7 Reasons Why I Want To Go Back To The 80s Right NOW

I really feel like I was born in the wrong era. I shouldn't be born in 1991 but more like during the 50s. Or 60s at least. I find myself totally out-of-sync with today's standards and I'd say mentally I live in the 80s. Of course there are differences within the 80s as well. Early 80s were different than mid 80s, and mid 80s were different than late 80s as well. But anyway, I like all 3 (maybe mid 80s a little bit more since they were the 80sest among all).

1) Clubs were more enjoyable

I love listening to music at a loud volume. But certainly not this crappy music most clubs play in our days. Working as a DJ back then would be even better (see #2 below). Not hard to be a chick magnet if you knew what you were doing and you had good looks as well!

2) Getting a career in music was better

And more enjoyable I should add as well. You would enjoy what you were doing. Nowdays in order to make it big you have to play this (enter any insult you want here) Alternative Rock most people listen to. I consider it an absolute humiliation to play this genre, and personally I'd never accept to be humiliated like that, just for the money. Back then most popular genres were enjoyable, especially Rock or Electronic related genres, so you could enjoy what you were doing if you were a musician.

You could enjoy being a DJ as well, since the songs you'd play in the clubs you would be working at, would be considered popular by then standards more or less . You could even release some 12" single yourself as well, if you were a DJ!

3) Flirting was better

Modern flirting is just disgusting. I see it here everyday how young people tend to flirt. They silly applications like Snapchat, Tinder and 100 emojis in order to flirt. I don't buy this personally. Not to mention if in case you don't use any social media you might be considered a weirdo. Isn't it silly? Or she might be complaining if in case you don't follow her in her Facebook/Instagram,etc. accounts. At least back then, social media didn't exist, and made flirting much less complicating.

4) Less excuses to stay at home

Well back then there was no internet. And internet is the biggest excuse to stay at home nowdays. Even if you decide to go out, you would look weird if you go out alone. Back then it wasn't so weird to go out alone, simply because there weren't many excuses to stay at home. Maybe watch TV or read a book, but the bad thing with internet is, you communicate with others, unlike you do by watching TV or reading a book, and that's why many people choose it as an excuse to stay at home. Now those who are alone, they would rather sit on their computer and use the internet. Fast internet connection also helped making this excuse more dominant.

5) Music was better

I know many will say But you still can listen to this music in our days. It's true indeed. But you know what's the difference? Music from that era is a cult thing more or less nowdays. Back then this music was around everywhere. In the radios, in the clubs, etc. Pure enjoyment.

6) No phones

Phones have proven to do more good than bad actually. Although they are useful to make calls or send messages when you are out, those extra features they have nowdays they made phones worse actually. Notice even when people go out they are still above their phones. It's plainly disgusting!

7) You could see your favorite bands and artists live, when they were at their peak.

It's different to see your favorite musicians when they are in their 20s and their 30s and it's different when they are in their 60s. Most of the artists I like were born in the 50s, so it means nowdays many of them are retired or they still tour but they don't have the same energy they had as they did back then. Maybe only a few are still as good as they were back then, but only a few.

And of course you should've been born in a big country like US, Canada or UK to get a chance to see them. Otherwise it would be very difficult.

US Festival '83 was one of those concerts I'd love to go for example. So many great names at once!!!

Join the discussion

0/2500

Submit

What Girls Said 6

• i wanna go back to the 80s :'(

• Are we referring to Alt Rock as the shitty poppy stuff on the radio? Cause I enjoy actual Alt Rock, the type that is, you know, actually alternative

• Some shit like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3bP64KC0ZCc

I don't listen to the radio, but when I go to a store or something I hear they play such shit.

Actually I like some actual Alternative Rock as well, and guess from which decade? Yeah from the 80s. Here are some examples of actual Alternative Rock songs I like:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ihLnrOw_u2E

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vibxum9EoMQ

• Yeah pop-punk and post-hardcore, and a little bit of both metalcore and deathcore.

Yeah, not a big fan of AOR, I just don't really like the sound.

• Since I'm a big fan of "synth meets electric guitars" is definitely one of my favorite genres, personally.

• WoW, you are so right, especially about the music ;)

• And music videos I should mention. They don't make good videos anymore.

• My thoughts exactly :D

• shoot. let's get a delorian and go back. :D

• enjoy ur denim on denim and hairspray lmfao

• I want to go back like i was actually born in that century. I don't really like the 21st century because honestly i remember not having a phone and i enjoted like much more better. I love 80's music and its just highly interesting and real talent was stored in way back of history.

What Guys Said 20

• I lived in the 80s when madonna and michael jackson were big. Madness was on tbe radioand you watched the likes of airwolf or knight rider. We were out at the crack of dawn and had to be dragged back in at night. The world had a pulse back then but when the millenium changed something vital died. Its been horrible since. Crap music, mannequins acting in movies, reality fuckin tv. The net, mobiles, mass media bollocks. Corporations trying to scam everybody and kill us all at the same time. Cram it all back up your shiter.

• Well Madonna and MJ weren't the only 80s artists, of course. I was always finding them overrated.

• So you were only 22 when you settled down? Pretty early. I'm older than 22, but I don't care about the settling down thing. I was never a clubber though, because clubs of my generation play this shitty Electronic music of 10s.

• 23 roughly. Too much sex. Bound to get one pregnant eventually and i did. Id never abort or abandon my kids so i had to settle and work 7 days a week

• I wish I could go back to the 80s - hell, even the 90s. Granted, I was a tyke back then, but life was SOOOOO much better than it is now. I'm really regretting this internet and modern technology at times.

• You have to fight for your right to go back to the 80's. Social media is the downfall of civilization. It really is dehumanizing society and people don't even realize it.

• Nah, its all about being a kid in the 90's and a teen in the 50's and an adult in the 20's and 30's 😃👍

• Yeah, I didn't listen to much 80s music back then (born in 79). I find myself looking for a lot more 80s music now. SOME of the covers are ok / good.

• Great reasons indeed, especially 1, 5 and 6. I would also add - better movies, cartoons and comic books.

• i wanna go back to 1520 Lol :P

• OK, that wall of Roland Jupiter 8 synths from number 5 just gave me an orgasm.

I was born in 1980, and the 80s are still my favorite decade that I have lived through.

• The 80's were the absolute best.
    The only shitty part of the 80's was the piece of garbage president we had.
    Music was WAY better
    I don't agree with most of your post but I do agree it was best.
    If we could have only had the technology we have now back then... oy vay...

• the prime of metal. stage diving was legal.

• You missed arcades.
    I spent quarters at the arcade. I made the guys millionaire by now.
    Especially at fighting games.

• Pretty much, Only music?

• Not only. See about the No phones stuff for example.

• 1,2,5,7 are about music lol.

3,4, and 6 are just pretty much about dating...

I am not attacking you or anything, I agree... I would love to live in a world that I could go outside and play with my friends all day, and we are really too connected these days...

But that world is not lost, it still exists! People play outside, don't care about there phones or messages, clubs have always sucked TBH,

You just have to find the right people :-)

• New Wave music was like Disco taking a long, hot shower and sending all the clothes to the cleaners. It was creative, optimistic and sophisticated. Duran Duran. Flock of seagulls. Wang Chung. Thomas Dolby. And my favorite "Dont you forget about me" by Simple Minds. Although that era ended before i was born, i feel as though that's my era. Disco expressed the carelessness and lack of hope of Carter's stagflation of the 70's, evolving into Reagans optimism and growth of the early 80s to early 90s culminating in the evaporation of the feared Soviet Union. I miss an era i did not live in. I wish i had, but i'd be about 50 now.

• There's a confusion about what New Wave is and what not actually. Many Synth-Pop bands/artists are branded as New Wave which is wrong in my opinion. First of all New Wave was totally "Anti-Disco" and I believe New Wave was a genre closer to Punk, but it was more "poppish" and bass was the lead instrument.

A great example of an actual New Wave band is The Vapors.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dmlafEeiKqY

• I don't miss the 80's.

• I miss the 80's!!!

• I know in person the person who wrote the musical the logo of which you are using as the first picture.

• Eugh I'd hate to live in the 80s. And 1,2,5 and 7 are basically the same thing

• Why hate?

• Folk Metal? Crap. I'm a Hard Rock/Glam Metal/AOR guy mostly.

• Folk metal is amazing (well some of it), it can be heavy and dynamic while still being very melodic and enjoyable

• As you can see by my profile picture, I too am a lover of the 1980s. Let's hope that Delorean turns up soon!

• Please take me back when you find the means.

• If you find a DeLorean with a working flux capacitor LET ME KNOW, I wish I was a teenager in the 80's as well! We missed out on such a good time!

FWIW, many of the great bands from the 80's are still AWESOME to see live today...

• Not a teenager, but a young adult mostly.