Here's Why I Absolutely Despise Social Media

Why I Hate Social MediaTime Wasters

It's easy to use the excuse that playing games on Facebook or sharing in conversations on Twitter can be lots of fun, but they also eat into your productivity.

Idiocy

It allows people to publish idiotic, unnecessary and 'absolutely no use to my life' information.

Inactive Life

Discourages many of us from having getting physical exercise, and enjoying other useful activities life has to offer. This is most common in youngsters.

Stalking

Being easily stalked , this goes without saying.

Business Wrecking

You can even wreck your career if too much is being posted, or posting the wrong thing.

Insecurity

With the constant announcements of engagements, weddings , baby arrivals and also barrage of selfies, can make you think others lives are way more interesting than yours , when that really isn't true. We may begin to fear that we are missing out.

#StayReal

Join the discussion

0/2500

Submit

What Guys Said 21

• Most important is the way you use it and for how long

• you missed out a lot more.

• Ya good perspective. I deleted my Instagram awhile ago because it was just so stressful, constant spam offers to pay to be featured on fitness pages, etc. Tons of competition for perfect pictures, social media used to be casual but now it's so loud.
    I just like Snapchat now

• Snapchat is fun, just make sure to screenshot the snap so u can post it to Facebook and Instagram. :-P

• I have an account on every main social media website. The thing is to not obsessively check these sites.

I check Facebook 1-2 times a day. I tweet & cross post to Facebook after the event occurs, so I'm not compulsively and frantically on my phone to send something. I use the Snapchat camera to take photos, and I screenshot the snap so I cansend send it to other social media later.

I'm SO over the frantic spazzy stressful mentality of "having to post live in the moment". :-P

• I've never really liked social media, that's why I only use FB regularly, and I don't post, I just check to see news and stuff like that, not to check other people's lives, and certainly not to post mine.
    I would be pretty happy if social media stopped existing, I feel like people would be more real then.

• I completely agree, great Take :D

• i agree with you. i opted out of it long ago.

• I've never done any. I've been shown them a million times though. What a load of self important crap people put on. The look at me everybody complex. They all think theyre undiscovered celebrities. Everybody on it has a an ego that shouldn't be there. Look at my new car, look at my perfect smiling kids with their Christmas presents. Look at the price of the holiday we booked. Why tell everybody? Has everybody got an inferiority complex now? I know a bitch that married to a guy i know, 2 kids. They both work all the time and have 2 houses on the go. Judging by fb you'd think they had it perfect. Wrong. He goes to the pub every day after work to avoid her. She drinks herself stupid too every day. The kids are fed the cheapest crap they can find and locked in the room nearly all the time. They argue and threaten each other constantly. The oldest daughter batters her little sister and bites other kids. Why? Screaming out for attention but they 2 are too fuckin stupid to see it. They only put the effort in when theyre posing for fb photos, as if that counts for fuck all. Its a bad world. People think as long as it looks okay to everybody else its fine. When the fuck did clowns like this start popping up in society. Its practically the rule not the exception now. False wankers that cherish a house over their own kids. Fake plastic people living fake plastic lives

• And yet you go on a social media to complain about social media. How much time did you waste writing this take?
    It's like the people who call into radio stations to protest phones or people who go on TV to protest how TV is bad.

• Didn't take me long at all, I enjoyed writing it and also enjoyed the Xper points.
      So take your shitty, sourpuss negativity away :)

• People ARE logically able to criticize and cross-analyze products and services they use.

Just because someone uses a product or service doesn't mean they ONE HUNDRED PERCENT like it. Hell, who 100% likes ANYTHING? lol

• Meh I need Twitter and FB I keep in touch with my peeps but I rarely use it like probably once a week

• Yeah! Fuck FB and all the media vampires!

• 100% agreed! Screw social media, I'm having better things to do than revealing my info.

• I use social media to talk to friends and family efficiently.

Before one would have to send a message or photo to each individual person.

Now one can post to Facebook or Snapchat, and share to dozens and hundreds of people much more easily. THAT is the main purpose of social media, all this attention grabbing stuff is so extra. :-P

• this is so damn true!

I believe the first one and the last one have been hitting me really hard for quite a while now

• All good reasons to not like social media. Its so much better when we actually spend face to face time which each other. I admit i have been lured in at times to spend my spare time on social media when i could have been doing many other things.

Social media also has a dark back story where it actually is used to spy on people's lives believe it or not. Its actually one of the main methods used to monitor people especially Facebook. This is why it is banned in some countries like China, North Korea, Spain and others bc they dont want the Americans spying on them. There are also some funny clauses in the terms and conditions which no-one ever bothers to read. All the personal photos you upload on Facebook are actually owned by Facebook not you and they can actually use your pictures whenever they like. There are also some funny issues with the privacy regulations which have been changed many times since Facebook began.

Good mytake tho.

• Three reasons why to stay away from social media : Social Justice Warriors Leftards, Feminists and White Knight Manginas.

• I use to be really unproductive with social media, but now I'm good. Deleted my Twitter, rarely get on FB, and will never get an Instagram.

• I have a profile on all the social media sites, I just use them in my free time. Did u feel like u we're getting too addicted?

• @Prof_Don Nahhh, I was just on there to kill time I actually didn't have.

• Yeah I agree with you on this

• I agree. I got rid of my Facebook app and twitter. Still have accounts but never go on.

• cf.girlsaskguys.com/.../...e-90e5-a4c9cc124ed7.jpg hahah that bitch ass nigga got #Owned aunty LOL

• Take a bow girl 👏👏👏 take a bow.

So awks when your friends ask what you thought about their baby in xyz outfit and you've not read their last 600 bloody updates on him/her.

• Haha thanks 😜
      Tell me about it, or they ask 'have you seen my baby' like no shit.. you post a dozen pics a minute of it!!

• More from Guys
    1

What Girls Said 12

• My main social medias are Facebook and Instagram. I use YouTube a little bit. I agree with pretty much everything on this list. The good thing for me is that now that I'm older, the people I'm friends with actually discuss interesting topics. I also use it for networking for starting my bakery business. I don't think social media is the problem, though. It's more about who you are friends with and associate with on social media.

• I hate having to update things so I don't do much with social media. I only have a facebook so I can watch updates from my fave stars. I use twitter and snapchat 4 friends.

• I agree. I hated how addicted I had been with these social media things. For me, it had been hard to let go of the temptation to open accounts on sites like Twitter, Instagram, etc.

I actually have changed my mindset about this by asking myself when I feel tempted whether I'd spend my time on the piano and improve on my fingering techniques or spend time with social media, gain knowledge about what's going on with my peers that completely doesn't concern me at all.

• good take!
    its the reason why am not on any social media... and when i say it to people they're like : "what? you're kidding me? "

• Don't blame social media. Blame yourself for letting it affect you this way.

Time wasters - boils down to your own lack of self-awareness and self-control.

Idiocy - if you don't want to see what these morons post, them simply unfriend/block them.

Inactive life - again just boils down to your own lack of self-awareness and self-control. Facebook isn't stopping you from going out for a jog. You are.

Stalking - now this I agree with a little. But most, if not all social media platforms allow you to be as private as you want by utilizing their privacy settings to the max.

Business wrecking - I think it's common sense to not publicly badmouth your boss/the company you work for if you plan on keeping your job.

Insecurity - also just boils down to your own problems. Everyone should realize that people just show the highlights of their lives on social media. Nobody is as perfect as their instagram/facebook/twitter feed. Everyone has their ups and downs, people just don't really post about their bad days (unless they somehow can twist it into being a funny story) because it doesn't attract likes and shares. And of course everyone wants to make it seem like they never have a bad day. So yeah, if you do feel yourself getting negatively affected by the successes of other people, you should definitely take a break from social media. But you should also get help and work on those insecurity issues, because that kind of jealousy is not healthy and will also follow you around in real life if you don't do anything about it. So not using social media won't automatically make the problem go away.

• I'm not on any social media sites so how can it possibly affect me in the way you're describing? I'm just saying how it IS affecting others ffs. Take your negativity elsewhere.

• I love G@G! Thats my only social media!

• so true!
    I really need to stop using gag so much... egh sigh :/ :(
    by the way I really liked the 2nd pic

• I deactivated my fb now it's been like 3 years lol. I had a twitter but gave up using it after like a month it was so stupid and boring. And I don't have a insta (although I'm considering making one for other reasons). I only use snapchat now but it's mainly to read the news and goof around with the features.

• I always love the irony of people talking about how much people hate social media on GaG when GaG... is also social media. XD

Luckily @lumos is way nicer than me. She asked me to let you know that:

"Your comment was antagonistic, so. If you hadn't blocked me, I would have been able to explain to you that I'm not targeting you specifically, and I was using the word "you" in a general sense, that would apply to anyone. I never meant for you to take it personally and I didn't intend to hurt your feelings in any way. So I'm sorry if you felt like I was targeting you, I wasn't. I wasn't trying to bring unnecessary negativity into this take either, I merely wanted to point out that you're blaming social media for things that have nothing to do with social media."

She's super fun to PM or talk with in general so hopefully you can work it out :)

• Yet you're on a social media website...

• yeah those are all very good reasons why social media can suck. bottom line, it's become a bit too superficial and jumbles up our priorities. i think it also takes away mystery from things like high school reunions and the like. Going along the business wrecking thing... I think a lot of the updates on facebook just scream drama. Like the "seen by" feature, hard to follow photo tagging where friend of friends can see your stuff, etc. I never understood those updates.

what i do like about it is how easy it is to stay in touch and share experiences, but I do think snapchat does a better job of that and is more private. i also like how its a form of self expression... everyone does something different with their statuses and that is probably my favorite part.

• Everything you stated is true. I deleted facebook years ago and never went back. Its drama and stalking.
    I say "wanna talk to me then call me and if you dont have my number you're not that important"