alone and they'll go away. Bullies bully BECATSE they are neglected. Also at the heart it's just a way of blaming the target instead of the perpetrator.

Glad it all worked out. Shameful the way no one did anything bc even if you left people still there still have to deal with bullying. Needs to be a no tolerance approach.

• I don't really know why this whole idea of walk away and the bullies will stop got started. When people are harrassing people as adults, or punching and shoving them, we call the police or an authority to deal with it, so why should the advice we give to children be any different or treated differently is really my view on the whole thing. Instead of actually addressing the bully, who's actions every single person knows were wrong and unjust, and then doing something about it, the solution for everyone involved was to do nothing. It still pisses me off just thinking of that entire year being in that hell and I'm 33 now! Thankfully my parents did eventually see how detrimental that school and being there was to me and my physical and mental health and I went to a new school the next year which was absolutely great, but I know those kids only moved on to torture someone else and probably grew up bullying everyone in high school too. And the cycle continues on...

• im sorry that you were bullied i used to bullied exsept it was online

• Thanks. Again, I do feel lucky that I was in school in the age right before cell phones and the internet really took off and cyber bullying became a real nightmare as I'm sure you can attest. At least in my situation, things did actually get 100% better once I transferred to another school. What did you do in your situation?

• your welcome and that's good it got better and way I handle being bullied was I would respond back to them and talk and that I blocked and reported the people that were bulling me

• Great Story

Happy u were able to free urselves in the end, by fighting back.